Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1604 1605 [1606] 1607 1608 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14486862 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24075 on: December 15, 2012, 01:51:43 am »

I am thoroughly convinced. Let us throw off our depraved shackles. Long live Family Values.

This... Reading this has absolutely convinced me.

My new goal in life is to marry a woman. Just because I should have the right.

This illtaught child has the right to spout this garbage, right? Where are my rights?
What was your life goal before?

Hmm. The romans never allowed Same-sex marriage though, they had regular marriage.

Doesn;t tha mean that we should all be switching TOO same-sex? Also I love how he destroys his point by saying "Oh and I don't believe in Evolution anyway". It's clear the concept is unclear to him.

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24076 on: December 15, 2012, 01:58:42 am »

You guys seem to be taking what appears to be clear parody quite serious.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #24077 on: December 15, 2012, 02:00:54 am »

Not sure you noticed, but it also mentions "Homeschooled."

So they're one of those.

Or for those who don't know what I'm talking about, a large majority of homeschooling in 'Murica is because parents deem schools to be too librul and not teachin the kids the important stuff like worshippin Jeebus. And so they pull their children from the public school system and 'educate' their children however they want, so long as they are able to pass the ridiculously easy state testing.

And criptfeind, it isn't a parody.
I've heard similar abortions of reasoning on the same topic from those I grew up around. >_>

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24078 on: December 15, 2012, 02:16:09 am »

Are you sure it's a large majority? In my experience, it's a minority.

Actually, scratch that. It's mostly unschoolers around here.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #24079 on: December 15, 2012, 02:18:42 am »

I take this seriously because it's just stupid enough to BE serious. And I hate it. I honestly hate that people get away with stuff like that... And somewhere, this kid probably got APPLAUDED for this.

One of my best friends feels that she will NEVER get to have a wedding of any kind, to actually be able to have a family, or anything like that because of children like this, and the intolorant parents that teach them that this is right.

Hell, I may never have a wedding or children, either. Not in my lifetime... It's pretty depressing.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24080 on: December 15, 2012, 02:24:54 am »

Meh... most kids have only just begun the process of questioning their upbringing around the age of 14.  The kid probably has seriously fundie parents.  I'd take a heavy dose of chill before critiquing his words.  Let's see what he's saying in his mid-20's, after the culture shock of being dumped out in the world to fend for himself after a reclused upbringing.  Most likely he'll be fuming hatred for his parents for lying to him about so much of reality.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24081 on: December 15, 2012, 02:31:21 am »

I take this seriously because it's just stupid enough to BE serious. And I hate it. I honestly hate that people get away with stuff like that... And somewhere, this kid probably got APPLAUDED for this.

One of my best friends feels that she will NEVER get to have a wedding of any kind, to actually be able to have a family, or anything like that because of children like this, and the intolorant parents that teach them that this is right.

Hell, I may never have a wedding or children, either. Not in my lifetime... It's pretty depressing.
Move to New York.

Now that the shameless self-plugging is out of the way...
Not sure you noticed, but it also mentions "Homeschooled."

So they're one of those.

Or for those who don't know what I'm talking about, a large majority of homeschooling in 'Murica is because parents deem schools to be too librul and not teachin the kids the important stuff like worshippin Jeebus. And so they pull their children from the public school system and 'educate' their children however they want, so long as they are able to pass the ridiculously easy state testing.

And criptfeind, it isn't a parody.
I've heard similar abortions of reasoning on the same topic from those I grew up around. >_>
My mom home-schooled me for a year...

Of course, she had her reasons, including the last school attempting to force me into redoing the grade for no reason, and it being too late to sign up elsewhere. Plus she's a former Professor of Baranrd college, so.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24082 on: December 15, 2012, 02:32:11 am »

For what it's worth, nothing's stopping anyone, in most cases, from having a large celebration announcing an intention for long term monogamy with someone of their own gender to their kith and kin -- if there's religious concerns, there's ordained priests out there that'd be happy to officiate, general church policy or legality be damned (if you're in north Florida, I might be able to find some for you! Legal situation's shit, but I know how to contact a few radical priests.). Kids would be a matter of cash more than anything, so far as I'm aware, to precipitate the medical issues involved.

