Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474271 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #20910 on: October 28, 2012, 01:35:40 am »

Incest is bad in the same sense that living near a nuclear power plant is bad: it probably won't hurt anything if it's a one-time deal, but if you keep doing it for generations things will end with extra heads and insanity.

From a page or two back, but it's pretty disingenuous to assume that people's issues with incest is purely a genetic issue, when in reality it's a massive issue with abuse of parental privilege and responsibility, and in many cases is just outright (sexual) abuse. I'm sure there's plenty of anecdotal tales about fathers and daughters falling in love, but the overwhelming majority of incest these days would come from rape and sexual assault, and not at all a consenting act between two albeit creepy people.

Wincest! It's not a thing.
Well though this is true (probably; I haven't heard of any statistics whatsoever about consensual vs non), the problem is of course rape and sexual assault, not the incest itself.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #20911 on: October 28, 2012, 01:36:51 am »

Technically, a queen bee screws her own male children quite frequently. So they do.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20912 on: October 28, 2012, 01:37:04 am »

Guys. Not a good topic.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20913 on: October 28, 2012, 01:37:35 am »

Incest is bad in the same sense that living near a nuclear power plant is bad: it probably won't hurt anything if it's a one-time deal, but if you keep doing it for generations things will end with extra heads and insanity.

From a page or two back, but it's pretty disingenuous to assume that people's issues with incest is purely a genetic issue, when in reality it's a massive issue with abuse of parental privilege and responsibility, and in many cases is just outright (sexual) abuse. I'm sure there's plenty of anecdotal tales about fathers and daughters falling in love, but the overwhelming majority of incest these days would come from rape and sexual assault, and not at all a consenting act between two albeit creepy people.

What if bees commited incest?

what does that even mean
What if bees knew what I meant?
What if bees knew incest statistics?
What if bees were rape staticians?
What if bees were involved?
What if bees didn't like how things were done?
What if forumgoers rebelled against bees?
What if bees were banished to the Upper forums?
What if they weaponized bees?
What if bees were immune to magma?
What if bees walk?
What if necromancer's raised bees?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:40:53 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #20914 on: October 28, 2012, 01:38:13 am »

Guys. Not a good topic.

I got involved, though...
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20915 on: October 28, 2012, 01:40:10 am »

Technically, a queen bee screws her own male children quite frequently. So they do.

Yes but they're animals. They're not sapient on a level anywhere near approaching ours. To be grumpy at them for breeding with their children is anthropomorphising and not really relevant.

Are you trying to say anything in particular or just saying nonsense for the sake it?

e: see above, i guess so

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20916 on: October 28, 2012, 01:40:46 am »

living near a nuclear power plant is bad: it probably won't hurt anything if it's a one-time deal, but if you keep doing it for generations things will end with extra heads and insanity.

Coal power plants gives off more radiation than nuclear, and having a TV on all day will as well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20917 on: October 28, 2012, 01:41:36 am »

You've halfway convinced me that you're deliberately misinterpreting things.

I say that I don't have a moral issue with incest (generally construed to mean sibling-incest). You claim that I said that I don't have a problem with sexual abuse. That's a pretty blatant strawman. If I said that I didn't have a moral issue with sex, would you claim that I was saying that I was okay with rape? Don't put words in my mouth, not about something like this. Especially not when you're being so damned obvious about it, between the strawman and generalizations. I don't have a whole lot of buttons, but misrepresenting my moral stance is one of them. If I was a little bit more convinced that you were doing it deliberately, I would be a hell of a lot less polite about this.

Thusfar from what I've seen of you, you've made several days of nondescript posts and then suddenly went for stuff that reeks of either stupidity or blatant trolling (Poe's Law, so I'm not certain).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20918 on: October 28, 2012, 01:43:19 am »

Yes but they're animals. They're not sapient on a level anywhere near approaching ours. To bee grumpy at them for breeding with their children is anthropomorphising and not really relevant.

