Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474605 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24810 on: December 29, 2012, 11:11:02 pm »

I thought it was written kind of crappily, and there was too much focus on sex for my tastes. Was everyone back then repressed, or just Orwell?

Also Big Brother had, IIRC, one of the stupidest forms of torture. Seriously, taping a box of spiders to my face wouldn't make me like you. It wouldn't do much of anything, actually, besides make me very, very still. Why did it work on Winston?

Plus I was reading it for class and I couldn't see pretty much any relevance of a mediocre novel about a hyperfascist society that was and is highly unlikely to come about. Not today. It may have been relevant back before Hitler got squashed, could have been relevant before the fall of Communism, but there's a hundered other dystopian novels better written and more relevant. I hate "classics". Books evolve with people. It's not 100 years ago, it's not amazingly written, please find something more recent or more entertaining to read. Not a novel about some random bloke in a quite mildly disturbing society boning his girlfriend.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24811 on: December 29, 2012, 11:16:52 pm »

I never said it's amazing written. But it's not bad either. It's just okay.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24812 on: December 29, 2012, 11:26:18 pm »

I thought it was written kind of crappily, and there was too much focus on sex for my tastes. Was everyone back then repressed, or just Orwell?

Also Big Brother had, IIRC, one of the stupidest forms of torture. Seriously, taping a box of spiders to my face wouldn't make me like you. It wouldn't do much of anything, actually, besides make me very, very still. Why did it work on Winston?

Plus I was reading it for class and I couldn't see pretty much any relevance of a mediocre novel about a hyperfascist society that was and is highly unlikely to come about. Not today. It may have been relevant back before Hitler got squashed, could have been relevant before the fall of Communism, but there's a hundered other dystopian novels better written and more relevant. I hate "classics". Books evolve with people. It's not 100 years ago, it's not amazingly written, please find something more recent or more entertaining to read. Not a novel about some random bloke in a quite mildly disturbing society boning his girlfriend.
It worked on Wilson because he had a stupid phobia. Stupid. Even the book points out that it might even be stupid to the point of not being even dangerous. Mine is revolvving subway doors, for the simple reason that they do not turn both ways, only one. One can imagine getting stuck, and in the crush of people, it turning...

Fantasies such as that end with neck gibs on the floor. Not a good thing. It really is sad that people don't understand it. It's not so much about how it's written. It's about the content. Simply put, saying it's not relevant is stupid, plain, and simple. To wit, a billion chinese, and the unfortunates of the most repressive contry in the world, North korea, disagree that because you don't live in one, it is irrelvant. Want something relevant to your particular dystopia, First-worlders? Brave new world is there for you.

Besides, i still use the Upper, middle, and lower in my understanding of things.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #24813 on: December 29, 2012, 11:29:21 pm »

I hate "classics". Books evolve with people. It's not 100 years ago, it's not amazingly written, please find something more recent or more entertaining to read.
D: Just because society evolves doesn't make our history irrelevant. The good books of today are written on the lessons of the good books of yesterday.

Not that I'm defending 1984 in particular, as I don't really like message scifi.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #24814 on: December 29, 2012, 11:48:05 pm »

Hell, I'd read more recent books if it wasn't for the fact that a majority of books released today are pretty shitty. Maybe my standards are too high, but it seems there are only a few recent books that come out every so often that are worth reading.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24815 on: December 29, 2012, 11:49:35 pm »

I don't particularly like 1984. I think that the dystopian novel was done better in both Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451. That said, it is a classic in the sense that it is a widely-known work which is emblematic of a certain time and state of mind. I don't regret reading it, and I think that it probably should be read. Though admittedly I would say the same for nearly everything I've read.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24816 on: December 29, 2012, 11:54:49 pm »

Though admittedly I would say the same for nearly everything I've read.
Does this include all the bad fanfiction?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24817 on: December 29, 2012, 11:59:11 pm »

Though admittedly I would say the same for nearly everything I've read.
Does this include all the bad fanfiction?

