Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14489158 times)

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #22140 on: November 12, 2012, 06:59:05 pm »

Those threads have both been around for ages, they're not particularly wtfworthy any more.

I don't know if early September counts as being around for "ages". :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22141 on: November 12, 2012, 07:02:23 pm »

Those threads have both been around for ages, they're not particularly wtfworthy any more.

On the internet, it definitely does.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22142 on: November 12, 2012, 07:02:43 pm »

In internet time, that's practically last century.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #22143 on: November 12, 2012, 07:04:17 pm »

On the internet, it definitely does.
Considering how fast this forum moves.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22144 on: November 12, 2012, 07:05:58 pm »

Internet years run on the speed of light.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22145 on: November 12, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »

I made a forum game and RP run in less than 5 parsecs.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22146 on: November 12, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »

Well, techinally speaking the conversion of distance (which is what a ligh-year is) to time is equal to the amount of time it would take a photon to travel that distance in a vacuum (ergo, the speed of light). Therefore, a light year in time is simply a regular year. therefore, time moves at the same spped in and out of the internet. I love saying this to people who interrupt me for saying stuff like that.

You just got scienced. In the face.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:12:38 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22147 on: November 12, 2012, 07:15:28 pm »

Well, techinally speaking the conversion of distance (which is what a ligh-year is) to time is equal to the amount of time it would take a photon to travel that distance in a vacuum (ergo, the speed of light). Therefore, a light year in time is simply a regular year. therefore, time moves at the same spped in and out of the internet. I love saying this to people who interrupt me for saying stuff like that.

You just got scienced.
New York minute, 100 cups of coffee, a thousand dog years, the life of a single blood cell, the decay of an unstable atom.
It's an expression. Time flies as fast as the fastest thing we know of when you're on the internet.
Fyi you got internet years mixed with light years. I mentioned no distances, only speeds.
Your science,
is invalid.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22148 on: November 12, 2012, 07:20:58 pm »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22149 on: November 12, 2012, 07:22:44 pm »

Photons are affected by time dilation. From the photon's perspective, they reach their destination instantaneously, even if they come from the other side of the visible universe.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #22150 on: November 12, 2012, 08:22:23 pm »

Also, they're only a zero-mass particle when at rest. They have nonzero momentum, but zero rest mass.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22151 on: November 12, 2012, 08:29:04 pm »

I believe this belongs in the various physics threads. But since I doubt it's going to move that easily, I'll chip in. I'm not convinced a photon is actually without mass. Ridiculously small, I have no doubt. In fact, I have no doubt in my mind that if a photon particle were at rest, it would be so small that we could not measure it with our modern equipment. But the fact that it has inertia says there must be something the energy is attached to. It also works with my theory that black holes are just super compressed matter, and that all the distortion and phenomena that surrounds them is just super gravity working it's magic on it's contents and everything around it. If a photon has mass, surely gravity would have an effect on it, and a black hole is strong enough to be easily noticed. Time would not be a factor.

But we are getting off topic, and in dire need of more WTF. I'll get us started.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22152 on: November 12, 2012, 08:34:01 pm »

1. Energy and mass are the same thing. Inertia doesn't say that there must be something the energy is attached to; photons are how electromagnetic energy propogates through space-time.

2. That's not "your theory", that's the scientific consensus on black holes. We know that gravity affects photons, this has been experimentally proven. The reason they're affected is because gravity is the curvature of space-time, and photons have mass because they have energy (because woohoo e=mc^2)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #22153 on: November 12, 2012, 08:35:06 pm »

I've watched it enough to not WTF, but some of you guys may get some WTFs out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fxVeAVl2I8
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22154 on: November 12, 2012, 08:35:37 pm »

I believe this belongs in the various physics threads. But since I doubt it's going to move that easily, I'll chip in. I'm not convinced a photon is actually without mass. Ridiculously small, I have no doubt. In fact, I have no doubt in my mind that if a photon particle were at rest, it would be so small that we could not measure it with our modern equipment. But the fact that it has inertia says there must be something the energy is attached to. It also works with my theory that black holes are just super compressed matter, and that all the distortion and phenomena that surrounds them is just super gravity working it's magic on it's contents and everything around it. If a photon has mass, surely gravity would have an effect on it, and a black hole is strong enough to be easily noticed. Time would not be a factor.

But we are getting off topic, and in dire need of more WTF. <a class="bbc_link" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavUpD_IjVY" target="_blank">I'll get us started.

Actually, yes your right there. Black holes are, by definition, singularities. It's why physics hates them so, very much. They are a point that is infintely small and infintely dense. That, shouldn't happen. But it does.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 11037