Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1291 1292 [1293] 1294 1295 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445437 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #19380 on: October 09, 2012, 10:36:33 am »

True enough, but when you see some subreddits dedicated to stuff that wouldn't fly even in /b/...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19381 on: October 09, 2012, 10:43:11 am »

True enough, but when you see some subreddits dedicated to stuff that wouldn't fly even in /b/...
I think TB said is pretty well in one of his videos when someone has asked about /v/ or /r/gaming.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:47:57 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19382 on: October 09, 2012, 10:46:27 am »

To be fair, you can find a lot of those anywhere on the internet- reddit just makes it easier to find and follow those. Most people don't go there anyways.

Aaaanyways, (I'm thinking I should just reserve a post on the rage thread) my roommate was all kinds of pissed off this morning because the bathroom was being cleaned so he couldn't shower but never thought to use a shower on a different floor. At least, that's what I think he was pissed off about. It's still really hard to say with him.

Your dorm bathrooms get cleaned?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #19383 on: October 09, 2012, 11:16:54 am »

In DF, I was mucking around in the arena tester, and I was playing as a human male vampire vs. a human male vampire, both unskilled.  I grabbed the other guy in the head, threw him, and he promptly fell on me and crushed my guy's brain.

???
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19384 on: October 09, 2012, 11:24:44 am »

Dunno if anybody had heard about this, but there's this dude who's going to try a 23-mile freefall jump today. He's riding a mammoth freaking balloon (made of material 1/3 the thickness of a Ziploc bag) up to 120,000 feet altitude, inside a pressurized capsule while wearing a modified spacesuit. Then he'll open the capsule, while high enough that the sky will be black and he can actually see the curvature of the earth...and he'll jump. And he'll drop (with a live camera feed) for nearly 23 miles before opening the parachute.

The cool thing is that it's not just for "the Xxxxtreeme" nature of it (despite the Red Bull sponsorship), but is actually doing some scientific good, both in the balloon (which has some potential space elevator applications) and in the modified suit, parachute and capsule (which could provide information to design another type of escape capsule for the ISS and other LEO vessels, on a much smaller and cheaper scale than a full Soyuz capsule).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19385 on: October 09, 2012, 11:27:05 am »

First thought: WTF do people like jumping from the near the edge of space so much for.
Second thought: Science!!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19386 on: October 09, 2012, 11:30:00 am »

How... how long is it going to take to drop that far? Long enough to take a nap? I mean... what do you do during a twenty three mile drop? Sounds... somewhat boring, really. At least the middle bits. The beginning and end, less so.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19387 on: October 09, 2012, 11:31:07 am »

My random guess would be about 10 minutes. Sky diving doesn't last very long at all.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19388 on: October 09, 2012, 11:35:22 am »

Dunno....apparently they're hoping he will break the sound barrier on his way down. They're not entirely sure what breaking the sound barrier will do to a PERSON (i.e. one not inside of a vehicle breaking the sound barrier) but then that's why the modified space suit. Pretty sure it would be impossible to breath at that speed.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #19389 on: October 09, 2012, 11:36:55 am »

Wasn't there a dude who did the same jump from ~4 miles lower years ago?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19390 on: October 09, 2012, 11:37:52 am »

you fall about 2 miles a minute at terminal velocity - though that's actually a bit less the higher up you go, let's pretend it average out with the time it takes to reach that speed.

So...
About 11-12 minutes of freefall, max, and then (I assume) a bit of parachute time, which takes longer. Though that may be more of an upper bound than an actual estimate, and the spacesuit could be significantly more dense than a person, giving him a higher terminal velocity even at normal heights.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #19391 on: October 09, 2012, 11:40:12 am »

Terminal velicity is based on the density of the air and the cross section of the aerodynamic qualities of the falling object. At 23 miles, the air is MUCH less dense, and terminal velocity will be many times higher.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19392 on: October 09, 2012, 11:45:41 am »

Wasn't there a dude who did the same jump from ~4 miles lower years ago?
The current record holder is a former Air Force Colonel who jumped from 102,800 feet back in 1960. He's also an adviser on this mission.

Since they're streaming this live (and a bunch of other news sites are picking up the feed too), I really hope they show this to kids in the classroom.
You want kids interested in science? Don't show them a frog being dissected, show them a dude skydiving from spaaaaaaaace.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19393 on: October 09, 2012, 11:46:10 am »

Which is why I considered that the max, rather than an actual estimate. :P

I know neither the terminal velocity at those heights, how long it will take him to reach them, or how long it will take him to slow down to terminal velocity at lower altitudes. But I know he /can't/ take longer than 12 minutes to finish his free fall.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19394 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:32 am »

The thought is that breaking the sound barrier with that little protection would normally have the potential to be fatal, but because there's so little air at that height he should be fine. Should.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1291 1292 [1293] 1294 1295 ... 11040