Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1386 1387 [1388] 1389 1390 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479761 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #20805 on: October 27, 2012, 06:45:11 pm »

Aren't you usually right in the middle of stupidity?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20806 on: October 27, 2012, 06:46:07 pm »

Don't worry, you're accounted for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20807 on: October 27, 2012, 06:46:20 pm »

Yeah, I quite like the emotion threads. Interesting chatter.
For varying (sometimes by the post) definitions of interesting.
Jesus, WHY DOES EVERYTHING INTERESTING HAPPEN WHEN I AM OUT!?!

I spend limitless times on the forums waiting for something particularly stupid to occur, and when it does, I'm not even there to enjoy it!
Replace "stupid" with "hot" and you've got the story of my life.

I would have gone for (feigned) insanity.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20808 on: October 27, 2012, 06:52:50 pm »

I spend limitless times on the forums waiting for something particularly stupid to occur, and when it does, I'm not even there to enjoy it!

I'm glad you think I'm stupid???

First time in a while I've seen someone be vocally (ah, textually, I suppose) adverse to the routine here, as opposed to either fitting right in or slipping silently into that good night. There's my WTF of the evening, I suppose.

That people who don't automatically carry the status quo is a 'what the fuck' moment to you is a pretty what the fuck moment to me, I guess. If all you want posting in threads is people that just go with the hivemind and post non-challenging things you agree with, then what's the point of posting? If all the content has the same voice, then it doesn't matter how many people are saying it, it's all the same pointless nonsense. I know some forums have problems with there being a new thread for any little thought being posted, but I'd rather there be a million threads for posting content to be discussed than a half-dozen megathreads where it seems to be the normal to not actually discussing any single thing in particular. You've just shifted the problem from 'a million pointless threads' to 'a million pointless posts'.

But whatever I guess. Every good forum needs a discussion on what stuff like this every now and then.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #20809 on: October 27, 2012, 06:55:35 pm »

also, that fapmaster moment seems to have made me a minor forum celebrity that is only mentioned to prove how unusual these forums are.
No, it's more the fact that you mention it at every available opportunity, regardless of the context of whatever conversation is occurring.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20810 on: October 27, 2012, 06:57:56 pm »

also, that fapmaster moment seems to have made me a minor forum celebrity that is only mentioned to prove how unusual these forums are.
No, it's more the fact that you mention it at every available opportunity, regardless of the context of whatever conversation is occurring.
I'm going to regret this, but what was this incident?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20811 on: October 27, 2012, 06:58:12 pm »

we do challenge each other. somewhat frequently. it's just that most people that come to bay12 appear to have a similar mindset to other bay12ers, resulting in fairly seamless assimilation integration.

I still don't see how it's a good thing, is all. It just creates the problems that Reddit has at the moment; an endless parade of shitlords who tow the line of the biggest power-users who define the culture of the site as 'think what I think' and they have a meltdown every time anyone, no matter how reasonable, interrupts them.

I've browsed the forums for a while now and I certainly can't recall the last time anyone challenged anyone where it wasn't shouted down as 'being mean' or 'going against the culture of the forum'. That's not a good environment to foster!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20812 on: October 27, 2012, 06:59:18 pm »

I'd rather there be a million threads for posting content to be discussed than a half-dozen megathreads where it seems to be the normal to not actually discussing any single thing in particular.
The WTF thread is the secondary discussion thread, the terrified thread the tertiary. The primary discussion thread is a thread where nothing but discussion is discussed.

So yeah, bay12, it works bitches.

I'm going to regret this, but what was this incident?
Greatorder posted about the noise he makes when he types keys on his keyboard.

It went "fap fap fap fap."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20813 on: October 27, 2012, 07:02:14 pm »

Woah, woah, WOAH, feigned?

and a large ego revolving around his possible insanity?
That part I'm fine with. I have noticed a certain level of Narcissim.

we do challenge each other. somewhat frequently. it's just that most people that come to bay12 appear to have a similar mindset to other bay12ers, resulting in fairly seamless assimilation integration.

I still don't see how it's a good thing, is all. It just creates the problems that Reddit has at the moment; an endless parade of shitlords who tow the line of the biggest power-users who define the culture of the site as 'think what I think' and they have a meltdown every time anyone, no matter how reasonable, interrupts them.

I've browsed the forums for a while now and I certainly can't recall the last time anyone challenged anyone where it wasn't shouted down as 'being mean' or 'going against the culture of the forum'. That's not a good environment to foster!
So why be here then? I mean, we got a nice vibe here, you don't like it, it's a free country, We don't like havign to constantly argue.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20814 on: October 27, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »

We have people from all around the world with all kinds of varying beliefs, sexualities, world views and political alignments. Of course we disagree on a lot of things - but we don't go around saying "YOU'RE WRONG!" for no reason - we give sources, information and our opinions. By the end of the discussion it ends in everyone reaching informed opinions. Conflicting or no, they are still informed opinions. Need I send you to the last feminism thread?
That is discussion. Being a dick is not. If that's what you think of this forum, then you have more to lurk.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20815 on: October 27, 2012, 07:06:11 pm »

Well, theres no visible post count short of looking at profiles, and its easier to find interesting threads, so except for the occasional 504, I'd say too many posts is better than too many threads.
That and theres not really much to push things one way or the other here with only 2 admins, and one board-specific moderator besides the community in general (which doesn't always get somewhere particularly well or quick, but eventually gets back to a good state), or toady's/threetoe's intervention (which usually halts the thread almost immediately due to the uncommonness, or removes it)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20816 on: October 27, 2012, 07:06:59 pm »

I'm glad you think I'm stupid???

