Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1570 1571 [1572] 1573 1574 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494559 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #23565 on: December 05, 2012, 07:59:15 pm »

[REDACTED]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:00:38 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23566 on: December 05, 2012, 08:00:53 pm »

I'm surprised you didn't know this, fan-fiction STARTED almost 100% as shipping with all the Kirk x Spock slash fic's in the 70's - read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_fiction

Non-shipping fan fiction may be even rarer than the 'ship stuff.
Eehhnn... th'more modern stuff, maybe. Fanfiction's older than written history, really.

S'true that by bulk a majority of it's romance/friskiness related. Considering the species writing the stuff, is that really a surprise? A lot of stuff just does kind of... cursory pairing type stuff, though. Some people have strange tastes and won't touch certain combinations of relationships, even if they're platonic or offscenes. It is what it is, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23567 on: December 05, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »

The Arthurian Romances could be considers 'shipping fan-fiction, since later writers mixed up the characters so much, added new relationships etc.

Greek mythology could count as well, it's kind of obvious that different God's "hooking up" was not in their original plotline :/

I'd probably contend that almost all fan-fiction is modern. Previous to the computers + internet it was difficult to create, publish or disseminate your fan-fiction to more than a few people. Plus, there are a lot more literate people now than any other time in history.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:12:49 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23568 on: December 05, 2012, 08:11:26 pm »

Fanfiction's older than written history, really.
Achilles ♥ Patroclus OTP

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23569 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:40 pm »

The Arthurian Romances could be considers 'shipping fan-fiction, since later writers mixed up the characters so much, added new relationships etc.

I'd probably contend that almost all fan-fiction is modern. Previous to the computers + internet it was difficult to create, publish or disseminate your fan-fiction to more than a few people. Plus, there are a lot more literate people now than any other time in history.
Oral traditions, baby. From what I remember of what we know of it, it was pretty common to riff on older/other stories for lulz and otherwise, way back when. Think of it as standup improv fanfiction. Parody and thinly veiled name/scenario changing wasn't exactly uncommon once we did start writing, either. The basic "variation on a motif" drive underlying fanfiction is a pretty ubiquitous thing ;)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23570 on: December 05, 2012, 08:17:21 pm »

Oral traditions, baby. From what I remember of what we know of it, it was pretty common to riff on older/other stories for lulz and otherwise, way back when. Think of it as standup improv fanfiction. Parody and thinly veiled name/scenario changing wasn't exactly uncommon once we did start writing, either. The basic "variation on a motif" drive underlying fanfiction is a pretty ubiquitous thing ;)

This. Pretty much every storyteller would add their own personal touches to the stories, and most of them weren't very far from modern fan fiction. The main difference is that in ancient times there wasn't much concept of the "author" as such, or of copywrite law.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23571 on: December 05, 2012, 08:25:25 pm »

'Blargity Blarg, shop with one hand and get 20% off at ToysRus.com.au'

I think PayPal thinks I'm a paedophile.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23572 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:40 pm »

wat
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23573 on: December 05, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »

The shipping thread seems to have straight-up disappeared. Like, it wasn't locked, it's just gone.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23574 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:27 pm »

Deleted. Let's not talk about it.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23575 on: December 05, 2012, 09:59:25 pm »

Well, Schrodinger seems to have decided against having a library, I guess.

In other news, I heard a radio station not playing christmas music earlier. its was nice and odd.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23576 on: December 05, 2012, 10:01:37 pm »

Not surprised the shipping thread went poof, didn't see that one lasting very long.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #23577 on: December 05, 2012, 10:02:55 pm »

I read one of the ships.
Those things are real? as in, not just a list of pairings, but stories actually written out? Eeesh.
They are all too real my friend. All too real.

Think, someone is out there right now, composing something, eugh, like what I read. But this time it will be about YOOU! And you will never read it. But others will. And they'll drop hints.

So what we have then is effectively shipping fanfiction about a fandom consisting almost entirely of these forums. That's pretty meta.

We should go deeper and write fanfics of people reading these shipfics.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #23578 on: December 05, 2012, 10:07:06 pm »

Not surprised the shipping thread went poof, didn't see that one lasting very long.

Yea. pretty easy for people to get squicked out about something like that when it gets personal.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23579 on: December 05, 2012, 10:11:31 pm »

Yea. pretty easy for people to get squicked out about something like that when it gets personal.
That's why I didn't make mine erotic. I just poorly hinted that there might have been something going on between the two characters, and then had MZ uppercut a kangaroo so he could kill and eat it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 1570 1571 [1572] 1573 1574 ... 11037