Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1651 1652 [1653] 1654 1655 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14475114 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24780 on: December 29, 2012, 05:26:22 pm »

Having lived next door to the home house of a biker chapter, I can honestly say I have never been safer than the time I spent at that address. They dont piss on thier own doorstep and keep trouble away. It probably helped I fitted in well with them to be fair - they do like to look after thier own, or at least those who chip in the beer fund every now and again.
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24781 on: December 29, 2012, 05:32:59 pm »

Ehn... Hell's Angels specifically have a bit of a troublesome reputation, though (to put things lightly). I've been fairly specifically warned by bikers to stay away from HAs if possible, iirc.

It kinda' depends on the biker group in question. Some are pretty solid, some... less so. Bikers on average seem to be pretty alright, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24782 on: December 29, 2012, 05:37:53 pm »

People on average are pretty alright.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24783 on: December 29, 2012, 05:40:06 pm »

Red, black, white or pale?
The kind that rides motorcycles.
You were clearing up nothing.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24784 on: December 29, 2012, 05:42:23 pm »

People on average are pretty alright.

If you're someone they like the look of. Also, first world bias.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24785 on: December 29, 2012, 06:25:26 pm »

Yes, Kaiyjuu, I can offer a life-changing "MONTH IN FUCKEDUPISTAN" for only 3 easy payments of 65.99, American of course, to pay for secuity. You too can flee war-torn areas, be kidnappped by militias and held for ransom, and generally have a fun FUN time. Note, for $50 dollars more we throw in a trip to Best Korea.

Current options include:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:59:36 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24786 on: December 29, 2012, 07:48:36 pm »

The problem is that while people on average are alright, people on average are also very sheeplike and follow the strongest leader. On far too many occasions, this is an asshole, since asshles for some reason exude exactly the kind of power that pulls people into a cause.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24787 on: December 29, 2012, 07:52:29 pm »

The problem is that while people on average are alright, people on average are also very sheeplike and follow the strongest leader. On far too many occasions, this is an asshole, since asshles for some reason exude exactly the kind of power that pulls people into a cause.
Confidence in what they believe. Assholeism is often a result of someone having so much confidence in their beliefs and actions that they do not acknowledge the beliefs or input of others. But that's also a good leadership trait. No-one wants a leader who's always changing their mind.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24788 on: December 29, 2012, 08:15:42 pm »

All you people are showing me is situations where normal, good people can do and be horrible things due to circumstance and cultural training.

There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot be duplicated by a kindly family man who needs a paycheck to feed his family and/or was taught to be such at a young age. But, if you meet these people in circumstances where such things do not come into play, you'll likely find someone quite amicable.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24789 on: December 29, 2012, 08:16:23 pm »

A good leader is both confident in his beliefs and confident in the beliefs of others.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24790 on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:07 pm »

All you people are showing me is situations where normal, good people can do and be horrible things due to circumstance and cultural training.

There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot be duplicated by a kindly family man who needs a paycheck to feed his family and/or was taught to be such at a young age. But, if you meet these people in circumstances where such things do not come into play, you'll likely find someone quite amicable.
If anything, the fact that normal people commit these crimes are a cause of MORE upsetedness, rather then less.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #24791 on: December 29, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »

No, it just proves that human nature is basically evil.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24792 on: December 29, 2012, 08:27:55 pm »

It's more that self preservation tends to trump everything else.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #24793 on: December 29, 2012, 08:29:50 pm »

Nah, people are sadists. Look at Nazi concentration camp guards, look at modern cop stories...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24794 on: December 29, 2012, 08:31:30 pm »

Cultural causes, there, relating to dehumanization and delusions of superiority.

If you're told that a certain class of people are of the same worth as animals enough, you might believe it.
Pages: 1 ... 1651 1652 [1653] 1654 1655 ... 11037