Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1914 1915 [1916] 1917 1918 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14430260 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #28725 on: March 11, 2013, 07:26:24 pm »

God fucking damn it poes law, I can't even tell!
“Replayability” merits nothing less than the best and most powerful contempt we can conjure against it.
And that’s because “replayability”, if I can be so bold as to use the following phrase in a semi-ironical manner, is what is fucking wrong with videogames.

He isn't even ranting about the concept, he means the word...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28726 on: March 11, 2013, 07:42:25 pm »

God fucking damn it poes law, I can't even tell!
“Replayability” merits nothing less than the best and most powerful contempt we can conjure against it.
And that’s because “replayability”, if I can be so bold as to use the following phrase in a semi-ironical manner, is what is fucking wrong with videogames.

He isn't even ranting about the concept, he means the word...
Mental masturbation at its finest. *shrug* Read it once, lacked rereadability.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28727 on: March 11, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »

The prefix 'Re' in 'Replayability' implies that the 'playability' is present in multiple playthroughs. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28728 on: March 11, 2013, 07:47:45 pm »

I believe the word's root is "replay" rather than "playability."
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28729 on: March 11, 2013, 07:49:32 pm »

In that case the word would imply that replayability is how capable something is when it is replayed. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28730 on: March 11, 2013, 07:51:21 pm »

That's how I interpret the word, yes :D
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28731 on: March 11, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »

The prefix 'Re' in 'Replayability' implies that the 'playability' is present in multiple playthroughs.
Well, I get the gist of the basic argument, which is that "replayability", strictly speaking is present in EVERY game. In that you can play a game more than once, in the same way that you can watch a DVD more than once. But as a gaming term, it's come to encapsulate things like random level design, branching story paths, etc. Essentially the ability to play the game multiple times and get a different narrative or strategic experience out of it.

If the fact that we use words for things that are not their literal meaning bothers the dude, he should probably find a different language than English. We do that shit all the time (by which I do not mean we use fecal matter regularly).

EDIT: No, no, no...the word obviously derives from "rep" + "layability". Hence, how a game's reputation enhances your ability to get laid.  :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:53:13 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28732 on: March 11, 2013, 07:53:17 pm »

In that case the word would imply that replayability is how capable something is when it is replayed.
Is playability how capable something is when it is played?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28733 on: March 11, 2013, 08:05:48 pm »

Playability refers to ones ability to 'play' a game, rather than just operate it. 'Playing' something is different from just 'doing' something, and fun is one of several important factors, thus 'Playability' often refers to how fun something is.

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
« Reply #28734 on: March 11, 2013, 08:55:02 pm »

The morpheme "re-" may only be attached to verbs, but "playable" is an adjective and "playability" is a noun. Therefore, the construction must proceed as "play" -> "replay" -> "replayable" -> "replayability."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28735 on: March 11, 2013, 09:15:17 pm »

My computer just locked up completely. Nothing would respond. Mouse wouldn't move, task manager wouldn't work, everything on the screen stopped.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28736 on: March 11, 2013, 09:24:44 pm »

My computer just locked up completely. Nothing would respond. Mouse wouldn't move, task manager wouldn't work, everything on the screen stopped.
smack it harder, show your dominance.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28737 on: March 11, 2013, 09:55:58 pm »

The morpheme "re-" may only be attached to verbs, but "playable" is an adjective and "playability" is a noun. Therefore, the construction must proceed as "play" -> "replay" -> "replayable" -> "replayability."
You guys just got 20% more educated.

btw, Doctus, what does your personal text say? Google Translate only pops up gibberish beginning with "dusk" and ending with a few characters that are left untranslated for some reason.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28738 on: March 11, 2013, 10:12:55 pm »

For some reason my $19 phone recharge just gave me $250 credit. ??? Not complaining or anything, but y'know...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
« Reply #28739 on: March 11, 2013, 10:24:12 pm »

btw, Doctus, what does your personal text say? Google Translate only pops up gibberish beginning with "dusk" and ending with a few characters that are left untranslated for some reason.

It's the start of Lina Inverse's signature spell incantation in Slayers. "The one darker than twilight..." or "thou who art darker than twilight..."
Pages: 1 ... 1914 1915 [1916] 1917 1918 ... 11039