Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14483549 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #27420 on: February 18, 2013, 09:05:01 pm »

Not really. It's extremely easy to read it as "Where are you? If only it weren't for our names we could be together." Particularly since this is a word that is almost never used in modern works.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #27421 on: February 18, 2013, 09:07:24 pm »

"Why are you Romeo?" is a pretty weird thing to say though (which is what makes the line so great). I've met a lot of people who think she actually knows Romeo is there already and she's talking to him but can't see him.

I've never had an English teacher give the wrong definition for it though.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27422 on: February 18, 2013, 09:47:04 pm »

I actually like Lord of the Flies, but that's because, even though I read it for school, it's one I got to pick out for myself and read at my own pace. I think books are ruined when you have to match the pace of everyone else and stop and discuss the symbolism (I believe that it impossible to enjoy discussing symbolism unless you are able or allowed to analyze it from a Freudian perspective.)
You know whats worse than having to match everyone else's pace? Said pace getting absolutely hammered into the ground due to people having to read shakespeare out loud, but not one of the modern english translation ones.
It doesn't even have to be Shakespeare.

In my classes there was always one kid that would stumble over the most basic words. Like pot, dog, or bell. And the rest read so abysmally slow that I could reliably read the entire book before they got three chapters in.

Admittedly, I was a particularly fast reader, and there were some kids who were acceptable at it. It was alright when one of those kids got to read.

But nobody hammed it up like I did. My presentation of Mercutio's death in Romeo and Juliette had people crying! With laughter.

My teacher has me read Shakespeare all the time because I'm able to >_>

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27423 on: February 18, 2013, 09:49:40 pm »

The biggest problem with schools and Shakespeare is that they make people read it. But Shakespeare isn't meant to be read, it's meant to be acted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27424 on: February 18, 2013, 10:05:37 pm »

I've met a lot of people who think she actually knows Romeo is there already and she's talking to him but can't see him.

I've see this quite a bit, and I don't really understand how it happens. Things like "Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?" are pretty clear-cut. That aside, the scene is absolutely hilarious, particularly Romeo's speech parodying the Petrarchan conceit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27425 on: February 18, 2013, 11:35:00 pm »

I actually like Lord of the Flies, but that's because, even though I read it for school, it's one I got to pick out for myself and read at my own pace. I think books are ruined when you have to match the pace of everyone else and stop and discuss the symbolism (I believe that it impossible to enjoy discussing symbolism unless you are able or allowed to analyze it from a Freudian perspective.)
You know whats worse than having to match everyone else's pace? Said pace getting absolutely hammered into the ground due to people having to read shakespeare out loud, but not one of the modern english translation ones.
It doesn't even have to be Shakespeare.

In my classes there was always one kid that would stumble over the most basic words. Like pot, dog, or bell. And the rest read so abysmally slow that I could reliably read the entire book before they got three chapters in.

Admittedly, I was a particularly fast reader, and there were some kids who were acceptable at it. It was alright when one of those kids got to read.

But nobody hammed it up like I did. My presentation of Mercutio's death in Romeo and Juliette had people crying! With laughter.

My teacher has me read Shakespeare all the time because I'm able to >_>
I had Lord of the Flies as required reading my senior year in high school. I liked it quite a bit. Come to think of it, senior year had pretty much all the required books that didn't bore me to death. Well, for English class, anyways. I liked history books too, though maybe it was just awesome history teachers that helped with that. Also, science books.

The biggest problem with schools and Shakespeare is that they make people read it. But Shakespeare isn't meant to be read, it's meant to be acted.
My teachers were sympathetic to this. After we would read the play, we would watch the movie. Still kinda crappy movies, but better than nothing.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27426 on: February 18, 2013, 11:38:20 pm »

One of my fondest memories from Freshmen year is that when we watched the Odyssey and Romeo and Juliet movies the teacher let us make snarky MST comments throughout the whole thing
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27427 on: February 18, 2013, 11:56:54 pm »

Ooh, I remember doing something like that with the '63 version of Jason and the Argonauts in high school. Those skeletons were pure magic.

3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27428 on: February 19, 2013, 12:04:55 am »

My friend's knife set has like a screwdriver in it. But it doesn't have a screwdriver tip, just a blunt one.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27429 on: February 19, 2013, 12:23:38 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:32:45 pm by Ogdibus »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27430 on: February 19, 2013, 12:26:23 am »

Yeah, and it has a rough texture on the side. That's probably what it is.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27431 on: February 19, 2013, 12:27:09 am »

Could be a file.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27432 on: February 19, 2013, 12:38:06 am »

Could be a file.
This. Files are fairly standard on Swiss Army knives and knockoffs thereof, and they're far from the most unusual things you'll see. I've got one with a three inch sawblade and a scaling knife.

3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27433 on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:49 am »

It's not a swiss army knife, it's a knife set. Like steak knives.

And it's not like a flat thing with one textured side, it's round and has the textured side all around it.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27434 on: February 19, 2013, 12:45:20 am »

It's not a swiss army knife, it's a knife set. Like steak knives.

And it's not like a flat thing with one textured side, it's round and has the textured side all around it.
Oh, that's a sharpening steel.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 ... 11037