Unless you classify yourself as a thing, I don't think he does.

First time in a while I've seen someone be vocally (ah, textually, I suppose) adverse to the routine here, as opposed to either fitting right in or slipping silently into that good night. There's my WTF of the evening, I suppose.

That people who don't automatically carry the status quo is a 'what the fuck' moment to you is a pretty what the fuck moment to me, I guess. If all you want posting in threads is people that just go with the hivemind and post non-challenging things you agree with, then what's the point of posting? If all the content has the same voice, then it doesn't matter how many people are saying it, it's all the same pointless nonsense. I know some forums have problems with there being a new thread for any little thought being posted, but I'd rather there be a million threads for posting content to be discussed than a half-dozen megathreads where it seems to be the normal to not actually discussing any single thing in particular. You've just shifted the problem from 'a million pointless threads' to 'a million pointless posts'.

But whatever I guess. Every good forum needs a discussion on what stuff like this every now and then.

Uh. I don't really see where this came from. I don't see much of a 'hivemind' in agreeing to make some effort to keep the various nonsensical things confined to a few areas. We make threads for things that generate enough (and serious enough) discussion to need a thread; politics, animus, programming, more politics, and bits of news/recent events/discussions that have some meat to them. I don't really see how four or five threads composed largely of randomness are worse than a board full of random pointless threads; this way, actual discussions aren't buried under dozens of fast-burning threads. Seeking argument for the sake of argument isn't a good thing, and it sort of pisses me off when people act as if it is. Arguing is fun, but I for one don't want to have it pervade every damned thread. You do, of course, realize that meaningful interaction is possible without conflict, no?

As much as I dislike the condescending smugness behind the term 'shitposting', I still agree that it's for the best to have areas for it rather than spreading it into serious debates.

Actually, this is rather strongly reminding me of certain people a short while ago, with the whole "Calling us on being dicks" = "OMG HUGBOX" thing.

3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20817 on: October 27, 2012, 07:09:44 pm »

Uh. I don't really see where this came from. I don't see much of a 'hivemind' in agreeing to make some effort to keep the various nonsensical things confined to a few areas. We make threads for things that generate enough (and serious enough) discussion to need a thread; politics, animus, programming, more politics, and bits of news/recent events/discussions that have some meat to them. I don't really see how four or five threads composed largely of randomness are worse than a board full of random pointless threads; this way, actual discussions aren't buried under dozens of fast-burning threads. Seeking argument for the sake of argument isn't a good thing, and it sort of pisses me off when people act as if it is. Arguing is fun, but I for one don't want to have it pervade every damned thread. You do, of course, realize that meaningful interaction is possible without conflict, no?

As much as I dislike the condescending smugness behind the term 'shitposting', I still agree that it's for the best to have areas for it rather than spreading it into serious debates.

Actually, this is rather strongly reminding me of certain people a short while ago, with the whole "Calling us on being dicks" = "OMG HUGBOX" thing.
If this was the upper forums, they'd say they were a hivemind, and start trolling you. The lower forums disappoint me sometimes.

Well, theres no visible post count short of looking at profiles, and its easier to find interesting threads, so except for the occasional 504, I'd say too many posts is better than too many threads.
That and theres not really much to push things one way or the other here with only 2 admins, and one board-specific moderator besides the community in general (which doesn't always get somewhere particularly well or quick, but eventually gets back to a good state), or toady's/threetoe's intervention (which usually halts the thread almost immediately due to the uncommonness, or removes it)
I'm not the only guy getting those? Thank good.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20818 on: October 27, 2012, 07:11:15 pm »

Yeah, I've seen a higher than normal incidence rate of 504s the past week or two as well. The upper forums... it's like a collection of boards full of people who are like Necro but not as funny, and a few sensible souls.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20819 on: October 27, 2012, 07:11:35 pm »

If this was the upper forums, they'd say they were a hivemind, and start trolling you. The lower forums disappoint me sometimes.
It's easier to get away with things on the upper forums.
*cough* magma *cough* space program *cough*

Yeah, I've seen a higher than normal incidence rate of 504s the past week or two as well. The upper forums... it's like a collection of boards full of people who are like Necro but not as funny, and a few sensible souls.  :P
Back! Ye heathens of the lower boards! I have a katana! Those are sharper than normal swords you know!
Pages: 1 ... 1386 1387 [1388] 1389 1390 ... 11037