Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454272 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #19290 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:25 pm »

Much as I like you Vorthon, it's not a "I'll die with you" thing :P

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeee?
Fiiiiine. But I expect handsome hazard pay. I accept payment in the form of cuddles.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19291 on: October 08, 2012, 06:17:01 pm »

So, I'm not at a actual computer at the mo', so if someone would be a dear and link one of my generic rants here, preferably a appropriate one, that'd be great.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19292 on: October 08, 2012, 06:19:27 pm »

...Who said anything about taking Mars? I'd settle for one of its poles, to be honest.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19293 on: October 08, 2012, 06:21:32 pm »

Take Mars while you can. Soon, FD's empire will sweep across the stars! Mwahahahahaha!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19294 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
not sure if joke, meant to be offensive, or just stupid.
Why would it be offensive?

All in good fun, making mockery out of people's core beliefs.

For example:
*I've been saving this for a while now - such a thing never before seen by the internet:

~And they said this stuff was useless.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19295 on: October 08, 2012, 07:07:04 pm »

This isn't really wtf by itself, just the reaction to it is. Of course you'd have an advantage if you come in a city with superior internet speeds if no one else is willing to improve to compete with it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19296 on: October 08, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »

All in good fun, making mockery out of people's core beliefs.

For example:
*I've been saving this for a while now - such a thing never before seen by the internet:

~And they said this stuff was useless.

fuck you, I'm in a giggling fit, now.
Somewhere out in the world, shovel in hand and compost in the other, is Atheist McSniveltree. Ensuring that no tree shall ever go without nutrition.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19297 on: October 08, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »

Not really sure why anyone thinks anyone’s model of the world deserves reverence. It is not always easy, but I like my minds the way I like my operating system: more bazaar than cathedral.

inb4 “bazaar/bizzare” puns

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19298 on: October 08, 2012, 07:38:31 pm »

Every idea and opinion deserves scrutiny, but also a measure of respect. Mocking never proves anything except being an asshole.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19299 on: October 08, 2012, 07:47:09 pm »

Not sure I agree. First, I don’t think that mocking people and mocking ideas are the same thing. There is a difference between “belief X is stupid,” and “believers of X are stupid.” Second, while mockery in a personal setting may be the wrong thing to do, I think that satire has a place in public discourse, especially when a particular belief has enjoyed far too much reverence for far too much time.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19300 on: October 08, 2012, 07:55:40 pm »

Well it depends how closely one associates or identifies with the idea. If you mock <insert my favorite cartoon here> I'd raise an eyebrow and think you an ass. Multiply that a hundred fold for something I cared much more about. When you get ideas that people identify with to the point where they consider it a very important part of their lives, there's no avoiding insulting both the idea and them at the same time.

As for satire, it's good for a laugh, but that's about it. It's hyperbole. It's misrepresentation. Except when it isn't misrepresentation, in which case I ask why you'd need the irony in the first place, because you could just point at reality instead :P

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19301 on: October 08, 2012, 08:11:16 pm »

There is a difference between mocking “I like MLP,” something you can’t do jack about anyway and for which there is no right answer, and things like “Homeopathy works,” a belief that can be updated and has a right answer.

I’ll certainly agree that it should never be done in person, but, otherwise, I don’t feel the same way.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19302 on: October 08, 2012, 08:20:49 pm »

Just because I'm curious:

What does it matter if it's in person or not? The disconnect doesn't change what you're saying nor who you're saying it to.

Note that I have no real personal investment in this (you'd have to look long and hard to find an idea to insult that actually offended me to any significant degree). I'm just sayin' that mature, intelligent discourse is the ideal, and sinking below that only undermines arguments and risks unnecessary offense/drama (though I am of course ignoring the concept of popular/audience opinion, which is easily swayed with less-than-solid arguments and is an important factor in real life).

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #19303 on: October 08, 2012, 08:27:52 pm »

http://features.peta.org/pokemon-black-and-white-parody/

Peta creates a pokemon liberation video game to protest the abuse of pokemon.

New pokemon attacks include the group hug and protest.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2012/10/08/peta-pokemon-animal-abuse/

I shit you not. This is real.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19304 on: October 08, 2012, 08:29:10 pm »

Dude, you're way behind the times if you didn't know PETA put out satirical video games. They do all the time. I know of at least a Mario one (saving chickens from KFC) and a cooking mama one (goriest cooking game I've ever played).
Pages: 1 ... 1285 1286 [1287] 1288 1289 ... 11040