Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1889 1890 [1891] 1892 1893 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14452329 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #28350 on: March 06, 2013, 12:41:20 pm »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28351 on: March 06, 2013, 12:43:34 pm »

Alien Trilogy is only really bad in its collision mechanic - you can aim up and down, but will kill shorter enemies by shooting over them - most signifigantly, facehuggers. It also suffers from being far too easy until the last third, then is far, far too hard. The weapons are very limited, though the shotgun and pulse rifle are both fun. The flamethrower was a big let down. Panzer Dragoon is an ok "on rails shooter" that gets all too easy and boring when you work out the homing shot mechanic, which IIRC wasnt even mentioned in the manual. Clockwork Knight? Well, the tweeness spolied it for me. There was probably a decent platform game in there trying to get out from behind a ridicoulous premise.
This is a blank sig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28352 on: March 06, 2013, 01:17:56 pm »

The best ever example I've seen of the Prisoners dilemma worked like this:

Two people have "won" $50,000. They then have to sit down, converse, and secretly submit whether they want to cooperate or betray. If you both cooperate, you each get $25k. If one of you betrays, he gets the whole thing. Usually, no matter what you plan to do, you want to convince the other person to cooperate, because if you both betray, neither of you get anything (for psychological reasons, this is still the Prisoner's Dilemma - there is inherent value in insuring the other person gets nothing for betraying you. But it made it more likely for people to pick cooperate)

These two people sit down. One of them opens up the conversation by being very straightforward.
"I am going to betray you."
The other person is taken aback. Asks wtf he was doing.
"I am going to betray you. It's pretty simple. There's nothing you can do to change the outcome of my vote. But there is this - if you cooperate, I will give you half the winnings after the show. This guarantees that you can't betray me. You still have your choice - whether to trust me or not - but mine is simple. There is no better situation for me than betraying. So I am 100% absolutely positively going to betray you. Saying this is my gesture of trust - I am honest. I am being 100% honest with you right now, and am going to give you the other half if you choose to cooperate. I am not playing deceptively, but I am not going to play the game in a way where I'm going to lose, so I am going to betray."
Everyone is riveted, the host too. The other guy says "So my only chance is to cooperate and hope you give me half?"
"Yes."

No one can believe this. In a great many iterations, no one had ever taken the stance that they were DEFINITELY going to betray.

They submit their votes... and both players have submitted "cooperate". Turns out the guy wasn't being truthful at all. But it's probably the best lie I've ever seen.

Man, I wish I could remember the name of the show...

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28353 on: March 06, 2013, 01:22:25 pm »

Alien Trilogy is only really bad in its collision mechanic - you can aim up and down, but will kill shorter enemies by shooting over them - most signifigantly, facehuggers. It also suffers from being far too easy until the last third, then is far, far too hard. The weapons are very limited, though the shotgun and pulse rifle are both fun. The flamethrower was a big let down. Panzer Dragoon is an ok "on rails shooter" that gets all too easy and boring when you work out the homing shot mechanic, which IIRC wasnt even mentioned in the manual. Clockwork Knight? Well, the tweeness spolied it for me. There was probably a decent platform game in there trying to get out from behind a ridicoulous premise.

I find that games that are considered too easy can be usually sorted if you just turn up the difficulty to the maximum. That's how I made doom actually playable otherwise it would just be a cakewalk. Granted, it will make life harder for you when you deal with the hard levels but then if you complete it, you are a legendary soldier. Big Boss, yo.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28354 on: March 06, 2013, 01:38:36 pm »

Kind of in need of money. Work is swamped and willing to shovel out OT. Now that I'm seperated, I don't have a lot to do in the evenings.

Cue me designing a schedule for myself which (if approved) will net 48 hours OT in a two-week period. Can just about double my paycheck, if I don't mind the whole "please dear god kill me" aspect by the end of it. But at the end of said hell, I'll have a weekend away with my love, so I think it's doable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28355 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »

The Pirate Bay move to Korea was a Hoax, apparently
So... they were just testing their user base?
Its more likely they were waiting to see what the anti-pirates' reaction was.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28356 on: March 06, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »

^^^Funny story, it was more directed at North Korea than TPB^^^
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28357 on: March 06, 2013, 02:20:25 pm »

^^^Funny story, it was more directed at North Korea than TPB^^^
The Pirate Bay move to Korea was a Hoax, apparently
So... they were just testing their user base?
Its more likely they were waiting to see what the anti-pirates' reaction was.
Regardless, it's interesting fallout.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28358 on: March 06, 2013, 03:59:16 pm »

The best ever example I've seen of the Prisoners dilemma worked like this:

Two people have "won" $50,000. They then have to sit down, converse, and secretly submit whether they want to cooperate or betray. If you both cooperate, you each get $25k. If one of you betrays, he gets the whole thing. Usually, no matter what you plan to do, you want to convince the other person to cooperate, because if you both betray, neither of you get anything (for psychological reasons, this is still the Prisoner's Dilemma - there is inherent value in insuring the other person gets nothing for betraying you. But it made it more likely for people to pick cooperate)

These two people sit down. One of them opens up the conversation by being very straightforward.
"I am going to betray you."
The other person is taken aback. Asks wtf he was doing.
"I am going to betray you. It's pretty simple. There's nothing you can do to change the outcome of my vote. But there is this - if you cooperate, I will give you half the winnings after the show. This guarantees that you can't betray me. You still have your choice - whether to trust me or not - but mine is simple. There is no better situation for me than betraying. So I am 100% absolutely positively going to betray you. Saying this is my gesture of trust - I am honest. I am being 100% honest with you right now, and am going to give you the other half if you choose to cooperate. I am not playing deceptively, but I am not going to play the game in a way where I'm going to lose, so I am going to betray."
Everyone is riveted, the host too. The other guy says "So my only chance is to cooperate and hope you give me half?"
"Yes."

No one can believe this. In a great many iterations, no one had ever taken the stance that they were DEFINITELY going to betray.

They submit their votes... and both players have submitted "cooperate". Turns out the guy wasn't being truthful at all. But it's probably the best lie I've ever seen.

Man, I wish I could remember the name of the show...

Golden balls. Loved that show.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28359 on: March 06, 2013, 04:56:11 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twvkzugLtu0
The comments and description being russian does not help much. 

And to sum it up for people who don't want to watch- I can't sum it up.  I tried, but I can't.  I stopped once I tried describing the part about the unicorn in a box. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:02:47 pm by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28360 on: March 06, 2013, 05:06:47 pm »

And to sum it up for people who don't want to watch- I can't sum it up.  I tried, but I can't.  I stopped once I tried describing the part about the unicorn in a box.
Any context? Because it's amazing. My guess would be unicorn is a euphemism for something. Something sciency.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28361 on: March 06, 2013, 05:08:27 pm »

Any context? Because it's amazing. My guess would be unicorn is a euphemism for something. Something sciency.
None.  None at all.  I was watching a video about Das Boot, and that was one of youtube's suggestions. 

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28362 on: March 06, 2013, 05:23:08 pm »

Yeah, it's not a literal horse with a horn. That would be stupid. It's just a narwhal with a rebreather.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28363 on: March 06, 2013, 05:26:10 pm »

Yeah, it's not a literal horse with a horn. That would be stupid. It's just a narwhal with a rebreather.
Why would a Narwhal need a rebreather?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28364 on: March 06, 2013, 05:28:40 pm »

Logic suspends itself in reality when Narwhals masquerade as Unicorns within impossible boxes.
Pages: 1 ... 1889 1890 [1891] 1892 1893 ... 11040