Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1855 1856 [1857] 1858 1859 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14473778 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #27840 on: February 25, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27841 on: February 25, 2013, 05:32:05 pm »

yontoo, congrats you got a google redirect, run Emisoft emergency cleaner in safe mode

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27842 on: February 25, 2013, 05:46:07 pm »

Although we're increasingly finding that a lot of genes that were thought to be "just filler" have purposes we didn't realise because they were activated so infrequently.

I wish we had more filler DNA, it'd let us live longer.
You're think of telomeres, not filler Dna. There's a slight difference.

Oh, and btw, we're working on solving that particular bug.

On another note, did you know that there's a kind of worm that can survive being cut in 16 parts. Having 30% of it's cells be stemcells probably helps. (Currently looking into it's genes for the telomere thingy)

Well, if after the telomeres, we had a bunch of filler DNA, wouldn't they act as telomeres?
just a bunch of do-nothing crap that deteriorates before our real "do-something" DNA
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27843 on: February 25, 2013, 05:54:25 pm »

You're think of telomeres, not filler Dna. There's a slight difference

The evidence linking any change in telomere length having a result on aging is... sketchy, at best. Most research seems to indicate coincidence or weak correlation rather than any sort of cause and effect relationship, last I heard.
It still can't be GOOD to have your cells start eating into DNA that actually codes for things every time they split.

Probably leads to cancer or something.

Useful thing to try and fix, at any rate.

Edit: Even if the do-nothing DNA was right after the telomeres, which is isn't, it's scattered throughout your genome and the way transcription and splitting works, I think those processes have evolved to RELY on them being where they are, so they know what to cut out.

Anyway, even if they were, that's at best a stop-gap measure. Eventually you'll run out of do-nothing DNA and all that's left is necessary DNA.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:56:45 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27844 on: February 25, 2013, 06:03:42 pm »

yontoo, congrats you got a google redirect, run Emisoft emergency cleaner in safe mode

Thanks.  I'll try it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27845 on: February 25, 2013, 08:46:41 pm »

By this time tomorrow I will be metomorphosied into PROTO-COP. I have a ten-o-clock meeting with my Recruiters OVERSERGEANT and afterwards will spin a JUSTICOON, from which I will emerge a fully fledged MILITARY POLICE RECRUIT, fourty-five days from entrance into BASIC BRAINING, where I will learn how to BEAT BATMAN AT HIS OWN GAME, as well as how to sit and STARE AT GATES ALL DAY. Afterwards I will be trained in highly dangerous PERSONAL COMBAT TRAINING, a syllabus consiting of NOT SHOTTING MYSELF IN THE FOOT LIKE AN ASS and KNOWING HOW NOT TO TOLERATE BLACK PEOPLE. I will also be given a SWANKY SUIT, which I should avoid dirtying or lose my LICENSE TO SHAKEN MARTINIS. Which I will not partake because I DO NOT LIKE ALCOHOL.

Immeditately before my metomorphasis I will EAT ONE APPLE ON MONDAY. Then on Tuesday I will EAT TWO PEARS. On Wenedsday I will DEVOUR THREE PLUMS. AND SO ON AND SO FORTH.

It was, perhaps, too much candy, before this metomorphosis, that has given me a sugar rush. But then I will FIGHT IN THE RAIN. OF SUGAR.

I AM GOING TO GO PLAY KATAWA SHOUJO.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27846 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:52 pm »

I AM GOING TO GO PLAY KATAWA SHOUJO.
I wholeheartedly support this action.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27847 on: February 25, 2013, 08:50:02 pm »

I'm listening to On Melancholy Hill on Youtube and notice that the sidebar is almost completely filled with songs by Emilie Autumn or whatever her name is. I don't even know who she is, let alone listen to anything she's made.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #27848 on: February 25, 2013, 08:54:39 pm »

My heart (as in, the physical pumping thing) feels damn weird after that beer. It's probably due to a variety of factors, but it's one of the reasons I don't drink alcohol too much :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27849 on: February 26, 2013, 12:37:02 am »

For the past... hour or so, something in this place's back yard has been making a noise that sounds distinctly like a somewhat deeper kazoo. I'm guessing it's a frog, but... honestly, I'm not going to go out into the back yard at a half hour 'till midnight in an attempt to visually identify a kazoobeast.

I just can just imagine it's somewhat soothing distorted kazoo call suddenly becoming earthshattering as it expands to twice the size of a car and just barrels over me, through the house, and proceeds to lay waste to the countryside. Kazoobeast can produce its kazoo-like mating call (presumably) in rainy peace.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #27850 on: February 26, 2013, 05:38:37 am »

For the past... hour or so, something in this place's back yard has been making a noise that sounds distinctly like a somewhat deeper kazoo. I'm guessing it's a frog, but... honestly, I'm not going to go out into the back yard at a half hour 'till midnight in an attempt to visually identify a kazoobeast.

I just can just imagine it's somewhat soothing distorted kazoo call suddenly becoming earthshattering as it expands to twice the size of a car and just barrels over me, through the house, and proceeds to lay waste to the countryside. Kazoobeast can produce its kazoo-like mating call (presumably) in rainy peace.
Please record and upload to youtube if you change your mind.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27851 on: February 26, 2013, 09:22:39 am »

My new kitten prefers the lap of my dad above all other people's. The kicker? He's allergic to cats.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27852 on: February 26, 2013, 09:32:52 am »

My new kitten prefers the lap of my dad above all other people's. The kicker? He's allergic to cats.
That's not WTF at all, that's standard operating procedure for cats. Because they're sadistic fuzzy bastards.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27853 on: February 26, 2013, 10:21:03 am »

That's not WTF at all, that's standard operating procedure for cats. Because they're sadistic fuzzy bastards.
This cat is tough. Went for my dog, took injections and tablets like it was nothing and the entire time she exuded a sense of pure adorableness. I give it a year until she either saves the world or conquers it.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27854 on: February 26, 2013, 10:24:37 am »

Your kitten's instincts are in place, then. My cat found out my girlfriend is allergic to him. What does he do? He climbs into her schoolbag and rolls around in it. Then he find the sweater I'm lending her and crawls through it a few times. Then he sits on her face when she's laying down. Puffy eyes get! Shitty sniffling monday acquired! Bad mood initialised! Take-it-out-on-partner mode activate!

Asshole cat. Wouldn't have him any other way.

(Kidding about her taking it out on me, though. She's actually really nice.)
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!
Pages: 1 ... 1855 1856 [1857] 1858 1859 ... 11037