Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481900 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #20010 on: October 19, 2012, 09:30:17 am »

Could we theoretically run out of fresh air?
We could indeed deplete the breathable air supply critically, but if it goes that far we're already screwed.
EDIT: or rather, the carbon dioxide in the air, thus producing a kind of reverse global warming, a global cooling?
This is a misconception. As Earth's climate destabilizes both warming and cooling will happen as the planet's temperature stasis is undone. Too little carbon dioxide is unlikely to happen, as it will mean a massive plant dieoff as they are unable to absorb carbon and produce oxygen. This will raise the C02 level again as less plant life will be around to absorb it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #20011 on: October 19, 2012, 09:35:40 am »

I don't know what exactly the point of this thing is, but I could only guess 30 games... Out of 167. -____-

I'm not sure, but I may have just been trolled.

167 Hidden Video Game City

It's pretty fun. Even when it does cheat by only accepting the North American release name of a game >.>
* The Darkling Wolf is at 33 right now
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20012 on: October 19, 2012, 09:40:53 am »

I don't know what exactly the point of this thing is, but I could only guess 30 games... Out of 167. -____-

It's pretty fun. Even when it does cheat by only accepting the North American release name of a game >.>
37 so far. Took me a while to see they do cryptogram-style as well.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20013 on: October 19, 2012, 09:42:16 am »

For my next magic trick, I am going to conjure gasoline out of thin air.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-pioneering-scientists-turn-fresh-air-into-petrol-in-massive-boost-in-fight-against-energy-crisis-8217382.html
Huh.

So, uh. I'm guessing... the next trick? Lead into gold?

I can't help but wonder if the alchemists of yesteryear are spinning in their graves or cheering. It seems science has made us into flipping wizards. Again. What magic tricks are the magi of today lacking, anyway? We still need to crack teleportation, I guess, but what's left besides that?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20014 on: October 19, 2012, 09:44:14 am »

Sufficently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20015 on: October 19, 2012, 09:50:27 am »

Hmm, extracting CO2 from the air just to burn it again isn't going to fix global warming. It doesn't fix the energy crisis either, since they still need to input electricity.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20016 on: October 19, 2012, 09:55:11 am »

Electricity we can mooch from the sun or wind or tide. Or a few other things. Point of it is the ability to turn a more renewable resource (Air + green energy) into a more versatile one (petrol), one that's already accepted by important chunks of the current infrastructure that doesn't accept the renewable stuff.

No telling if it'll actually "fix" the energy crisis, but it didn't claim to. It's just another potential tool in the fight. Assuming they can manage to scale it up and get it working on a larger scale without major downsides. It's promising stuff, though. And... yeah. It won't fix global warming, but it looks like a possible way to edge human contribution to it closer to zero-sum. Which is good!

Also magic! Or would have been a couple hundred years ago. We are the wizards! Ahaha!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:56:42 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20017 on: October 19, 2012, 09:57:00 am »

I don't usually even wanna talk about stuff even remotely related to law, but this is just... and I quote:
" I wanna give my house and everything I own to my kids and go to mexico before the government re elects the black one." ~ stuff I couldn't make up..... :(
Of course followed by the obligatory, "How much would that cost me?" (Not touching that one with 40 ft pole)

[British Naturalist Voice, Documentary Music Plays in the Background]
And here we have the all too common North American moron. Our camera crew is being extra cautious, because they are known to be especially more aggressive every four years or so. Notice his pronounced agitation and bumper stickers along with the slightest touch of mouth foam, barely contained. Most of his aggression seems to be aimed at media devices such as televisions, radios, posters, fliers, and anyone else who disagrees with him. This year, this particular specimen appears to be especially agitated to the point of contemplating a long migration to a place where he doesn't speak the language while giving up all of his earthly possessions to avoid a darker skinned authority figure.

Join us next time on British Naturalist Documentary where we'll have shocking footage of your cat, not stolen from lolcats and we're not lazy. Budget cuts people... [sigh]

I don't even.... Just....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:59:13 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20018 on: October 19, 2012, 09:59:02 am »

Only got one so far. I'll just keep trying.

E:
Looks like i kinda got it. At  atm.

E2:
Damnit. I think i recognized a game but i can't name it. I know it is on steam and had a fake sequel.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:04:31 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20019 on: October 19, 2012, 10:03:08 am »

[snip]
So, uh. It seems like you might be making the area better off if you helped the fellow out? Kids get loot, he runs south of the border and probably gets eaten by the cartels, you get paid. Win/win/win?

Is there a professional ethical rule about not helping people ruin their lives, even if the people in question want to? Because it looks like you're in a perfect position to grant a genie's wish ♪
Ask not!
Ask!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20020 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:56 am »

I ... don't know, but in any sense ... I'm not touching this one with a 40 ft pole.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20021 on: October 19, 2012, 10:18:05 am »

Only got one so far. I'll just keep trying.
61. I give up now.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20022 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33:11 am »

Wat.

What is this- I don't even-

* da_nang can't compute this nonsense

They argued that mobile and cordless phones emit electromagnetic radiation causing damage to cells and increasing the risk of tumours. But they added that many tumours don't appear for 15 years making short-term studies on mobile phone use redundant.
Wait, are you saying the non-ionizing radiation is causing cancer? The radiation that doesn't even have enough energy to remove a single electron from any atom? I'm sorry, what? Is your brain working correctly?
The worst it can do is warm up a part of your body ever so slightly and that is only if you get so unlucky to hit a resonance frequency (and no one in their right mind would use microwaves in the 2.45 GHz range). Even then, the average mobile phone outputs a signal with a small wattage, typically the max is in 1-3 W. Even if all that went into heating up an object, the average blackbody radiation power of a human being is 100 W and it is typically higher at the head. A mobile phone's effect on the temperature in a body part is negligible.
And this is without accounting for the level of absorption! Or the many other electronic appliances that have existed for a long time and used similar frequency ranges.

You know what the worse part is? That this was a decision made in court, without any solid data backing it up. Yup, apparently judges can be scientists and make scientific decisions without any scientific background or proper research.

I'm so hoping this is a joke or a perfect example of bad journalism, considering the primary source is The Sun.

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20023 on: October 19, 2012, 10:34:43 am »

The irony being that quite a few mexicans are tanner than Obama, so if it's racism she's moving the opposite of the "right" direction.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20024 on: October 19, 2012, 10:39:55 am »

Hmm, extracting CO2 from the air just to burn it again isn't going to fix global warming. It doesn't fix the energy crisis either, since they still need to input electricity.
I thought the reason we had a CO2 problem was because we're putting -new- CO2 in the air, carbon that has been trapped under the rock for millions of years. Just cycling CO2 that is already in the air shouldn't hurt anything more, should it?

Of course, that doesn't help with the carbon that we -already- pumped into the atmosphere. But are you really expecting a magical panacea?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:42:51 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 11037