Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479424 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #19800 on: October 14, 2012, 09:10:31 pm »

Re: "sick time". A whole lot of jobs in the US (including some that pay better than minimum wage) have essentially no conception of taking time off. The place where I work when I'm not in classes even tries to stop people from swapping shifts with each other; missing three days is grounds for automatic termination (even if you were too ill to call in, etc.). When you've got people lining up to take your place, you can't protest very much.

This is pretty true in general. I work for a grocery store chain that has less than five stores, so they're more of a family business than something like Wal-Mart, and they'll let you get away with being a little late, or calling in sick every once in a great while, and you get vacation time/insurance/etc for full time. The bosses are pretty understanding of things.
But, if they come in late at night when it's dead, and you're not doing anything, they'll cut your hours to barely anything instantly. Do it again, you're fired. So. I don't take sick days, vacation, and I'm always fifteen minutes early.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19801 on: October 14, 2012, 09:52:50 pm »

Idk, a lot of people I know had their hours cut to part time anyways. Plenty of downtime for them. I think that is the trend for businesses, part employees cost them less for insurance and benefits, it's cheaper to hire 40 part timers then 20 full time employees.

Which would be great if you could survive off ~24 hours a week.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19802 on: October 14, 2012, 09:58:11 pm »

There's that as well. Hans is probably not allowed to leave the United States right now in any case.

Yeah. Not at all. Like. Not at all.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #19803 on: October 14, 2012, 11:03:08 pm »

Idk, a lot of people I know had their hours cut to part time anyways. Plenty of downtime for them. I think that is the trend for businesses, part employees cost them less for insurance and benefits, it's cheaper to hire 40 part timers then 20 full time employees.

More like 60 part timers for the cost of 20 full time employees. Full timers not only take up more insurance and other benefits, they're paid a bit more and can't go below a certain number of hours a week. Throw in whatever tax breaks companies get for hiring as many people as possible, and you've got some serious savings for hiring lots of part time employees.

At my store they're cutting hours pretty deeply. I'm down to 20 a week from 32. I'm lucky enough to live with family, but I know folks that are making a living off of the 14 hours a week they suddenly have. It blows my mind that the managers can be so uncaring.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19804 on: October 14, 2012, 11:10:16 pm »

More like 60 part timers for the cost of 20 full time employees. Full timers not only take up more insurance and other benefits, they're paid a bit more and can't go below a certain number of hours a week. Throw in whatever tax breaks companies get for hiring as many people as possible, and you've got some serious savings for hiring lots of part time employees.

At my store they're cutting hours pretty deeply. I'm down to 20 a week from 32. I'm lucky enough to live with family, but I know folks that are making a living off of the 14 hours a week they suddenly have. It blows my mind that the managers can be so uncaring.

Idk, I'm incredibly happy and lucky that I have a full time salaried job. I don't take sick days, never have which is why I might have survived the cut during the handful of streamlining and reorganization the firm has gone through. I actually like my job and I like working. I earn more money then I spend, being a rather frugal, unambitious spender. Frankly, I save up as much money as I can in case I don't survive the next cut. Thing is, I'm not middle management material. I'm not ambitious, not a people person, not very highly educated either.

I calculated that if fired, I can I survive working 24 hours a week at 10$ and hour. Almost Utopian stuff, so much more free time then I have now.

However, if I had to support a family, or even live in a decent neighborhood, I'd be SOL. Glad I'm not married.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #19805 on: October 15, 2012, 02:44:56 am »

So I made some no-bake cookies earlier and they were a little chewier than I wanted. So my friend comes over, has one, hears my vague description of the intended consistency, and goes "Yeah, melt a bit of chocolate into them and you'll get a firmer consistency since it'll harden." This kid's like the cooking genius.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19806 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:41 am »

I had no idea things were that bad.  The UK gives us a legal minimum of 28 days paid holiday per year for a full time (35 hours) employee, with part timers getting the same pro rata.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19807 on: October 15, 2012, 09:43:17 am »

No one ever said the US was great at anything helpful ::)
We just have the huge military and invented the internet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19808 on: October 15, 2012, 09:52:03 am »

and invented the internet.

That was kind of a gradual thing, and involved many different people and organizations from across the globe.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19809 on: October 15, 2012, 11:07:33 am »

... and was probably a pan-european effort at CERN anyway.
This is a blank sig.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19810 on: October 15, 2012, 11:11:34 am »

and invented the internet.

That was kind of a gradual thing, and involved many different people and organizations from across the globe.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you from the moon. :P
He's fucking with us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19811 on: October 15, 2012, 11:16:34 am »

GOD DAMN IT DESMOND

GET OFF THE FUCKING MOON
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19812 on: October 15, 2012, 11:25:16 am »

Outside of a few weapons programs, there weren't many "pan-european" projects until after the fall of the Soviet Union. Up until the last generation or two, Europe was more nationalistic and much further to the right than the US. That's one of the main causes of the current near-hatred of Europe in much of the US, as there is now a nigh-constant stream of mockery for not going far enough with ideals that Europe mocked us for having not too long ago.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19813 on: October 15, 2012, 11:28:48 am »

Outside of a few weapons programs, there weren't many "pan-european" projects until after the fall of the Soviet Union. Up until the last generation or two, Europe was more nationalistic and much further to the right than the US. That's one of the main causes of the current near-hatred of Europe in much of the US, as there is now a nigh-constant stream of mockery for not going far enough with ideals that Europe mocked us for having not too long ago.

Europe is like USA's supertroll older brother.
'Hey, you're gay if you don't get off your ass and help us out!'
'God, what a douche, sticking your nose in our business all the time.'
'Wow, dumbass can't even defeat Al Qaeda.'
'Way to go oppressing Iraq, man. Way to go.'
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19814 on: October 15, 2012, 11:29:36 am »

I had no idea things were that bad.  The UK gives us a legal minimum of 28 days paid holiday per year for a full time (35 hours) employee, with part timers getting the same pro rata.
I never fail to be surprised at how unknown US working conditions are outside of the US. Go pretty much anywhere on the internet that this is being discussed and you'll definitely find non-Americans who are shocked and appalled by it. I figured everyone would have known by now, but this information consistently fails to spread.

In light of that, I guess it is also no surprise that there is no real political movement to change the current situation. That whole Protestant Work Ethic is very strong, and part of why you'll find Americans who see vacation policies like the UK's as indicative of being a lazy society or something.
Kind of, kind of not. The ARPANET Project is where the Internet really started.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 11037