Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1869 1870 [1871] 1872 1873 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14465604 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #28050 on: March 02, 2013, 10:05:11 am »

They don't feel like cousins, though. This kid is going to be 20 years younger than me.
My mother has one cousin who is five years younger than me. She has another cousin is nearly as old as her mother would have been.

So these two cousins are also then first cousins to each other, despite an age gap of about 50 years.

Spoiler: Explanation. (click to show/hide)

I also have an aunt and uncle younger than I am. Big family trees and divorce/remarriage cycles lead to weirdness like that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28051 on: March 02, 2013, 10:59:28 am »

I open the fridge, and THE ENTIRE TOP SHELF IS FULL OF ORANGE JUICE. WTF???
Is there a cabinet full of vodka?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28052 on: March 02, 2013, 11:15:38 am »

Libre Office it's called nowadays, iirc (and there's the ninja). And True, it works with just about anything. It'll load .doc, save .doc, whatever. Seems to have some trouble saving .docx, but meh, you generally still want to be using .doc anyway due to backwards compatibility and crap. Part of the problem with trying to break compatibility via updating, as you're suggesting M$ would (do) do is that that screws over older software their own users use and cause all sorts of problems, so they generally don't (can't, really) do anything extreme enough to genuinely cause problems.

Basically, give it a try, work with it a bit if you can spare the time. I've had pretty good luck with it so far, and dropping the arseload cash burden that comes with keeping up with office for something free (and likely more compatible with non-office formats, to boot.) is, well. Kinda' speaks for itself.

E: And frankly, the more people convert to a FOSS source for fundamental software like text editing suites and suchlike, the better it's going to be for everyone. So, like. Spread the word et al. Awareness is generally all that's really stopping stuff like the near-monopoly M$ Office has from being broken.
.docx is crap for anything besides the version of Office that uses it. Older (school) versions of Office took ages to load it (and took ages to resave it as a more speedy .doc so you don't have to waste time waiting for it to slowly save the .docx again and can go to lunch/other class sooner), libreoffice is like you said, and I haven't seen anything special about it so far.

Meanwhile, while I don't know half of the Save As options in LibreOffice or how well they work (I've only needed .doc, everything else I've needed to open has been in notepad++), there is a ton of them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28053 on: March 02, 2013, 11:29:21 am »

Or, you could stick with Office 10 and not upgrade unless M$ knocks off the subscription crap with the next iteration.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28054 on: March 02, 2013, 11:39:54 am »

Or, you could stick with Office 10 and not upgrade unless M$ knocks off the subscription crap with the next iteration.
That involves actually having bought Office 10 in the first place.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28055 on: March 02, 2013, 12:25:32 pm »

Got a guy a (an admittedly pretty crappy) job. He keeps running around calling African American people N words.... ??? ?

Then he bitches about how they fire him. I tell him, "[Name], you can't go running around calling every black person the N word!" He doesn't wanna listen.

God damn it, there's no helping somebody who does that kinda stupid shit. Now he wants me to get him another job? Screw that.

:( 'Course, now I look like an asshole for getting him the job in the first place.  "O, you know who you should help out Truean? So and so, he's blah blah blah blah blah." .... :) No good deed goes unpunished.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:34:09 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28056 on: March 02, 2013, 12:34:35 pm »

nigga be crazy

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28057 on: March 02, 2013, 12:38:10 pm »

Awww dude, none of that. Come on now. Toady's gonna be in here next thing you know and I'm gonna get blamed. :(
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28058 on: March 02, 2013, 12:39:17 pm »

I've seen Dr. Suess do it, and now I get to see Disney do it.
Education for Death, Disney's WWII Propoganda
Oh, that's a classic. I have a big collection of Disney and Warner Brothers' wartime era cartoons. The anti-German ones aren't half as uncomfortable as the anti-Japanese ones.

No kidding.  They're not even trying to be nice about it.

'And overa heer, hour honourable aircraft spotter.'
[Shows a guy with a paintbrush spotiing airplanes]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:40:51 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28059 on: March 02, 2013, 12:42:17 pm »

The anti-German ones aren't half as uncomfortable as the anti-Japanese ones.

No kidding.  They're not even trying to be nice about it.
There's a reason for that. The Germans, being a "civilized" people, are just evil when they do wrong. The Japanese, being an "uncivilized" people, are inhuman monsters when they do wrong. Racism did not exactly go away because the Axis were more racist than the Allies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28060 on: March 02, 2013, 12:46:09 pm »

Japanese are evil D:<
Or at least wartime Japan was. Though I still think the radical conservatives are still evil.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28061 on: March 02, 2013, 12:51:52 pm »

Or at least wartime Japan was. Though I still think the radical conservatives are still evil.
I like Japan though D:

I've actually been learning Japanese, as I need to know another language (can't live with myself if I only know one, even if it is as widespread as English), and I want to be stationed in Japan when I actually go fully into the military.

So, with the way my luck has been lately, I'll be stationed in SK with a language I can't use without people thinking I'm racist. XD Korea is cool too though, I think I'd like it there, though there's not much exposure to Korean things over here in MURICA. Japan is far more influential, which is part of why it's easier to learn; subbed Animes are best teachers.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28062 on: March 02, 2013, 12:52:26 pm »

I think the lesson to be learned is that none of the major WWII participants were all sunshine and lollipops.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28063 on: March 02, 2013, 12:57:35 pm »

Racist? O_o Do you mean English?
Speaking Japanese will result in the other person trying to use English, ir givingyou a weird look and going away, or mistakening your presumably bad accent for a dialect of Korean and try to talk.

Japanese is similar in cadence to a dialect called Gyungsangdo saturi("dialect"). It's rather interesting.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28064 on: March 02, 2013, 12:58:28 pm »

Awww dude, none of that. Come on now. Toady's gonna be in here next thing you know and I'm gonna get blamed. :(
Truean there was nothing hostile in that sentence itself and i have yet to get warn (kicks a elf for good luck). the douche apparently can't use words right at a good time, next time try to get him working at customer service and see what happens.

ironically the korean strict society policies scares them
Pages: 1 ... 1869 1870 [1871] 1872 1873 ... 11037