Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1924 1925 [1926] 1927 1928 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14422136 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #28875 on: March 13, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »

What seems peculiar to me is that the same group of regulars seem to be in every Mafia game even though they all hate each other (or so it seems). It's almost as if they like aggravating their blood vessels! They may be afflicted with a malady. I say, we must get them to a hospital!

The Mafia players do seem to have an interesting relationship. It's less actual hostility than a rather harsh form of banter, really.
It's a combination of forced suspicion/hostility due to how the game works and the play-to-win mentality the forum encourages. Most arguments are over in-game transgressions, and as such are discarded once the game is over.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28876 on: March 13, 2013, 04:12:32 pm »

The US just bought 463 million dollars worth of medicine.

So how is this a bad thing, you ask. Well, it's medicine against a disease which has been eradicated* for 30 years.

*Well, eredicated safe for 2 samples, which are stored in heavily guarded labratories in Moscow and Atlanta.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28877 on: March 13, 2013, 04:24:40 pm »

The US just bought 463 million dollars worth of medicine.

So how is this a bad thing, you ask. Well, it's medicine against a disease which has been eradicated* for 30 years.

*Well, eredicated safe for 2 samples, which are stored in heavily guarded labratories in Moscow and Atlanta.
Oh yes, was very happy to hear that. Mostly because the bio-terrorism threat is severly under-estimated. If there was a Small-pox outbreak, humans wouldn't have any immunity left over, nor any vaccines.

Besides, it's a bargain at 2 million cases worth. That's only 231.5 dollars a person cured. That is freaking cheap.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28878 on: March 13, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »

There are worse biodangers than smallpox. Much worse.

Besides, as I said before, the only samples are stored in Moscow or Atlanta. So either they screwded up, or they're not trusting the Russsians for some reason.

Oh, and 231.5 dollars is very, very expensive for any medicin. Especially one as simple as the smallpox vacine . Besides, If I recall correctly, it's a vaccin rather than a medicin.
And the US already got millions of cases lying around. (Like 200-300 million)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:32:46 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28879 on: March 13, 2013, 04:32:45 pm »

I swear, me and this other dude in my class are plagiarizing each other in our sleeps.  Neither of us bring our papers or work to school, until today (Since we had to), due to us both being paranoid.  We look at each others papers, and we have essentially the exact same thesis with the same general body paragraphs. 
The main difference is that he is saying that 1984 is a parallel novel to Fahrenheit 451, and presents their unique views on censorship, while I'm saying that 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 prevent their unique view on how a regime can take power, and how censorship is necessary.  We both have paragraphs on the authors political beliefs, their other works, and about the banned book list. 

The reason this is a WTF and not a rage about him plagiarizing my paper is because there is absolutely no way he could of seen my paper without hacking into my laptop, and he is one of those people with their silly 'Morals' about 'Earning your own grade.' 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28880 on: March 13, 2013, 04:43:22 pm »

There are worse biodangers than smallpox. Much worse.

Besides, as I said before, the only samples are stored in Moscow or Atlanta. So either they screwded up, or they're not trusting the Russsians for some reason.

Oh, and 231.5 dollars is very, very expensive for any medicin. Especially one as simple as the smallpox vacine . Besides, If I recall correctly, it's a vaccin rather than a medicin.
And the US already got millions of cases lying around. (Like 200-300 million)
Yeah, but it works by injecting you with the Cow's Pox. There is a percentage of the population who suffer deadly reactions to cow pox, and in an emergency would die.

But other bro-emergencies such as Anthrax, or literally just pissed off medical employees. The thing about the attacks is it can start really really small.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28881 on: March 13, 2013, 04:43:46 pm »

On a seperate note, how the hell did English manage to translate Sancta Sedes as the Holy See.

For those who don't know their Latin, the correct translation is The Holy chair, seat, ...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #28882 on: March 13, 2013, 04:55:28 pm »

Someone apparently died 3/4 through telling someone else what it meant.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28883 on: March 13, 2013, 04:56:54 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:35:23 pm by Ogdibus »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28884 on: March 13, 2013, 06:36:14 pm »

Anthrax
The reason in history we put 'Anthrax' at the second highest danger level.

