Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1427 1428 [1429] 1430 1431 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462020 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #21420 on: November 01, 2012, 05:23:54 pm »

You know, what with light traveling at the speed of light... I take it that's a freeze frame image of before the carnage. They're already dead. And pretty much all of them minus one will be permanently blind if they survive.
I dunno, considering we can see the whatever-they-are-beams hitting the ground, I'd say the light is already engulfing most of the scenery in the image. Maybe it's just that the extreme heat hasn't had a chance to completely destroy everything yet.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21421 on: November 01, 2012, 05:28:49 pm »

You know, what with light traveling at the speed of light... I take it that's a freeze frame image of before the carnage. They're already dead. And pretty much all of them minus one will be permanently blind if they survive.
I dunno, considering we can see the whatever-they-are-beams hitting the ground, I'd say the light is already engulfing most of the scenery in the image. Maybe it's just that the extreme heat hasn't had a chance to completely destroy everything yet.
In a bomb, it's the pressure wave that kills you first. In a nuclear bomb, those caught within the initial blast radius get freaking turned into carbon statues by the intense light wave.
Considering that's a freaking orbital light cannon, I think it's safe to say that's a lot of light. They appear to be no more than 30m away.
Carbon ponies.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21422 on: November 01, 2012, 05:34:26 pm »

I want a statue of a pony frozen in carbonite.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21423 on: November 01, 2012, 05:36:07 pm »

In a bomb, it's the pressure wave that kills you first. In a nuclear bomb, those caught within the initial blast radius get freaking turned into carbon statues by the intense light wave.
Considering that's a freaking orbital light cannon, I think it's safe to say that's a lot of light. They appear to be no more than 30m away.
Carbon ponies.
Oh yeah, I know that.
I was just saying that it might be that the image might be just as the light from the beam reaches the viewer, but before it has been on the ponies long enough to completely destroy their chemical structure. Or something. I pretend to know a lot more about physics than I actually do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21424 on: November 01, 2012, 05:36:18 pm »

Carbon ponies.

Perhaps, but if the cannon is literally shooting nothing but light, between the obvious diffusion of the atmosphere (and space, somehow...) and the actual target's likely very weak reflection, there's a good chance that there isn't enough reflected light to pose too significant a danger. At the very least, they should hopefully have no worse than their hair catching on fire and perhaps scalded skin.
Nothing important here, move along.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21425 on: November 01, 2012, 05:37:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21426 on: November 01, 2012, 05:39:44 pm »

Carbon ponies.

Perhaps, but if the cannon is literally shooting nothing but light, between the obvious diffusion of the atmosphere (and space, somehow...) and the actual target's likely very weak reflection, there's a good chance that there isn't enough reflected light to pose too significant a danger. At the very least, they should hopefully have no worse than their hair catching on fire and perhaps scalded skin.

Assuming that it IS diffusing and not instead just burning away the atmosphere and igniting the air with it's intense heat.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21427 on: November 01, 2012, 05:42:51 pm »

I think it's a kinetic round, and the beam of light is being given off by friction superheating the round. So pressure wave, followed by shrapnel.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21428 on: November 01, 2012, 05:45:54 pm »

D: D: D:
CARBON!

If it's shooting nothing but light there's nothing to diffuse. That's a great amount of energy and as you can see, that's just obliterated a building. All that energy's being released as heat kinetic energy and light energy. If it doesn't vaporize them outright in a ball of plasma, they're going to be ionized and... Carbon.
Space = nothing to refract the light
Atmosphere = it doesn't look like its raining, and the light's already expanding in a ball of lovely energy from the soon to be destroyed town center. Not that it matters when it's that much energy involved... And being just a stone throw's away is not going to do anyone wonders.

Applied science is not a game. WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?

*EDIT
Fuck I'm kind of tired, just realized I'm arguing how lethal a stream of light energy is when fired by a cartoon pony.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:56:50 pm by Loud Whispers »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21429 on: November 01, 2012, 05:48:07 pm »

Picture won't load. Sounds grim, though!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21430 on: November 01, 2012, 05:48:57 pm »

Who's got Netflix? Go check out their Recently Added list. What the hell is this. Make sure you watch it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21431 on: November 01, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »

Who's got Netflix? Go check out their Recently Added list. What the hell is this. Make sure you watch it.
Well, someone at Netflix HQ dun goofed.

God, their test video is hilarious.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21432 on: November 01, 2012, 06:08:55 pm »

It's frickin' bizarre.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21433 on: November 01, 2012, 06:35:14 pm »

Well, someone at Netflix HQ dun goofed.
God, their test video is hilarious.
I liked the part with the excerpt from Julius Caesar the best. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21434 on: November 01, 2012, 06:55:25 pm »

Apparently, there is a new movie about seal team six coming out. Most of the details of their most famous mission are still classified. So, I guess it's totally okay to just make shit up. Hooray, artistic license.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 1427 1428 [1429] 1430 1431 ... 11040