Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1925 1926 [1927] 1928 1929 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14422576 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #28890 on: March 13, 2013, 06:58:38 pm »

We managed to remove the bubonic plague from everywhere except for a few areas of the world, so it's not much of a problem, it'd seem.
All it takes is one in the water supply. It killed a third of europe. Not tt it's going to now, but imagine the carnage if it was released. Think about how many people would die before we get people vaccinated.

A problem people have is they think of these infections in term's of Pandemic 2. The Disease isn't going to kill everyone. Remember on 9/11 3000 people died. If a terrorist kills 30,000 people, he is a winner.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28891 on: March 13, 2013, 07:44:17 pm »

We managed to remove the bubonic plague from everywhere except for a few areas of the world, so it's not much of a problem, it'd seem.
All it takes is one in the water supply. It killed a third of europe. Not tt it's going to now, but imagine the carnage if it was released. Think about how many people would die before we get people vaccinated.

A problem people have is they think of these infections in term's of Pandemic 2. The Disease isn't going to kill everyone. Remember on 9/11 3000 people died. If a terrorist kills 30,000 people, he is a winner.
We still have cases of the bubonic plauge.  It just doesn't spread like it did in Europe. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28892 on: March 13, 2013, 08:10:51 pm »

We still have cases of the bubonic plauge.  It just doesn't spread like it did in Europe.
Of course, how frighted would your average idiot be when confronted with the fact they have the most famous disease in existance?

"HOLY SHIT I'M GOING TO DIE JUST LIKE ALL THOSE BROS IN THE RENEESENSE. RENAISANX. RENAI. fuck it. IN THAT OLD PLACE THAT THE FAIR SOMETIMES DOES!"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28893 on: March 13, 2013, 08:15:56 pm »

It doesn't "just not spread". Increased santitaition is a major factor, especially it's insect-borne-ness, but that could be easily remedied by the right guy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28894 on: March 13, 2013, 08:16:26 pm »

The realization that I've been going in circles on these boards. Fresh stimulus is something i need to partake in immediately.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28895 on: March 13, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »

So apparently one of my professors is completely incompetent. Granted, it's a honors program survey-level course I had to knock out, but even then it should teach something. It's gotten to the point where most of the class mocks the professor behind her back.

Among other sins:
-The powerpoints and exams are rife with really basic errors. I'm talking about things like there/their/they're style misuse, blatantly incorrect grammatical constructs, confusion over the difference between plural "s" and possessive "s".
-In relation to the above: "Duece ex machinea". I'm not fucking kidding. Even pronounced it like that.
-Our last test was two pages of multiple choice questions. Roughly the last third were duplicates of the first third. It took roughly three minutes to complete, and I spent another ten correcting all of the spelling and usage errors.

But yeah, shit from the misspelled Latin. Oh, and the entire first half of the semester has been devoted partially to misrepresenting Aristotle, and partly to explaining the purpose of the lobby and ushers in a theatre.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28896 on: March 13, 2013, 08:20:17 pm »

Of course, how frighted would your average idiot be when confronted with the fact they have the most famous disease in existance?

"HOLY SHIT I'M GOING TO DIE JUST LIKE ALL THOSE BROS IN THE RENEESENSE. RENAISANX. RENAI. fuck it. IN THAT OLD PLACE THAT THE FAIR SOMETIMES DOES!"
Apparently you have a 85% survival rate if treated.
But is your average idiot going to know about the history of the black death?
According to this quiz I just took, it was the bubonic plague that led to the Renaissance.  Who knew art would teach you so much about deadly pandemics?

So apparently one of my professors is completely incompetent. Granted, it's a honors program survey-level course I had to knock out, but even then it should teach something. It's gotten to the point where most of the class mocks the professor behind her back.

Among other sins:
-The powerpoints and exams are rife with really basic errors. I'm talking about things like there/their/they're style misuse, blatantly incorrect grammatical constructs, confusion over the difference between plural "s" and possessive "s".
-In relation to the above: "Duece ex machinea". I'm not fucking kidding. Even pronounced it like that.
-Our last test was two pages of multiple choice questions. Roughly the last third were duplicates of the first third. It took roughly three minutes to complete, and I spent another ten correcting all of the spelling and usage errors.

