Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1618 1619 [1620] 1621 1622 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14480152 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24285 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:02 pm »

People talking about how the bide is impossible
you do know tyhat in order to take the bible as truth in the first place you have to acapt the idea of a god who is all powerful in which case all of these "problmes" would not be problems

you cant just take the "parts we cant do" and ingore the base idea thta God can do anything, thats not how the bible is meant to be take, now before you say it I'm not saying you HAVE to belive in god, just if you dont anyways then looking at the bible serves no pupours when it comes to "debunking it" as even the bible cites all theser things to god

Syntax error. Unable to format request as English. [Abort | Retry | Fail]

What's up with the atheistic elithism anyway?

Why does all faith have to be naive, stupid, archaic nonsense just because that's what you believe it to be.

It isn't elitism. It doesn't matter what I believe, by definition faith is naive, stupid, archaic nonsense in your own words. Faith requires you to believe even if the preponderance of evidence is against it, even if what you believe is contradicted, not only by objective outside references, but by itself. Faith is inherently irrational.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24286 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:49 pm »

Why does all faith have to be naive, stupid, archaic nonsense just because that's what you believe it to be.
Probably because there is a higher percentage of people on the side of faith that give logic-less answers like "just believe and it will all make sense" then there are atheists saying "just don't believe in god and religion is stupid". It's not that faith or belief are stupid, it's just that they seem to have a higher percentage of illogical people then atheism does. If a religion could come right out and give reasons backed up by logic for everything rather then involving various deities then I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to switch right there. That said if you want I would happily debate more reasons for/against various religions and their involvement in logic, but this isn't the thread for that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24287 on: December 18, 2012, 05:01:46 pm »

I'll pop in and agree that faith is indeed, stupid.

Belief is different though, and I'll only accept that as stupid if you can find some sort of logical contradiction that people are ignoring (note: you can find a lot of those in the vast majority of organized religions).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24288 on: December 18, 2012, 05:05:29 pm »

Probably because there is a higher percentage of people on the side of faith that give logic-less answers like "just believe and it will all make sense" then there are atheists saying "just don't believe in god and religion is stupid".
We're five to one here. Other places appear to have similair effects.

I'll pop in and agree that faith is indeed, stupid.

Belief is different though, and I'll only accept that as stupid if you can find some sort of logical contradiction that people are ignoring (note: you can find a lot of those in the vast majority of organized religions).
Faith is defined, as per wikipedia, as belief in a God.

It isn't elitism. It doesn't matter what I believe, by definition faith is naive, stupid, archaic nonsense in your own words. Faith requires you to believe even if the preponderance of evidence is against it, even if what you believe is contradicted, not only by objective outside references, but by itself. Faith is inherently irrational.

Your intrepretation of [Insert religious text here] might be outdated, naive, stupid and archaic. Doesn't mean my have to be. Adding to that, faith is not inherently irrational, just often non-rational. Blind faith against superior evidence might be irrational, depending on the circumstances.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #24289 on: December 18, 2012, 05:06:35 pm »

Also, the idiots are more outspoken about everything. Always.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #24290 on: December 18, 2012, 05:10:21 pm »

Faith is inherently irrational. If your faith falters before evidence, it wasn't faith, merely belief.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24291 on: December 18, 2012, 05:12:52 pm »

Faith is inherently irrational. If your faith falters before evidence, it wasn't faith, merely belief.
Different definition of faith than I was using. Yours seems to be more akin to blind faith rather than the dictionairy definitions I've been finding.

Quote from: Dictionary
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability. 
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact. 
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims. 
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty. 
5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.

You seem to be gunnin for two, which is not an irrational thing. Just often nonrational. (It can even be rational, depending on the intrepretation.)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24292 on: December 18, 2012, 05:13:27 pm »

Probably because there is a higher percentage of people on the side of faith that give logic-less answers like "just believe and it will all make sense" then there are atheists saying "just don't believe in god and religion is stupid". It's not that faith or belief are stupid, it's just that they seem to have a higher percentage of illogical people then atheism does. If a religion could come right out and give reasons backed up by logic for everything rather then involving various deities then I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to switch right there. That said if you want I would happily debate more reasons for/against various religions and their involvement in logic, but this isn't the thread for that.
[And quote everything on this page]
Spoiler: my thoughts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:21:44 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24293 on: December 18, 2012, 05:16:01 pm »

I agree with that one, except for the connotation that science and religion would similair succesive ways of thinking. I guess they are, in a way, but it's not like religion and myths were some kind of protoscience explanation of the world.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #24294 on: December 18, 2012, 05:16:31 pm »

Anyways, let's talk about something that isn't a topic that is notorious for spiraling out of control and for which we have had threads that have gotten locked and stray back into the WTFery.

Purple tortoises climbing zebra-striped banana trees in the arctic sunset.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24295 on: December 18, 2012, 05:17:23 pm »

Sea or land tortoises?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24296 on: December 18, 2012, 05:18:12 pm »

Sea or land tortoises?
Clearly of the land variety.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24297 on: December 18, 2012, 05:19:38 pm »

Purple tortoises climbing zebra-striped banana trees in the arctic sunset.
This sounds like something you would get out of one of those "each person says three words" stories.

Sea or land tortoises?
Per wikipedia tortoises are land dwelling, where as turtles can be either. So land tortoises.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #24298 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:55 pm »

Tortoises is just French for two turtles.

Trust me, it's true.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24299 on: December 18, 2012, 05:23:14 pm »

Faith is inherently irrational.
I'd prefer non-rational. Believing (!) that the world around us (or me) truly exists is non-rational as well, if you'll allow me to slide down the slippery slope[1]. So "atheist elitism" is quite fitting; saying that atheism (as opposed to agnosticism) is just another faith may be going a bit far, but there's a kernel of truth in it.
I'm fully sympathetic of dressing down dogmatic religious fucknuts[2] that deny 'experimental results' (as in 'dinosaur bones'); they truly are stupid, even though they on some level still have consistency, simply because their view of the world is - empiricistically speaking - useless.

[1] That was fun to type; fromm now on I'll use that expression more often.
[2] I find this word funny in a way similar to the insult cuntfucker; just think about it. Or maybe I'm just a bit childish. In any case, I should probably stop enlarging my vocabulary via Cyanide&Happiness.

FAKEEDIT: 7 cuntfucking relies? You've got to be canoodeling me!

I like turtles more than tortoises.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 1618 1619 [1620] 1621 1622 ... 11037