Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14493985 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #23535 on: December 05, 2012, 10:49:34 am »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #23536 on: December 05, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/officials-serbias-nato-ambassador-leaps-death-093459101.html

"Serbia's ambassador to NATO was chatting and joking with colleagues in a multistory parking garage at Brussels Airport when he suddenly strolled to a barrier, climbed over and flung himself to the ground below, a diplomat said."

Yea.

So, either someone MK Ultra mind controlled this dude to death, or the other ambassadors tossed him off the parking garage.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23537 on: December 05, 2012, 12:48:23 pm »

Has Serbia done something stupid recently?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23538 on: December 05, 2012, 12:59:50 pm »

I guess his jokes just weren't funny.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23539 on: December 05, 2012, 01:08:01 pm »

I now have the mental image of a bunch of ambassadors grabbing the Serbian ambassador and doing a run-up to the edge of the parking garage before tossing him off.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23540 on: December 05, 2012, 01:08:33 pm »

inb4 someone asks what I mean by healthy, I mean not twig-like as how Western culture perceives beauty in this day and age. Fuck you Industrial Revolution and fuck you Great Depression for making society look down on the curvy, the big-boned, the voluptuous and the stocky! I can't even find pants in my size outside of the Big and Tall section at Marshalls because of you two assholes!
You realize that during times of hardship like the great depression that the idea of beauty moves closer towards that "curvaceous" idea right? It's the fact that we aren't in the great depression that we look at skinny as being more beautiful (and in fact if you look at media you will notice that during this most recent depression there was actually an increase in the average size/weight of movie stars and other "beautiful" figures).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23541 on: December 05, 2012, 01:13:26 pm »

So uh...

Why has "athletic" never been the "This is Sexytm" majority?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23542 on: December 05, 2012, 01:15:38 pm »

Because lazy people.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23543 on: December 05, 2012, 02:09:17 pm »

inb4 someone asks what I mean by healthy, I mean not twig-like as how Western culture perceives beauty in this day and age. Fuck you Industrial Revolution and fuck you Great Depression for making society look down on the curvy, the big-boned, the voluptuous and the stocky! I can't even find pants in my size outside of the Big and Tall section at Marshalls because of you two assholes!
You realize that during times of hardship like the great depression that the idea of beauty moves closer towards that "curvaceous" idea right? It's the fact that we aren't in the great depression that we look at skinny as being more beautiful (and in fact if you look at media you will notice that during this most recent depression there was actually an increase in the average size/weight of movie stars and other "beautiful" figures).
People want what they don't have. In the land of the constantly setting sun people prize tans, in the land of the rising sun people apply make up that pales their skin.
Funny eh?

So uh...

After the dark ages the majority of people gave up on athleticism :<
Though it has experienced a revival in modern society...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though perhaps not in a way a gymnotribai would have thought beneficial.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23544 on: December 05, 2012, 02:10:28 pm »

People want what they don't have. In the land of the constantly setting sun people prize tans, in the land of the rising sun people apply make up that pales their skin.
Funny eh?

So uh...

After the dark ages the majority of people gave up on athleticism :<
Though it has experienced a revival in modern society...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though perhaps not in a way a gymnotribai would have thought beneficial.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23545 on: December 05, 2012, 02:12:18 pm »

So uh...

Back in more ancient times only the rich could afford to sit around not working as well as get enough to eat that they were able to become curvaceous/fat/large/big-boned/whatever-adjective-you-want-to-use. As such "large person" became associated with "fabulously wealthy", a thing that has stuck in our minds up to this day. It was only with the spread of having enough food for most people and better nutrition, as well as the fact that due to large amounts of food it is now much more likely to go from "large" to "obese" that being skinnier has become viewed as more "beautiful". That's also the reason why in times of hardship (such as the Great Depression), the image of beautiful shifts back towards the larger side.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23546 on: December 05, 2012, 02:27:22 pm »

Also of note is that what society views as beautiful greatly differs from what people biologically view as smexy.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23547 on: December 05, 2012, 03:47:30 pm »

Also of note is that what society views as beautiful greatly differs from what people biologically view as smexy.
This man is wise. One can be attracted to things years out-of-fashion.

Has Serbia done something stupid recently?
I think it may be because being serbian ambassoder to NATO is a depressing ass job.

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23548 on: December 05, 2012, 05:24:52 pm »

History was my worst subject in school so no I didn't realize that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23549 on: December 05, 2012, 06:03:48 pm »

Funny eh?

Not really, pale skin has been a sign of beauty in both European and Japanese culture for 100's of years. Japan's climate is mostly temperate, not tropical.

The average Japanese is a lot fairer in skin than plenty of "Europeans" (since Japan is at a fairly northern latitude). Not everyone in Europe is a Nord, and not everyone in Asia has a complexion like Filipinos or Malaysians.

One interesting aspect is that in many places where light skin is a sought-after thing, a common thing is that a deep tan indicates that you work outdoors - e.g. you're a peasant or a labourer, rather than an office worker, so it's not just vanity, it's women (or men) not wanting to be stereotyped as a "poor person".

A tan being popular may be involved in the shift to a more affluent life-style, along with the "beach culture", wilderness adventure, and sports. A tan now indicates a life of leisure, not of hard labour.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:08:37 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 ... 11037