Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1628 1629 [1630] 1631 1632 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14484538 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24435 on: December 20, 2012, 02:23:50 pm »

I remember when people didn't use the word "troll" or the term "trolling" to refer to something that they disagree with. I feel old.
iktfb

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24436 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:01 pm »

I don't see the problem. I think they're suggesting that she either:

a. doesn't actually believe what she's saying and is just doing it to piss people off
b. does believe what she's saying, but is doing it in the most offensive manner possible, for deliberate effect

Either one fits the definition of a troll.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24437 on: December 20, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »

I thought troll had meaning similar to griefer, in that its only/main purpose was to cause pain/suffering/anger/controversy without a reasonable expectation of actual gain.

Say geurilla tactics in a war.  Not 'trolling' because the aim is to disrupt movement/supplies, etc to win.  Expectation to win.
Say this lass, she expects to convince somebody, mainly those within her group already.
Say me, I try not to disagree because I want to inflame.
A trool would be that guy who pops in, says nasty things, and then lets himself be banned for it.  Troll, and stupid (a true monster would stick around, but shock value is the trolls friend, so I thought).

But she's no troll.  Her facts are fuzzy at times, but not a troll.  She's full of emotion, and emotion does not a logical arguement make, but not a troll.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24438 on: December 20, 2012, 02:34:35 pm »

I remember when people didn't use the word "troll" or the term "trolling" to refer to something that they disagree with. I feel old.
iktfb
I had to use Google to figure out what it was you were saying. I don't think you know that feel bro.

I don't see the problem. I think they're suggesting that she either:

a. doesn't actually believe what she's saying and is just doing it to piss people off
b. does believe what she's saying, but is doing it in the most offensive manner possible, for deliberate effect

Either one fits the definition of a troll.
That makes sense.

What I call it is 'being a hate-fueled dickwad'
I would prefer to use the term "bigot". It's much easier to say and much nicer on the ears.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24439 on: December 20, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »

I saw it as this one.
Then I changed my mind when they were all clapping at her. Now I just think they're all stupid.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24440 on: December 20, 2012, 02:43:38 pm »

I saw it as this one.
Then I changed my mind when they were all clapping at her. Now I just think they're all stupid.
The two are not exclusive, you know.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24441 on: December 20, 2012, 02:53:42 pm »

iktfb
I had to use Google to figure out what it was you were saying. I don't think you know that feel bro.
But I can't stop knowing that feel

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24442 on: December 20, 2012, 02:59:20 pm »

I don't see how people can be satisfied by purely hate-inducing trolling. I like when the person starts getting angry but then they stop and you share a knowing moment.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24443 on: December 20, 2012, 03:00:26 pm »

I don't see how people can be satisfied by purely hate-inducing trolling. I like when the person starts getting angry but then they stop and you share a knowing moment.
That's just dicking around >>

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24444 on: December 20, 2012, 03:01:53 pm »

It's friendly trolling!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24445 on: December 20, 2012, 03:02:39 pm »

I mean, there does seem to be a certain sub-segment of the Christian Right that says, "Hey wow...these Muslims are really easy to piss off! Let's do what we can to piss them off, then they'll riot and kill people and burn things, and then we can point at them and say, 'Wow, look how scary and angry these people are!'"

And then they follow it up with something like, "Hey Muslims! I just ate a pound of bacon and now I'm shitting it out on your precious Quran! What do you think of THAT??!"

Or they finance god-awful agitprop films on YouTube. Or they hold public Quran burnings. Or make deliberate inflammatory comments where they know it'll be picked up and rebroadcast/reprinted.

WWJT: Who Would Jesus Troll?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24446 on: December 20, 2012, 03:14:35 pm »

I came here to state my amazement that the BBC explicitly described one of the aims of a bill was to stop trolls, and not a quote mind you. And today they're talking about War Z on the technology section. Has... has the youth started to sink in?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24447 on: December 20, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »

Now for something a little more on-topic with the intentions of this here thread - I beat Akinator three times today, all with characters from the Mages Guild storyline in The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.

The damn thing thought Trebonius Artorius was some douche from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, then thought he was the Guildmaster from Fable, then thought he was another douche from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. He thought Edwinna Elbert was Lydia from of all places The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and was only close on guessing Ranis Athrys in that he guessed Falanu Hlaalu, an alchemist from The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

My god. Do people just not know about the awesomeness that is The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind or are all the people who did give a fuck dead like several of the community's most prominent modders? This is both a surprised "What the fuck?" moment as well as one that burns with the fury of a thousand suns at both the general internet populace and the fact that if I want an XBox 360 I will have to save $200 just to get the damn console in a refurbished state - which would be a herculean feat for myself.

I normally do not speak languages that I don't know fluently on the internet, but as I sometimes say to myself in real life thanks to a Canadian Satanist I once chatted with on the internet, mein gott in himmel. However it is still a pretty impressive feat if I do say so myself to beat Akinator three times in one day. That I am pretty proud of.

-edit- I apparently have been beaten by a ninja. I was writing this post when people were still talking about that bigot in that Youtube video. I proofread some of my posts more than I should.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:29:56 pm by dei »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24448 on: December 20, 2012, 03:32:23 pm »

Akinator?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #24449 on: December 20, 2012, 03:34:11 pm »

I'm a huge fan of Morrowind and I know who all those characters are, but I wouldn't ever have thought to do them on Akinator because the characters in Morrowind tended to be kinda unremarkable in the personality department. Except Artorius, of course.

I bet you Akinator would get Crassius Curio, though.

Akinator?
He's an internet twenty question games where a program tries to guess what person you're thinking of. He's generally pretty good about it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 1628 1629 [1630] 1631 1632 ... 11037