Doesn't count if I stopped reading it before the end. Usually the bad stuff gets tossed within three paragraphs, unless it's part of a MST3K-alike sort of deal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24818 on: December 30, 2012, 12:10:25 am »

Started playing DF again today. Fired up adventurer mode and got a quest to kill a night creature. I recruited two peasants to serve as cannon fodder and set out in search of glory.
Halfway there we got ambushed by three goblins. The two meatshields ran off to distract a pikegoblin while I moved in to kill it, only to be ambushed by an axegoblin with a halberd. I died within three attacks. For fun, I decided to watch the peasants bite the dust.
All three goblins were slain in an extremely drawn-out battle with two untrained peasants wielding knives. The peasants were dodging most of the attacks and parrying most of the rest. Neither peasant died, though both took some hits. I facepalmed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24819 on: December 30, 2012, 12:46:26 am »

Started playing DF again today. Fired up adventurer mode and got a quest to kill a night creature. I recruited two peasants to serve as cannon fodder and set out in search of glory.
Halfway there we got ambushed by three goblins. The two meatshields ran off to distract a pikegoblin while I moved in to kill it, only to be ambushed by an axegoblin with a halberd. I died within three attacks. For fun, I decided to watch the peasants bite the dust.
All three goblins were slain in an extremely drawn-out battle with two untrained peasants wielding knives. The peasants were dodging most of the attacks and parrying most of the rest. Neither peasant died, though both took some hits. I facepalmed.
They probably thought you were the meat-shield. If only they could go to achieve great-fame toegether.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #24820 on: December 30, 2012, 12:52:43 am »

I was wikiwalking earlier, starting with acromegaly, which someone here had linked to previously and was in my "Previously closed" tabs list. That led to André the Giant and me spending a little bit of time learning about the history of professional wrestling in America. It seems that quite a few former WWF/WWE wrestlers have been cremated. I haven't really looked into it to how widespread this is; it could be a conspiracy or a cult thing or just a couple guys who decided to get cremated, and I most likely won't look any further into it because I just don't care that much.

Also, I just learned about something called Lego: The Piece of Resistance, which seems to be an animated Lego movie, featuring A-list actors such as  Will Ferrell, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, and Will Arnett as Batman.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24821 on: December 30, 2012, 12:56:20 am »

And God-damned Morgan Freeman. Are we witnessing the birth of Lego-films?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24822 on: December 30, 2012, 12:57:30 am »

New adventurer, new world. Apparently the best thing for a brand new adventurer to do is hunt and kill a vampire with 638 kills to her name. Right, I'll be getting right on that...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24823 on: December 30, 2012, 03:11:32 am »

Well why would he make a topic to complain about it then? Anyways, the topic is now in a forbidden part of the forums, which again reeks of trying to hide incompetence since users can't delete topics themselves :S
On a lot of game forums complaining about bans in a thread is also against the rules.
If you have a problem you take it directly to the admins.
Pretty much this. It's also part of the Terms of Service for quite a few non-game-related forums and services. From what I understand it's common sense to not talk about bans on the site said bans are related to because of this whole Terms of Service issue.

Also, a happy "What the fuck?" for today was the Hell's Angel getting terminated from the program and evicted from the property for the threats he had made early yesterday morning. Now everyone is trying to convince the guy he was sharing a room with to pay an extra $75 in rent to have a room to himself and his cat.

It is what I and the ordained minister do in this apartment, though he does it because of his artwork and art supplies being worth hundreds of dollars and I do it because I have some severe privacy and trust issues. Let's just say I don't even want people that I like within the viewing range of my monitor unless I'm showing them something I cannot otherwise describe to them in perfect detail.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24824 on: December 30, 2012, 03:15:37 am »

1984 was a scary book.

Anyways, just remembered how I found TV Tropes. A link here sent me to the spit take trope.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace
Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 11037