Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1317 1318 [1319] 1320 1321 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14478592 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #19770 on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:48 am »

Ahaha, I now have a disturbing image of past priests spontaneously orgasming at the thought of in-vitro fertilization. Imagine, a method of reproduction in which you don't even have to be in the same room!

In retrospect, it's kinda' odd that you see a bit of a backlash against that and related tech by the particularly prudish among the pious. You'd think it'd be a god-sent (heh) technology for them, the ability to completely divorce sinful pleasures of the flesh from holy reproduction. Inquisitors for the Iron Womb? Need more catchy group names, hum.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:49:25 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #19771 on: October 14, 2012, 09:55:37 am »

Suddenly, virgin births. Thousands of them.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19772 on: October 14, 2012, 10:02:19 am »

That's pretty dodgy. There's only four sources, and I'm familiar enough with one of the authors to know that she's largely responsible for repopularizing the explanation of a certain article of Jewish ceremonial clothing as a fuck-sheet, while another of the sources is an encyclopedia. If such a thing existed and was in relatively common use, there would be far more support.

Besides that, the middle ages were far less prudish than the neo-victorian mindeset of today (though less keen on women's rights.) Much of the poems and other works (many of which would later be adapted by Shakespeare) were incredibly bawdy, and the Church was almost exclusively concerned with stamping out heresy and unifying Europe.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19773 on: October 14, 2012, 10:03:26 am »

Would a flight to the UK be cheaper than paying for the medical care?
Between the departure fee, the hotel costs, the passport fee, the actual plane ticket, and probably losing his job once he leaves? There's no way you could make a net return on that. Plus, doesn't the NHS not treat foreigners?
Also, people are crazy.
Oh Christianity, you so psychotically inhuman.
In retrospect, it's kinda' odd that you see a bit of a backlash against that and related tech by the particularly prudish among the pious. You'd think it'd be a god-sent (heh) technology for them, the ability to completely divorce sinful pleasures of the flesh from holy reproduction. Inquisitors for the Iron Womb? Need more catchy group names, hum.
There are things like that. Sylvester Grahm and John Harvey Kellogg used technology to make the original Grahm crackers and Kellogg flakes, which were then nearly-tasteless foods used to promote a sinless lifestyle. No meat, no spices, and no alcohol, as of course these things cause sin and masturbation, which are exactly the same thing and the cause of all problems in society.

Remember, taste abstinence is the only effective way to stay safe from sinning.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19774 on: October 14, 2012, 10:12:27 am »

Their belief (not based on religion in any way, but on the SCIENCE! of the day) was actually that most health problems were caused by sexual depletion of a particular bodily fluid. Thus, anything that encouraged randiness, and thus exacearbated said depletion, had to go during the treatment phase. It's little different in principle from the enema craze of the 50s or the more modern "cleansing purge".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19775 on: October 14, 2012, 10:18:09 am »

...There was an enema craze?

...I need brain bleach.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19776 on: October 14, 2012, 10:19:31 am »

Would a flight to the UK be cheaper than paying for the medical care?
Between the departure fee, the hotel costs, the passport fee, the actual plane ticket, and probably losing his job once he leaves? There's no way you could make a net return on that. Plus, doesn't the NHS not treat foreigners?

I'm confused now.  Why would he get fired for spending a couple of days in a different country, and doesn't pretty much everyone living in a first world country have a passport these days?  IIRC the NHS is technically supposed to charge foreigners for treatment, but there's no way in hell they'd actually turn anyone away.  Hotel fees are irrelevant really.  You can easily get a hostel bed for under a tenner at short notice.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19777 on: October 14, 2012, 10:27:24 am »

Quite a few americans don't have passports, from what I've seen. Most people I know don't, but I'm in a pretty insular area. Most of them don't really have any interest in going to other countries. Also, passports are apparently kinda' expensive. Fifty somethin' bucks at the low end, if I'm parsing it right. If a fellow already can't afford medical fees, that's... not inconsiderable.

As for the fired for spending a couple days in another country, well. Depends on where those days landed. Missing one or two days of work can get yer arse tossed out in the states right now, in a number of cases. Considering Hans is having legal issues at the moment as well...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19778 on: October 14, 2012, 10:29:05 am »

There's that as well. Hans is probably not allowed to leave the United States right now in any case.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19779 on: October 14, 2012, 10:45:00 am »

MUST. WASH. AWAY. SIN.

AMONGST OTHER THINGS.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19780 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:58 am »

People thought you could wash away sin by introducing liquids into the rectum?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19781 on: October 14, 2012, 10:49:07 am »

MUST. WASH. AWAY. SIN.

AMONGST OTHER THINGS.
The wikipedia page for enema also mentions that a sort of weird-ass medical therapy included coffee enemas.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #19782 on: October 14, 2012, 10:50:36 am »

Nothing beats pouring a cup of joe into your butt to get your day started.

People thought you could wash away sin by introducing liquids into the rectum?

Amongst other things.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19783 on: October 14, 2012, 11:25:03 am »

Quite a few americans don't have passports, from what I've seen. Most people I know don't, but I'm in a pretty insular area. Most of them don't really have any interest in going to other countries.

Why do you think that is?

As for the fired for spending a couple days in another country, well. Depends on where those days landed. Missing one or two days of work can get yer arse tossed out in the states right now, in a number of cases.

You guys don't get sick days?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19784 on: October 14, 2012, 11:26:11 am »

Not if you're a minimum-wage peon.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1317 1318 [1319] 1320 1321 ... 11037