Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471309 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #21000 on: October 28, 2012, 03:58:05 pm »

Well for one they'd have to be notably smarter than me, who is the only person where I can objectively say that they're not a genius.
However, I (allegedly) also have a higher IQ than the average person. Which kinda implies that either the test is a load of bull or that there's another factor that I don't know of. Personally I think it's the former because despite what people claim, I'm not smart. Smart people don't violate common sense on a regular basis.

Basically what I'm saying is that tests are a bad way to identify genii. Actions are where it's at.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21001 on: October 28, 2012, 03:59:09 pm »

Just because you don't like someone's music doesn't mean they can't be an intelligent person.
Yep. Though it's not about the music.

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21002 on: October 28, 2012, 04:06:01 pm »

Well for one they'd have to be notably smarter than me, who is the only person where I can objectively say that they're not a genius.
However, I (allegedly) also have a higher IQ than the average person. Which kinda implies that either the test is a load of bull or that there's another factor that I don't know of. Personally I think it's the former because despite what people claim, I'm not smart. Smart people don't violate common sense on a regular basis.

Basically what I'm saying is that tests are a bad way to identify genii. Actions are where it's at.

Well I'm afraid 'to be a genius you have to be smarter than me' is not a very objective scale and just a little ego-centric, so I guess IQ test and SAT scores work better as a scale in this situation.

Just because you don't like someone's music doesn't mean they can't be an intelligent person.
Yep. Though it's not about the music.

Then what's it about?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21003 on: October 28, 2012, 04:07:33 pm »

Well as I said, judging by other people is not objectively possible.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21004 on: October 28, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »

Pretty much this.

Hence Bill O.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #21005 on: October 28, 2012, 04:11:31 pm »

Genius is a very loose term as it is.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21006 on: October 28, 2012, 04:12:13 pm »

An IQ of 140 is higher than roughly 95% of the population. If that doesn't qualify someone as a genius, what does?

I fail to see how your 'allegedy' higher IQ than the average person is really relevant, as the word 'allegedly' would seem to imply you haven't actually had it tested, or don't know the result if your parents had you tested as a child. If you don't know where you are in relation, how can you make a judgement call?

Also as an aside, common sense is neither common or sensible. Unless you're talking about stuff like 'Don't touch hot things with your bare hands' or 'don't stick your face in a blender', I guess.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21007 on: October 28, 2012, 04:14:57 pm »

An IQ of 140 is higher than roughly 95% of the population. If that doesn't qualify someone as a genius, what does?

I fail to see how your 'allegedy' higher IQ than the average person is really relevant, as the word 'allegedly' would seem to imply you haven't actually had it tested, or don't know the result if your parents had you tested as a child. If you don't know where you are in relation, how can you make a judgement call?

Also as an aside, common sense is neither common or sensible. Unless you're talking about stuff like 'Don't touch hot things with your bare hands' or 'don't stick your face in a blender', I guess.
I said "allegedly" because I don't trust the result that I got. And yes, it was higher than 140.

And yes, I do tend to do stuff like that :<
Hence my absolute distrust at the tests.

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21008 on: October 28, 2012, 04:17:56 pm »

Well IQ tests are more about pattern recognition and problem solving than anything else, so it's just one scale of potential intelligence. It doesn't necessarily exclude you from being not-that-clever in other aspects of your life. That's what that in combination with a high SAT score - which is an objective scale of knowledge for that particular graduating year - implies that she's smarter than your average bear.

I'd say this is very much wrong. You can totally objectively judge people when the judging criteria are set. Sure you probably can't judge things along the lines of 'this painting makes me feel sad' but you can, for instance, judge it along the lines of 'this is not an impressionist painting' because the criteria for that are set and defined. Perhaps you could argue that setting those criteria are subjective, but once they're set, then they become a scale of definites you can rank by.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:22:07 pm by Forums User Meat Wizard »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21009 on: October 28, 2012, 04:19:35 pm »

Your average bear, of course, not being able to disguise themselves as your average human.
Those that do, of course, are absolutely hilarious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21010 on: October 28, 2012, 04:21:59 pm »

Your average bear, of course, not being able to disguise themselves as your average human.
But if a bear was capable... How would you know?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21011 on: October 28, 2012, 04:24:10 pm »

Well, I think if a random dude starts  shouting that a member of the visiting adventuring party is actually a bear, and nobody believes him, I might try to look harder.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21012 on: October 28, 2012, 05:07:50 pm »

I'd say this is very much wrong. You can totally objectively judge people when the judging criteria are set. Sure you probably can't judge things along the lines of 'this painting makes me feel sad' but you can, for instance, judge it along the lines of 'this is not an impressionist painting' because the criteria for that are set and defined. Perhaps you could argue that setting those criteria are subjective, but once they're set, then they become a scale of definites you can rank by.
People are not paintings. You can't objectively judge people because you're trying to judge an unobservable, subjective thing with your own subjective thought processes. The human mind (for our purpose, what constitutes a human being) is inherently subjective, and no one individual can wholly understand the mind of another. We can make guesses based on observed behavioral trends and expressions of the other's opinions, but limited and somewhat untrustworthy data combined with guesses do not an objective, accurate conclusion make.

Even with perfect, unlimited telepathy we still wouldn't be able to do so, as the mechanism by which we would observe the mind of another would still be our own, equally opinionated mind. Let me spell it out for you.

ob·jec·tive/əbˈjektiv/
Adjective:   
(of a person or their judgment) Not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21013 on: October 28, 2012, 05:10:08 pm »

Thanks to the happy thread and possibly FD, I found a LOTR/Pirates of the Carribean crossover fanfiction.
BEST
POSSIBLE
THING
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21014 on: October 28, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »

Orlando Bloom x Orlando Bloom?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 11037