Are you trying to say anything in particular or just saying nonsense for the sake it?

e: see above, i guess so
What if bees made stupid comments?
What if bees fell into a depression?
What if the edit button was bees?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:45:03 am by misko27 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20919 on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:58 am »

living near a nuclear power plant is bad: it probably won't hurt anything if it's a one-time deal, but if you keep doing it for generations things will end with extra heads and insanity.

Coal power plants gives off more radiation than nuclear, and having a TV on all day will as well.
Obvious facetious reference to false "common knowledge" is obvious. If it wasn't already obvious, I'm in a rather uninhibited state of mind at the moment, which means that I'm going to be treating nothing seriously except things that really shouldn't be, like petty historical details and stupidity.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20920 on: October 28, 2012, 01:47:10 am »

Okay, now that I'm done beeing annoying

Guys. Not a good topic.
Excellent point. But your point is bees, unfortunately. Still, we should move to a different topic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20921 on: October 28, 2012, 01:47:54 am »

"Radiation" is a buzzword. It's the type of radiation that matters. Non-ionizing? Irrelevant. Alpha? As long as the source is contained, also irrelevant. Beta and Gamma are where you start to run into the real problems and need specialized shielding.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20922 on: October 28, 2012, 01:49:30 am »

I say that I don't have a moral issue with incest (generally construed to mean sibling-incest). You claim that I said that I don't have a problem with sexual abuse. That's a pretty blatant strawman. If I said that I didn't have a moral issue with sex, would you claim that I was saying that I was okay with rape? Don't put words in my mouth, not about something like this. Especially not when you're being so damned obvious about it, between the strawman and generalizations. I don't have a whole lot of buttons, but misrepresenting my moral stance is one of them. If I was a little bit more convinced that you were doing it deliberately, I would be a hell of a lot less polite about this.

Thusfar from what I've seen of you, you've made several days of nondescript posts and then suddenly went for stuff that reeks of either stupidity or blatant trolling (Poe's Law, so I'm not certain).

I'm not trying to point words in your mouth, I'm just saying that by making light of it you're normalising and trivialising what is an otherwise serious topic. If you don't like me making assumptions, then don't make open-ended assertions like "I am ok with incest" when a topic like that is not just something you can casually slip into a conversation without someone hopefully going 'wait, what?'. If you want to defend or revile incest, that's your thing, but you can't flip out because I dared to press the point further on a point you failed to introduce any of your actual beliefs on.

For guys who seem to have been going out of their way to tell me this place is one where you can challenge and call each other out on things, everyone sure does seem to gang up on me and call me stupid, trolling, or just devolve into nonsensical posting like misko27 there, whose response to this all is to try and wacky away a discussion and make veiled threats behind calling things 'bees' instead.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20923 on: October 28, 2012, 01:50:39 am »

I'm not trying to point words in your mouth, I'm just saying that by making light of it you're normalising and trivialising what is an otherwise serious topic. If you don't like me making assumptions, then don't make open-ended assertions like "I am ok with incest" when a topic like that is not just something you can casually slip into a conversation without someone hopefully going 'wait, what?'. If you want to defend or revile incest, that's your thing, but you can't flip out because I dared to press the point further on a point you failed to introduce any of your actual beliefs on.

For guys who seem to have been going out of their way to tell me this place is one where you can challenge and call each other out on things, everyone sure does seem to gang up on me and call me stupid, trolling, or just devolve into nonsensical posting like misko27 there, whose response to this all is to try and wacky away a discussion and make veiled threats behind calling things 'bees' instead.
It appears you are seeing threats where they aren't. We have moved on to a different topic. I think you have a victim-complex. We call people out, and you are trying to force people into your point-of-view, then getting upset when people call you on it.
Unlike bees.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:56:33 am by misko27 »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20924 on: October 28, 2012, 01:51:46 am »

Try not being stupid in that case.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 11037