Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1619 1620 [1621] 1622 1623 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14480022 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24300 on: December 18, 2012, 05:24:43 pm »

The definitions of "faith" I've always heard are basically irrational beliefs in the face of contrary evidence. Sort of a twisted form of hope; having "faith" in something means a blind adherence to it; anything stating otherwise is wrong or flawed in some way, because faith is evidence all in itself.

My old church let any congregation member stand up and talk at the podium once a month if they wanted, and one person's speech I remember was basically her stating how she overcame some criticisms of her religion by adhering to the thought cancelling mantra of "it's true." ("it" being mormonism in this case) That is what I define "faith" to be.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24301 on: December 18, 2012, 05:26:57 pm »

Oh, mormons are fucknuts :P

And so are actually most people, so any mormons reading this should only feel anger of a level that's as high as possible without causing them to take any form of action.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24302 on: December 18, 2012, 05:34:20 pm »

Tortoises is just French for two turtles.

Trust me, it's true.

You're Dutch! How can we trust you in this matter?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24303 on: December 18, 2012, 05:51:28 pm »

Tortoises is just French for two turtles.

Trust me, it's true.

You're Dutch! How can we trust you in this matter?
You can't ! Trust me !

It's false ! Le tort tue !
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:57:09 pm by PanH »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24304 on: December 18, 2012, 05:53:16 pm »

And our 'secular' ideals are based on and often coincide with those that religion preports.
Wait what?

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24305 on: December 18, 2012, 05:58:55 pm »

Ok, one second.

PROCESSING...

Alright. You make a valid point, though it's wrong as we're discussing this from a mostly atheist or deistic viewpoint.

However, there are several arguments against God being truely "all-powerful". One particularly pervasive bit of Fanon (Not sure if it's actually in the bibel, though most things from Dante's Inferno are taken to be canon) states that Satan managed to shake his throne, implying some limit to his power. If he really is all powerful, why did Satan get a opportunity to trick Eve against Gods will? And if it was Gods will that Adam and Eve partake of the Fruit, why not just tell them to do it once and then say, "k guys I'm going to plop you down on Earth for a bit it's gonna suck but you're still cool wit me"?

God is either Limited or Illogical.
Free will, he COULd force people to do what he wanted but he don't, for better or worse he allows every one to make their own mind, even Satan.
As for illogical, maybe to you, but many things seem illogical to us now but in the future will be easy.
Like at one point it was illogical to think humans would even be able to fly, or illogical to think the earth is round, now days? It's 100% logical, now keep in mind if we keep God as he is, he is
A. of a higher understanding
B. would be the nase idea of a cave man seeing us now, or us seeing someone light years ahead of us, we cant beguin to assume whats "logical" to us is always the "logical awnser" he knows more, been around longer and has higher "thought function" if he exists.

I'm not saying he is all powerful, the bible says he is, as well as MOST Christians 9I'm not aware of any big ones that claim he si not)

for example, at one point the idea of skin colour making you "better" was logical to us, now its ilogical, giving time its possible this will no longer be illogical
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24306 on: December 18, 2012, 06:02:12 pm »

And our 'secular' ideals are based on and often coincide with those that religion preports.
Wait what?
Pick an ideal. chances are it exists in religion or religion has a function to fufill it.  I use christianity as a based because of how widespread it is but. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24307 on: December 18, 2012, 06:05:06 pm »

Wait what?
Pick an ideal. chances are it exists in religion or religion has a function to fufill it.  I use christianity as a based because of how widespread it is but. . .
Mmhmm. I could also do the same with philosophies and literature. Secular morals are about as based on religious teachings as they are based off pop songs and jokes on chocolate bar wrappers.
[And a whole lot of religious teachings happen to be very bad, or at the very least restrictive].

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24308 on: December 18, 2012, 06:06:57 pm »

Wait what?
The essence of most secular liberal philosophies I'm familiar with is that all people have rights, that we should not have to bow before the strong, and that simple survival is not a luxury. These are the exact same ideals that underlie a number of religions, most prominently Christianity. In many cases, secular and atheistic philosophers used the teachings of these faiths as a starting point, and took them further.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24309 on: December 18, 2012, 06:08:13 pm »

restrictive /=/ bad.  At least to me.  But that gets off topic.  and only in some facets are they restrictive.  Such as in that they set firm rules and usually disallow followers to worship other gods.
I disagree that secular beliefs are really so far removed form religion.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24310 on: December 18, 2012, 06:08:53 pm »

Oh hell.

This is not religious thread. Is WTF thread.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #24311 on: December 18, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

Lord Shonus, those are most definitely no the ideals of Christianity.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24312 on: December 18, 2012, 06:13:52 pm »

Prompted by a random boardgame theme thought, I looked up Zoroastrianism to learn more about it.

Quote from: Wikipedia
By one estimate, there are between 124,000 and 190,000 Zoroastrians worldwide

I...didn't realize that it had actually survived as a religion. Apparently it's been continuously practiced in Iran and India for thousands of years.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24313 on: December 18, 2012, 06:16:11 pm »

Wait what?
The essence of most secular liberal philosophies I'm familiar with is that all people have rights, that we should not have to bow before the strong, and that simple survival is not a luxury. These are the exact same ideals that underlie a number of religions, most prominently Christianity. In many cases, secular and atheistic philosophers used the teachings of these faiths as a starting point, and took them further.
Such as kill everyone who works on the Sabbath?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #24314 on: December 18, 2012, 06:20:32 pm »

Lord Shonus, those are most definitely no the ideals of Christianity.
Those aren't the ideals of political Christianity (re: the papacy, the religious right), but yeah, that's basically what the Gospels are all about. I'm not really familiar enough with the rest of the New Testament to say about that, but the Gospels seem to be the moral center of the religion from an outside perspective.

Such as kill everyone who works on the Sabbath?
Which includes turning on light switches!

Man, the Old Testament is crazy.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 1619 1620 [1621] 1622 1623 ... 11037