Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1601 1602 [1603] 1604 1605 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488828 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #24030 on: December 14, 2012, 11:35:15 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24031 on: December 14, 2012, 11:40:11 am »

"They should just press B"
-My brother
Your brother is wise.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24032 on: December 14, 2012, 11:57:34 am »

Well it's potato and potato begora bejeezus in which you touraloura fields of athenry with the O'Callaghan Naoise Siobhan and then feck and booze and shite and Belfast.
It wasn't Irishness, just...

An airing cupboard? Immersion heater? Brain doing gymnastics trying to figure out how those words would logically interact.

...and then there was Wikipedia.
An airing cupboard is a storage space, sometimes of walk-in dimensions, containing a water heater; either an immersion heater for hot running water or a boiler for central heating water. Shelves, usually slatted to allow for circulation of heat, positioned above or around the heater to provide storage for clothing, typically linen and towelling. The purpose is to allow air to circulate around the stored fabrics to prevent damp forming. A shelf can also be used to fully remove traces of damp from dried clothing before it is put away in drawers and wardrobes. Other names include "boiler cupboard", or (in Ireland) "hot press".

Okay...so it's like shelves around your water heater to dry your clothes. Weird. Is the rest of the house that damp?? I mean, I live in a borderline subtropical climate and we just have plain old shelves, yo. Although the idea of ever-toasty warm towels is appealing.

I think part of it is that in the US, a "cupboard" is...well, for cups. And dishes and such. Clothes go in closets. So we might call that a "water heater closet" or "hot water closet" or something. But then "water closet" has an entirely different connotation in the rest of the world.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #24033 on: December 14, 2012, 12:06:47 pm »

My hot water heater closet is called a 2 car garage, which ironically can not fit even 1 car, due to the amount of other people junk in it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24034 on: December 14, 2012, 12:13:47 pm »

My hot water heater closet is called a 2 car garage, which ironically can not fit even 1 car, due to the amount of other people junk in it.
You do NOT want to know the mental image I had when I first read that sentence.  :-\

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #24035 on: December 14, 2012, 12:18:16 pm »

Well it's potato and potato begora bejeezus in which you touraloura fields of athenry with the O'Callaghan Naoise Siobhan and then feck and booze and shite and Belfast.

An airing cupboard? Immersion heater? Brain doing gymnastics trying to figure out how those words would logically interact.

An airing cupboard is a storage space, sometimes of walk-in dimensions, containing a water heater; either an immersion heater for hot running water or a boiler for central heating water. Shelves, usually slatted to allow for circulation of heat, positioned above or around the heater to provide storage for clothing, typically linen and towelling. The purpose is to allow air to circulate around the stored fabrics to prevent damp forming. A shelf can also be used to fully remove traces of damp from dried clothing before it is put away in drawers and wardrobes. Other names include "boiler cupboard", or (in Ireland) "hot press".

Okay...so it's like shelves around your water heater to dry your clothes. Weird. Is the rest of the house that damp?? I mean, I live in a borderline subtropical climate and we just have plain old shelves, yo. Although the idea of ever-toasty warm towels is appealing.

I think part of it is that in the US, a "cupboard" is...well, for cups. And dishes and such. Clothes go in closets. So we might call that a "water heater closet" or "hot water closet" or something. But then "water closet" has an entirely different connotation in the rest of the world.

Over here, a cupboard is basically any space you put things in. For clothes we have wardrobes and chests of drawers.

And this is Ireland, the country is made of damp.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24036 on: December 14, 2012, 12:21:59 pm »

Weird. Is the rest of the house that damp?
It's the air that's damp and cold around here rather than the house, (one of the reasons this place seems colder than it is) so it's nice to have warm and dry towls and cloth ready for you.
Of course in my home we kind of just shove whatever in there and forget about it so no warm dry cloth for us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24037 on: December 14, 2012, 12:32:29 pm »

This is the UK where a warm sunny day is a day of national celebration. Damp fog is called "fresh air" there. You need a machete just to cut through the air :/

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24038 on: December 14, 2012, 12:33:41 pm »

Over here, a cupboard is basically any space you put things in. For clothes we have wardrobes and chests of drawers.
Related WTF: I just realized I've spent my entire life thinking those were called "chester drawers".  :-[

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24039 on: December 14, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »

Themoreyouknow.jpg
My cabbages!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24040 on: December 14, 2012, 01:28:29 pm »

Related WTF: I just realized I've spent my entire life thinking those were called "chester drawers".  :-[
Chest o'drawers + southern drawl = Chester drawers. It's understandable -- that's exactly what it sounds like in most of the accents down here. It took some few minutes of getting people to like, spell the damn thing out when I was a kid to figure it out, too. Though we usually just call 'em drawers around here. Chest's too fancy for us poor folk to have :P

VVV
That, too. Let us never be accused of only having one word to call something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24041 on: December 14, 2012, 01:29:02 pm »

I thought you lot called them dressers.
My cabbages!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #24042 on: December 14, 2012, 01:31:29 pm »

Only some dressers get called chests of drawers, usually short ones. When I was a kid we had one that was shaped like an actual chest.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24043 on: December 14, 2012, 01:36:27 pm »

A dresser has a mirror on it (cause apparently you can only "get dressed" if you can see yourself. Otherwise it's called "throwing clothes at your body and hoping they landed right". Which is what I mostly do.)

Hell, I dunno....I just always thought of them as "assorted boxes where clothes and stuff reside".

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24044 on: December 14, 2012, 01:44:03 pm »

Fun fact: the term "wardrobe" comes from what a castle's warden's toilet was called, in which clothing was often hung over(when not in use... I hope).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1601 1602 [1603] 1604 1605 ... 11037