Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1798 1799 [1800] 1801 1802 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460057 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #26985 on: February 10, 2013, 03:37:18 am »

Wasn't sure weather this belongs in the WTF, sad, or rage threads, but here it goes.

So I'm working at a local 7-11. There's this crazy old black woman that comes in from time to time. She keeps yelling and hollering about conspiracy theories and the like. At first, it was an amusing diversion to converse with her. However, months later, getting on her good side seems to be taking it's toll. She just got louder, and more obnoxious. Tonight, she comes in and starts yelling at me from the back side of the counter area (there's a walkway around the back) and starts asking for me to get her some hotdogs off the grill. It's awkward, running back and forth from the register to her while a line is forming (and also I got a foot with chronic swelling). Then, she keeps trying to "talk" to me while I'm busy and dealing with customers (and generally trying to ignore her). Eventually she comes up to the counter and starts hollering about how she thinks I'm hitting on her. Then she starts something about her period which is somehow related to me supposedly hitting on her. Then she says "I flipped the sky and the earth 4 times yestahday! I bet you didn't even notice. You see, I got that kind uh powah!". She's being louder than usual (quite a feat). Did I mention there's a long line forming behind her, and she's occupying the space in front of my register? Yeah... I just want her to go away, but I'm not sure how to do it because I'm not sure how much of the shit she spews she actually believes.

Then I came up with this idea that the next time I see her, I would say our friendship was just a government experiment. I figure it would be hilarious for a few seconds, but that it would be kind of like playing russian roulette, except the bullets are replaced with badgers and marshmallows.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:39:55 am by Lagslayer »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26986 on: February 10, 2013, 04:35:07 am »

I'm having a slight bit of difficulty comprehending this whole "people on tumblr who don't actually post anything on tumblr and yet also reblog" biz, mostly because I'm not exactly the reblog type in the first place.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26987 on: February 10, 2013, 04:47:42 am »

Youtube is very, VERY broken.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26988 on: February 10, 2013, 09:51:38 am »

Youtube is very, VERY broken.
And, of course, the thumbnail is someone with boobs that could probably cushion her from a bullet.
With cat ears. In german.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26989 on: February 10, 2013, 11:45:09 am »

Watched Elfen Lied. That was a very WTF show.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26990 on: February 10, 2013, 12:00:16 pm »

Never noticed the cat ears, though.
Forsooth, the Fapmaster has spoken. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26991 on: February 10, 2013, 12:38:44 pm »

I've seen excerpts from it.  Said excerpt was multiple boys brutally murdering a puppy, and then a girl brutally blowing them apart with some sort of magic.  I proceeded to avoid the show at all cost.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26992 on: February 10, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »

I've seen excerpts from it.  Said excerpt was multiple boys brutally murdering a puppy, and then a girl brutally blowing them apart with some sort of magic.  I proceeded to avoid the show at all cost.

Honestly that is the entire anime.
1) Girl is sad
2) Something happens with any shred of happyness
3) Unrealistically sad event that relies on people being terrible terrible people
4) Girl kills them in exceedingly cruel and gory way
5) Rinse and repeat

My problem with it is that I really don't care how "sad" she is because she is a terrible person too and actually probably worse then the monsters wearing human clothing she is killing. The anime tries HARD to tug on your heart strings that it boarders blatant manipulation.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26993 on: February 10, 2013, 01:20:51 pm »

Did we watch the same anime?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26994 on: February 10, 2013, 01:31:05 pm »

I don't know... were a big bunch of cops murdered by someone who was absolutely unthreatened by them for no reason?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26995 on: February 10, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »

Neon's just on his cynical Tropes are Bad kick again. That aside, the anime went for a bittersweet ending. The manga? Not so much. I don't precisely know what to call it, but it was... different.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26996 on: February 10, 2013, 01:45:24 pm »

Neon's just on his cynical Tropes are Bad kick again. That aside, the anime went for a bittersweet ending. The manga? Not so much. I don't precisely know what to call it, but it was... different.

Did I say Elfin lied is bad? I said I don't like it.

Heck I havn't even watched it. I only know it from four scenes. Two were psychopathic rampages by the main character. The other two were "Happy scenes turned into sad scenes that end with psychopathic rampages".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How much longer can the series be?

Mind you I didn't watch it because I just don't like Gorn anyhow... Not because of the above, mostly because I am a sucker for that (the emotional manipulation part... not the rampages)

Neon's just on his cynical Tropes are Bad kick again

Also you completely misunderstood me the first time around when I spoke about "sad endings" and depressing stories and was talking more about how they are used because of a false perception of depth causing a sort of disparity between narratives that are trying to be simple but fun and complicated and deep. Where anything that tried to be complex and deep also soaked itself in deep copious amounts of depression. To the point where I couldn't find anything that attempted a good deep story anymore UNLESS it was also depressing.

That was the point. The entire point.

Or rather:

"The issue isn't the existance of the trope itself but rather the abuse and overuse of the trope as well as the lack of alternatives"

So next time you accuse me of something, get your facts straight.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:57:05 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26997 on: February 10, 2013, 02:22:38 pm »

One of those scenes was from the opening scene. Two more were from flashbacks. Most of the series is composed of the characters dealing with the fucked up stuff in their lives, with some additional political/paramilitary/immoral research things going on in the background. IIRC the latter bits were much more present in the manga than the anime. I'm not about to say it's not gory as all get-out at times, but that's also not the whole of it. You yourself said that you haven't actually seen anything except four clips that were (I'm willing to be) selected solely because of the ultraviolence.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26998 on: February 10, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »

Actually one of the scenes was from a friend who was talking about Elfin lied. The Boy one that is. he made it sound very forced.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26999 on: February 10, 2013, 02:42:52 pm »

Actually one of the scenes was from a friend who was talking about Elfin lied. The Boy one that is. he made it sound very forced.
I honestly don't know what part of my post you were responding to here. If it was the first two sentences, then no, one of the scenes was not from your friend, it was being described by your friend. But yes, I remember the scene you're referencing, and I agree that it was sort of narmy in terms of the "people are assholes" thing. That said, I'm standing by my point that the series isn't totally composed of people being unredeemable dicks and the Lucy personality ripping people apart with her vectors.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1798 1799 [1800] 1801 1802 ... 11040