Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1632 1633 [1634] 1635 1636 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481103 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24495 on: December 21, 2012, 04:33:44 pm »

I don't know many people who wanted to be a cop so they could be a crooked one.
Volunteer riot police.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #24496 on: December 21, 2012, 04:35:07 pm »

My school had a cop. He once performed an illegal search on an entire classroom(including me), because a retard substitute dropped a $700 pair of sunglasses in the back of the room.

This same cop also threatened to arrest me after I was punched in the face by another kid, and I had made no attempts to retaliate or defend myself(and an entire classroom full of witnesses who could attest to that).

...So, armed personnel in schools? Dumb idea. I don't think learning about American liberties would translate so well if done at effective gunpoint.
Yea, this is why i generally don't agree with increasing police presence. There are a crap ton of cops that don't give a damn about their responsibility to the law.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24497 on: December 21, 2012, 04:37:34 pm »

I don't know any myself, but my father was involved in local politics for 12 years (city council member) and got to know all the local police. He knows several cops who wanted to be the crooked one. "Crooked," in this case, meaning dangerous. Lots of them thought they could be a superhero, beating down the Bad Guys with batons. The exact opposite of the type of person you'd want in a position of authority. There are no heroes or villains in real life, just people, and many cops don't realize that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #24498 on: December 21, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »

The truly crooked cops are relatively rare, but the ones become so used to their authority that they forget their limitations are very common.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24499 on: December 21, 2012, 04:41:07 pm »

Yea I'm all for having an armed police officer in schools.  Police officers are people too, so they aren't infallible, but I don't know many people who wanted to be a cop so they could be a crooked one.  And with cops you know they are well trained in how and when to use force.

Private security I'm not so keen on.  I'm sure the good private security guys are well trained, but you know the school districts will just be selling the kids' safety to the lowest bidder. 

And armed civilians doesn't sound useful at all.  Would they be even allowed to draw a gun in anything but cut and dry self defense?  "That kid pulled a gun and said he was going to shoot everyone under 18 in the building, well I'm 45 so it wasn't self defense, I couldn't do anything."
In many (but not necessarily all) states, all laws enabling self defense are actually "defense of self or others" laws. The main point of variance in the law is to what degree you're expected to try to escape a situation instead of using deadly force. Civilians would be better than private security (where a certain amount of sadism is common), but generally worse than cops (who are far better trained than civilians.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24500 on: December 21, 2012, 04:45:56 pm »

My school had a cop too.  He didn't really do much but that would probably be the best way to do it.  They aren't there to enforce school policy, that's the staff's job, they're just there to be a kind of security and catch kids that do stupid illegal stuff like smoking pot in the parking lot and shit.  He didn't get involved in the school politics, and because of that most people seemed to think he was a pretty cool guy.

But yea, I guess you have a point, there are a few cops out there that are suffering from that whole power corrupts thing.  Be great if you could make sure you don't get the assholes with a badge ones.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24501 on: December 21, 2012, 05:22:23 pm »

On the argument of "there are too many guns already, a ban wouldn't do squat": I believe buyback programs and big hurdles in legal gun aquisition (Do you hunt? Do you already have #arbitrary number# guns? Why would you need another one?) in combination with severe (and I mean SEVERE, like 'send off to the salt mines' severe) consequences for possession and sale of an illegal (unlicensed) gun would do miracles.

Sadly, this is not gonna happen anytime soon; but there exists a solution.

Oh, and a cop in every school is plain insane - what would that alone cost? I thought I remembered something about a fiscal cliff... ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24502 on: December 21, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »

Oh, and a cop in every school is plain insane - what would that alone cost? I thought I remembered something about a fiscal cliff... ;)

The fiscal cliff has to do with a bunch of tax cuts expiring. It has nothing to do with the amount of money available (which would actually increase with higher taxes). It also has little direct impact on police and school funding, as those are local.

Granted, it would cause some serious economic problems which could effect local funding, but the 'fiscal cliff' isn't particularly relevant to this conversation.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24503 on: December 21, 2012, 05:49:25 pm »

Oh, sorry - I'm currently not that well-informed. But don't the reps usually pretty much go insane when someone proposes more spending?

Also, my WTF is that a guy I study with told me yesterday he thought I was very intelligent. We're in the german mathematics capital - you throw a stone into the crowd, and you hit someone who's won a prize or been too the higher levels of mathematics/informatics competitions. And I am looking intelligent?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:13:14 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24504 on: December 21, 2012, 06:01:50 pm »

You did forget the 'h' in mathmatics. :P  I figure its because he finds it easy to study with.  You may explain things just so, or are pleasant.  Take it and be happy.

My WTF is that I was talking to some 'conservatives' who found their views superior and irrefutably correct despite a weak presentation.  They have ungodly specific or incredibly vague (even strawmanish) points, and no amount of consideration, caution, or counterevidence made a lick of difference to them.  I mean, I mostly find them tolerable, and their opinions in the correct spirit, but to ignore everything for the sake of feeling correct. . .

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24505 on: December 21, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24506 on: December 21, 2012, 06:08:11 pm »

Holy crap, I just realized in Troy, not only does Sean Bean not die, he's the only guy who survives.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24507 on: December 21, 2012, 06:08:52 pm »

As far as I know, the police guy who was at our highschool didn't do anything. He stood around near the cafeteria at lunch, he walked around, he occasionally was heard talking about something kinda relevant in health class.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #24508 on: December 21, 2012, 06:11:45 pm »

We had a UDR barrack behind our Highschool and a police barrack on the other side, we needed no police stationed in it.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1632 1633 [1634] 1635 1636 ... 11037