Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1904 1905 [1906] 1907 1908 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442601 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #28575 on: March 08, 2013, 10:16:08 am »

It's not contradictory, the snakes are bad (falling to temptation of sin), the ladders are good (God's intervention) and when you reach the top that you are seeking (heaven), you win. It could, and has, be cited as a religious metaphor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_and_Ladders
The historic version had root in morality lessons, where a player's progression up the board represented a life journey complicated by virtues (ladders) and vices (snakes).
Snakes and Ladders originated in India as part of a family of dice board games, including pachisi (present-day Ludo and Parcheesi). It was known as moksha pAtam or vaikunthapaali or paramapada sopaanam (the ladder to salvation).
Moksha Patam was associated with traditional Hindu philosophy contrasting karma and kama, or destiny and desire. It emphasized destiny, as opposed to games such as pachisi, which focused on life as a mixture of skill (free will[5]) and luck. The game has also been interpreted and used as a tool for teaching the effects of good deeds versus bad. The ladders represented virtues such as generosity, faith, and humility, while the snakes represented vices such as lust, anger, murder, and theft. The morality lesson of the game was that a person can attain salvation (Moksha) through doing good, whereas by doing evil one will inherit rebirth to lower forms of life. The number of ladders was less than the number of snakes as a reminder that a path of good is much more difficult to tread than a path of sins.

I think we even had a copy once when I was a kid, where each of the snakes was labelled with a different one of the 7 deadly sins, and i think the ladders were labelled as various virtues.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:21:30 am by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28576 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:30 am »

Of course, the more recent versions have been called "Chutes and Ladders". Probably got a complaint from the pro-snake crowd.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28577 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:47 am »

Roll to Sin: The Biblical RTD?

E: Oh god spam. Spam coming from a person with the name of my father. No way to see the e-mail adress without opening it tough. Damn you gmail. Is there any risk to this?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:43:56 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28578 on: March 08, 2013, 11:39:31 am »

Of course, the more recent versions have been called "Chutes and Ladders". Probably got a complaint from the pro-snake crowd.

Not "more recent", just American. "Chutes and Ladders" is the Milton Bradley / Hasbro version, Snakes and Ladders couldn't be copyrighted. It's Snakes and Ladders in every other country, except Canada where the largest company making local Snakes and Ladders games went out of business, so they started importing the Hasbro one.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:46:02 am by Reelya »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28579 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:07 am »

Roll to Sin: The Biblical RTD?

E: Oh god spam. Spam coming from a person with the name of my father. No way to see the e-mail adress without opening it tough. Damn you gmail. Is there any risk to this?
Hm. Looks like it could just be coincidence. It's very possible that the website where this mail comes from has my e-mail adress. Nothing too spammy about it, except for some contests to win festival tickets and t-shirts of singers and festivals I a) Don't even know about and b) Don't give a shit about.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #28580 on: March 08, 2013, 11:52:53 am »

Eh, I've gotten spam from someone whose name is the same as my cousin.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28581 on: March 08, 2013, 11:53:30 am »

So Kissinger was apperantly called a murderer or killer on the Radio.

Uhhh... Why? I don't remember him being in a possition that allowed him to kill people.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28582 on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:45 am »

He orchestrated the whole Allende thing in Chile, and was prominent in coordinating the carpet-bombing of Cambodia which destabilized the country, lead to a famine due to destruction of the agricultural base (later conveniently blamed on Pol Pot), and ultimately lead to Pol Pot's rise to power.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:58:49 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28583 on: March 08, 2013, 11:56:55 am »

He orchestrated the whole Allende thing, and was prominent in coordinating the carpet-bombing of Cambodia which destabilized the country, lead to a famine due to destruction of the agricultural base (later conveniently blamed on Pol Pot), and ultimately lead to Pol Pot's rise to power.

Ahh makes sense.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28584 on: March 08, 2013, 12:06:01 pm »

Yeah, Dr. K is pretty much persona non grata in a number of countries. I've met him, he's an affable enough guy, but if there's a Heaven he's going to have a lot to answer for before he can get in.

Likewise, I've met Zbignew Brezinzki (Carter's national security advisor, who pushed the idea of arming the mujhadeen in Afghanistan). Also an affable, humorous gentleman. Doesn't like to talk about what went wrong in Afghanistan. Not that I'm putting ZB in the same camp as Kissinger, but I'm just saying....there's a lot of genuinely nice, intelligent people in Washington who have nonetheless committed some terrible decisions which wound up costing a lot of lives.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28585 on: March 08, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »

That's how it ends up, usually. Be it a government, a corporation, or any other hierarchy, the morals of the individuals within the system get overridden by the system's goals.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28586 on: March 08, 2013, 12:09:55 pm »

I call bullshit. This guy has clearly never played a game of monopoly. It always goes for about two hours too long, gets boring for everybody but the two people who go bankrupt very, very quickly, and then gets boring for those two people soon after, and ends in squabbling about where that extra money came from. Monopoly is a family slayer!
What ? But monopoly is a competition and the one that wins is the one that managed to grab the most 100$ (or 500) from the bank without being seen. It's to be more realistic !

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28587 on: March 08, 2013, 12:11:01 pm »

I call bullshit. This guy has clearly never played a game of monopoly. It always goes for about two hours too long, gets boring for everybody but the two people who go bankrupt very, very quickly, and then gets boring for those two people soon after, and ends in squabbling about where that extra money came from. Monopoly is a family slayer!
What ? But monopoly is a competition and the one that wins is the one that managed to grab the most 100$ (or 500) from the bank without being seen. It's to be more realistic !
No, no. You win monopoly if you manage to get the most expensive street.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28588 on: March 08, 2013, 12:15:09 pm »

No, no. You win monopoly if you manage to get the most expensive street.
Only if other people actually land on it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28589 on: March 08, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »

You win monopoly if you have a hotel, because there's actually people other than their opponents using those.
Pages: 1 ... 1904 1905 [1906] 1907 1908 ... 11040