But yeah, shit from the misspelled Latin. Oh, and the entire first half of the semester has been devoted partially to misrepresenting Aristotle, and partly to explaining the purpose of the lobby and ushers in a theatre.
So either the machine now has bodily functions, or it is beast at tennis.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28897 on: March 13, 2013, 08:20:40 pm »

Honestly I can understand Honorary degrees for people who obviously know the topic but havn't been through school.

But to me honorary degrees should NEVER be given out to someone who has made important and impressive accomplishments within a field but who doesn't know the material required to pass the course.

Mind you Honorary degrees are just ways to add people to their roster.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28898 on: March 13, 2013, 08:49:18 pm »

Among other sins:

I'll preemptively assume that's she in a bad way and mocking her will not help matters.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28899 on: March 13, 2013, 08:53:12 pm »

Honestly I can understand Honorary degrees for people who obviously know the topic but havn't been through school.

But to me honorary degrees should NEVER be given out to someone who has made important and impressive accomplishments within a field but who doesn't know the material required to pass the course.

Mind you Honorary degrees are just ways to add people to their roster.

Honors programs aren't the same as honorary degrees.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28900 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:15 pm »

Among other sins:

I'll preemptively assume that's she in a bad way and mocking her will not help matters.

I honestly believe that I would have to try to do worse, and I'm terminally afraid of speaking in front of large groups. Granted, low-level gen-ed courses are the best place to start new professors, but we're talking about someone who is clearly unfit to teach. There's a point where I stop caring about someone's feelings and start caring about the fact that a room full of people are paying money and spending time for a net gain of zero. In fact, incompetence is one of the very few things that I absolutely cannot abide in an educator; I've had cruel professors, anal-retentive professors, and so forth, but none of those are as dreadful, and moreover I still learned from them.

More succinctly, if I am paying money and giving up my time in exchange for an organized unit of knowledge and am instead presented with a sloppy, ignorant mess that teaches me nothing, I have no issue with calling attention to that. When someone who is clearly incapable of doing a job elects to do so anyways, and causes harm to others in the process, I'm going to call attention to it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28901 on: March 13, 2013, 11:28:00 pm »

You did not address the original assertion that mocking probably won't actually help matters :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28902 on: March 14, 2013, 12:18:21 am »

You did not address the original assertion that mocking probably won't actually help matters :P

But you will gain a smug sense of superiority, which is almost as good.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28903 on: March 14, 2013, 12:35:00 am »

Apparently you have a 85% survival rate if treated.
But is your average idiot going to know about the history of the black death?
Black Death isn't as much of an issue as it used to be since most of humanity is currently descended from survivors. Remember, the plague rats followed the Mongols all across Asia to get to Europe, Europe was just hit the hardest. Between that and the Native Americans being mostly wiped out later, the most vulnerable humans would be those who's background is African or from any of the island chains. Even then, that assumes no genetic exposure to the survivor populations at all, which is much less likely than people believe. Contrary to popular opinion, there are almost no people who are "purely" of one ethnicity. The only ones who could even potentially qualify for that would be the more isolated island populations.
According to this quiz I just took, it was the bubonic plague that led to the Renaissance.  Who knew art would teach you so much about deadly pandemics?
Try the other way around. With so many dead people the survivors carved up the land and resources that were no longer being as heavily taxed, which created the proto-industrial conditions of the Renaissance. It helped that most of the Old Guard of the time had died of plague by this point and thus weren't in a position to hinder new ideas.

And now, an interesting fact: Budapest, which at the time was simply called Buda, was completely missed by the Black Plague. Venice, on the other hand, lost the majority of its population.

Another interesting fact: I may or may not have at one point been exposed to Bubonic Plague. I didn't catch it, but I did accidentally come in physical contact with a dead rat in an area notorious for infections of Bubonic Plauge (New Mexico, for the record). Fell right on the thing. It was a very nerve-wracking few days, not helped by my mother's screeching rage about it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:27:29 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28904 on: March 14, 2013, 01:20:16 am »

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 ... 1925 1926 [1927] 1928 1929 ... 11039