The teacher said bio weapons were low on the danger level, which I thought was utter bull. (we had to put situations into order from least to most dangerous. Nukes were put at the top, for obvious reasons)
Anthrax is actually pretty curable depending on time,
Smallpox on the other hand......

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28885 on: March 13, 2013, 06:41:05 pm »

But other bro-emergencies such as Anthrax, or literally just pissed off medical employees.
Just saw the "bro-emergencies". Made me laugh.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28886 on: March 13, 2013, 06:44:57 pm »

Anthrax
The reason in history we put 'Anthrax' at the second highest danger level.

The teacher said bio weapons were low on the danger level, which I thought was utter bull. (we had to put situations into order from least to most dangerous. Nukes were put at the top, for obvious reasons)
Anthrax is actually pretty curable depending on time,
Smallpox on the other hand......
Actually, even if you identify it early, there's still quite a significant chance you'll die. And most cases won't be diagnosed until intensive care will a best give 50/50 odds.

Also, it can last for 70 years before dying, and you need only a few hundred spores per person, and the people will also become spare factories...
Not to mention, at least one strain of anthrax will develop resistance if there is a bio weapon attack due to the large number of people that'll be infected.

TDR-anthrax, anyone?

EDIT: 'when treated early (seen in the 2001 anthrax attacks), observed mortality was 45%'
which is still hell i can say that but its able to be fought off we got the drugs to do it.
Smallpox being a viral infection requires a vaccination to successfully hold off that mess. We haven't been vaccinated for smallpox for more than 20 years now, see what happens when that breaks out.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28887 on: March 13, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »

Anyway, it's not just those. There are the wonderful things such asssssss...
 Botulinum toxin[23] Botulinum toxin is one of the deadliest toxins known, and is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. Botulism causes death by respiratory failure and paralysis.[24] Furthermore, the toxin is readily available worldwide due to its cosmetic applications in injections

Bubonic plague[25] Plague is a disease caused by the Yersinia pestis bacterium. Rodents are the normal host of plague, and the disease is transmitted to humans by flea bites and occasionally by aerosol in the form of pneumonic plague.[26] The disease has a history of use in biological warfare dating back many centuries, and is considered a threat due to its ease of culture and ability to remain in circulation among local rodents for a long period of time. The weaponized threat comes mainly in the form of pneumonic plague (infection by inhalation)[27] It was the disease that caused the Black Death in Medieval Europe.

Viral hemorrhagic fevers[28] This includes hemorrhagic fevers caused by members of the family Filoviridae (Marburg virus and Ebola virus), and by the family Arenaviridae (for example Lassa virus and Machupo virus). Ebola virus disease has fatality rates ranging from 50–90%. No cure currently exists, although vaccines are in development. The Soviet Union investigated the use of filoviruses for biological warfare, and the Aum Shinrikyo group unsuccessfully attempted to obtain cultures of Ebola virus.[citation needed] Death from Ebola virus disease is commonly due to multiple organ failure and hypovolemic shock. Marburg virus was first discovered in Marburg, Germany. No treatments currently exist aside from supportive care. The arenaviruses have a somewhat reduced case-fatality rate compared to disease caused by filoviruses, but are more widely distributed, chiefly in central Africa and South America.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28888 on: March 13, 2013, 06:56:07 pm »

Well, we have retrovirals that may or may not be effective against smallpox, and max vaccination is simple enough. It also won't last as long in the wild. You could release anthrax now, and cases could still be cropping up in 50 years' time.
and there are many factors to anthrax infections too, skin infections is 20% mortality rate when it enters your bloodstream, 90% for second-stage inhalation, almost 100% gastrointestinal. Anthrax doesn't spread human to human too so you have to be in contact with the source to be sick. Anthrax can be knocked out real easy by dumping antibotics into the system.

edit: bubonic plague is mostly seen when you are living with vermin and botulism is spread by spoiled food (which can be a prime target for terrorism). fuck ebola virus, fuck it long, fuck it hard, nothing scares me more than that disease.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #28889 on: March 13, 2013, 06:57:18 pm »

Amazing the things you learn around here.

"I am Loquacious of Board. Resistance is futile. You will be educated."
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 1924 1925 [1926] 1927 1928 ... 11039