Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1825 1826 [1827] 1828 1829 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14483688 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #27390 on: February 18, 2013, 06:46:35 pm »

Simon's moment with the pig's head. Just wat.

Ah, I remember 10th grade English.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What's really fun is if you're reading it on your own in 4th grade. First book to give me actual nightmares, though they didn't last nearly as long as the surreal ones generated by certain Sherlock Holmes stories that progressed from being subtly off to outright it's-full-of-stars mindfuckery. That was a bizarre time of my life.
For me, it's the kind of book that brings me good dreams. Stab stab chant kil the beast spill blood kind of good. Still, poor Simon. However, I did take much joy in dramatically reading aloud his death. Sleep, Jesus representation. SLEEP.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:49:23 pm by Slayerhero90 »
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27391 on: February 18, 2013, 06:49:00 pm »

We had to read Ender's Game.

I was some what annoyed that such a book got onto the state educations reading list, meaning to schools bought hundreds of copies of this book, supporting that asshole Orson Scott Card.
Now don't be ripping on a good series cause of that author, yea Card is somewhat a douche (wasn't batshit insane when i last met him) but its a good read and hell we got a movie and video game soon.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27392 on: February 18, 2013, 06:50:21 pm »

I was some what annoyed that such a book got onto the state educations reading list, meaning to schools bought hundreds of copies of this book, supporting that asshole Orson Scott Card.
Now don't be ripping on a good series cause of that author, yea Card is somewhat a douche (wasn't batshit insane when i last met him) but its a good read and hell we got a movie and video game soon.
The later ones are better. Politics, HO!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27393 on: February 18, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »

Oh yea, it was a great book.
I would highly recommend  procuring it in any fashion that doesn't benefit Card.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27394 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:46 pm »

Would you prefer reading 'boring as fuck' (most school english assigned reading books), or Ender's Game? The author being a dick is slightly less of a problem here, like the others have said.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #27395 on: February 18, 2013, 06:59:13 pm »

I actually like Lord of the Flies, but that's because, even though I read it for school, it's one I got to pick out for myself and read at my own pace. I think books are ruined when you have to match the pace of everyone else and stop and discuss the symbolism (I believe that it impossible to enjoy discussing symbolism unless you are able or allowed to analyze it from a Freudian perspective.)
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27396 on: February 18, 2013, 07:01:48 pm »

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:33:53 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27397 on: February 18, 2013, 07:04:38 pm »

I actually like Lord of the Flies, but that's because, even though I read it for school, it's one I got to pick out for myself and read at my own pace. I think books are ruined when you have to match the pace of everyone else and stop and discuss the symbolism (I believe that it impossible to enjoy discussing symbolism unless you are able or allowed to analyze it from a Freudian perspective.)
You know whats worse than having to match everyone else's pace? Said pace getting absolutely hammered into the ground due to people having to read shakespeare out loud, but not one of the modern english translation ones.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27398 on: February 18, 2013, 07:39:43 pm »

You know whats worse than having to match everyone else's pace? Said pace getting absolutely hammered into the ground due to people having to read shakespeare out loud, but not one of the modern english translation ones.
It doesn't even have to be Shakespeare.

In my classes there was always one kid that would stumble over the most basic words. Like pot, dog, or bell. And the rest read so abysmally slow that I could reliably read the entire book before they got three chapters in.

Admittedly, I was a particularly fast reader, and there were some kids who were acceptable at it. It was alright when one of those kids got to read.

But nobody hammed it up like I did. My presentation of Mercutio's death in Romeo and Juliette had people crying! With laughter.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27399 on: February 18, 2013, 07:44:26 pm »

More irritating is when people would stutter over perfectly normal words because their mispronunciation rendered the word rude. I'll never forget a girl in school that turned beet red when reading about the Niger river.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27400 on: February 18, 2013, 07:45:59 pm »

It doesn't even have to be Shakespeare.

In my classes there was always one kid that would stumble over the most basic words. Like pot, dog, or bell. And the rest read so abysmally slow that I could reliably read the entire book before they got three chapters in.

Admittedly, I was a particularly fast reader, and there were some kids who were acceptable at it. It was alright when one of those kids got to read.

But nobody hammed it up like I did. My presentation of Mercutio's death in Romeo and Juliette had people crying! With laughter.

I did Marc Antony's speech to the crowd, and his prior speech to himself. The class actually understood for once what someone was saying in that play without the teacher explaining it, because of my tones and inflection.
They also finally understood that Marc Antony was being incredibly caustic during that speech. "Wait, so THAT'S why the crowd flipped out!"

Of course, the teacher would only really let me read for characters that died... For some reason. I volunteered for Marc Antony's speech because she said, and I quote, "[Person that had Antony's part], you read waaay too slow. Will someone else read this part?"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27401 on: February 18, 2013, 07:57:54 pm »

Reading aloud in class was the worst.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27402 on: February 18, 2013, 08:00:24 pm »

Best for me. When I read aloud, I take on an apathetic tone with a hint of me somewhat darkly enjoying the current events, slowing down when I get to a part where someone dies so as not to stumble over the details. The sweet, blood-red details.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27403 on: February 18, 2013, 08:02:57 pm »

I kind of liked reading aloud in class. I was one of the ones that were better at it though.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27404 on: February 18, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »

My english classes have had a blast with reading in class since we all ham it up all the time or make funny faces.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1825 1826 [1827] 1828 1829 ... 11037