To a (notable) degree it's not the same as legal recognition of the union, but... well, the way I put it is, "Why the hell is it any of a judge's business who I bed?" If it's the ceremony, make a ceremony. If it's the monogamy, be monogamous. If it's the union of resources, unify resources. If it's mutual, romantically charged, support, support each other in such a way. Legal marriage simplifies much of that, yes, but in the end it's not really anything but a piece of paper, and that paper only has as much worth and value as you invest in it. There's no more genuine meaning to it than any other piece of processed wood pulp.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24083 on: December 15, 2012, 02:39:43 am »

And the fact that your would-be wifes/husbands family could come in, take literally everything away from you, all while you're trying to recover from them dying suddenly.

But other than that, yeah, there's nothing at all to a marriage!

OH WAIT.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24084 on: December 15, 2012, 02:41:35 am »

So far as I'm aware, that's what a will is for, yeah? E: To clarify, I'm seriously not saying that the legal aspect doesn't complicate a number of things related to long-term relationships of the sort generally considered to be marriage -- I'm just saying most of the important parts have nothing to do with the legal aspect at all. What's important is the relationship, y'know? And the only thing that can legitimatize that is the relationship and the people involved in it, not some third party or parties.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:44:30 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24085 on: December 15, 2012, 02:43:46 am »

AFAIK it doesn't always work. Family, I think, gets a bigger say than "room-mate", which is all you'll ever legally be. Even if you're in the will.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #24086 on: December 15, 2012, 02:44:20 am »

Or the fact that, and I wish I was exaggerating here, that the ceremony would not only be considered illegal, but that even claiming to be married in any way would either be treated as unlawful... Or result in lynching as people take 'justice' into their own hands. ._.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24087 on: December 15, 2012, 02:46:17 am »

Or the fact that, and I wish I was exaggerating here, that the ceremony would not only be considered illegal, but that even claiming to be married in any way would either be treated as unlawful... Or result in lynching as people take 'justice' into their own hands. ._.
Move to New York.
Or San Fransisco, but then you have to live in San Fransisco.

Reminds me of a article about the woman challenging DOMA right now. She moved to new york because it was were she could A"actually be who I am".

/notbiased

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24088 on: December 15, 2012, 02:48:06 am »

Frumple, it's a little more complicated than that. Marriage, in the eyes of the law, grants privileges in numerous situations to a spouse that it doesn't to a "partner". Take, for instance, medical coverage. If I were to enroll in medical coverage, I'm not allowed to put just anyone on it. When I was married, I could've put my wife on it, and I can put my child on it. However, I can't put my ladyfriend on it, even though we have a sort of weird, nebulous relationship that isn't defined by law. The law could give a fuck about that relationship, because it isn't defined by law. Furthermore, if I were to suddenly collapse, fall into a coma, and need serious medical attention, she would not be able to make decisions about my medical care. She has no right to any of my assets, and her opinion is legally weightless, despite our closeness. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The LGBT community needs to be accepted in a widespread legal fashion, because these people are being denied the basic benefits of a long term monogamous relationship under the law.

Also: NINJAS.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #24089 on: December 15, 2012, 02:54:30 am »

Are you sure it's a large majority? In my experience, it's a minority.

Actually, scratch that. It's mostly unschoolers around here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeschooling_in_the_United_States#Motivations
Motivations for homeschooling
in the US in 2007[1]
Motivation   Percentage
of parents
A concern about the school environment   85%
A desire to provide religious or moral instruction   72%
A dissatisfaction with academic
instruction at other schools   68%
Child has special needs   21%
Child has a physical or mental health problem   ~ 16%
Other reasons   20%
Spoiler: Graph of top reason (click to show/hide)
So yeah; religious homeschooling is the biggest single subset of the reasons.

In particular, there are also articles like these which are prevalent: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/2010-03-08-home-school-christian_N.htm
Creationism is quite rampant in homeschooling.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:58:09 am by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 1604 1605 [1606] 1607 1608 ... 11037