Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474579 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #18405 on: October 02, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »

Philosophy is the study of knowledge. That encompasses most everything.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18406 on: October 02, 2012, 12:42:37 pm »

It's the study of a few things, actually. You're thinking of epistemology there, mostly :P

Which is actually the study of belief, of which knowledge is a particular subset, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #18407 on: October 02, 2012, 12:43:18 pm »

I was mostly just answering a not question overelaborately.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18408 on: October 02, 2012, 12:43:29 pm »

Bah, it's been years since phil 101 and I never took anything further. I forget some specifics :P
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18409 on: October 02, 2012, 12:44:49 pm »

AUGH WHY IS THE STARTROPICS THEME IN MY HEAD!? I HAVEN'T PLAYED THAT GAME IN YEARS!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18410 on: October 02, 2012, 12:45:17 pm »

This clearly encapsulates every single thing I hate about philosophy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18411 on: October 02, 2012, 12:47:17 pm »

AUGH WHY IS THE STARTROPICS THEME IN MY HEAD!? I HAVEN'T PLAYED THAT GAME IN YEARS!

Quickly, deploy other VGM to get it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyoMQg3d5cs

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18412 on: October 02, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »

Old memories never die. They just sit in your brain, waiting to pop up or drive you into dementia...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18413 on: October 02, 2012, 12:49:02 pm »

This clearly encapsulates every single thing I hate about philosophy.
Well too bad. You're stuck with it :) All the basics of science, politics, religion, etc etc etc started out with some philosopher dude writing down logic and theory.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #18414 on: October 02, 2012, 12:55:06 pm »

Yeah, in the xkcd "fields by purity" thing, the philosopher is so far to the right he's off the screen.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18415 on: October 02, 2012, 12:57:55 pm »

Yeah, in the xkcd "fields by purity" thing, the philosopher is so far to the right he's off the screen.
But... but...
maths  :(
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18416 on: October 02, 2012, 12:59:19 pm »

It's fair to note that, for most people in most situations, they can mostly just assume a generally accepted axiomatic base (science, engineering, psychology, mathematics, whatever) as untroubling and move on to well-meaning ethical functioning within the system -- GG's "mechanical instead of conceptual", which is just saying you've got a sufficiently functioning system, at least for the situation in question, and you want to know proper action toward a goal within that system (i.e. ethics).

You can't escape philosophy, no, but for a lot of modern stuff a great deal of the work's already been done and practical ethicists (like an engineer!) can get a lot done without really paying attention to the system's axiomatic base slash philosophical foundation. So some avoidance of the subject by folks that are getting what they need from a particular system is understandable, I suppose ♫
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18417 on: October 02, 2012, 01:04:04 pm »

IIRC, it's generally accepted that "math" and "logic"* are two separate tools humans use to understand the world. Neither is based on the other. So in terms of "purity," math and logic are on the same level, and higher levels of philosophy would be akin to physics or whatever (they kinda converge, as science is based on both logic and math in many cases).

(logic being in this case, if A = B, and B = C, A = C, whereas math is strictly numbers)

It's fair to note that, for most people in most situations, they can mostly just assume a generally accepted axiomatic base (science, engineering, psychology, mathematics, whatever) as untroubling and move on to well-meaning ethical functioning within the system -- GG's "mechanical instead of conceptual", which is just saying you've got a sufficiently functioning system, at least for the situation in question, and you want to know proper action toward a goal within that system (i.e. ethics).

You can't escape philosophy, no, but for a lot of modern stuff a great deal of the work's already been done and practical ethicists (like an engineer!) can get a lot done without really paying attention to the system's axiomatic base slash philosophical foundation. So some avoidance of the subject by folks that are getting what they need from a particular system is understandable, I suppose ♫
I suppose I'd say it's the difference between knowing how to drive a car and how to make one. Knowing how to drive is sufficient for most people, but if you want to get into specifics about what makes one car better than the other, you'll need more intimate knowledge. Similar with those abstract concepts and their philosophical foundation.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18418 on: October 02, 2012, 01:31:44 pm »

Counting to one is not well defined. Or more precise, "Counting to x" isn't well defined. It basically says iterating until the number one but you don't specify from where, over what elements nor in what order.
We know where dealing with numbers, but what numbers? ℕ, ℤ, ℤ+, ℚ, ℝ, ℂ (or even ℍ)? Merely saying "count to x" means I can take any path that leads to x in, say, the complex plane (or quaternion space). For example, let's say we have the set A ⊆ ℂ and let A = {-1, 1, 3.14, π, 1+i}. "Count to one" says I can choose any path in A that ends in 1. That could e.g. be 3.14, π, 1+i, -1, 1.

If you specify order, then you can throw out complex numbers and quaternions as they're not an ordered set. What we're left with are the reals and with them you can specify two directions, but you will still have infinite paths. But let's say you go in an increasing order. Great, one direction, but still infinite paths. For the sake of practicality, you limit yourself to the integers, ℤ. Still infinite paths since the lower boundary is not determined yet. For whatever reason, say simplicity or design, the lower boundary is set to 1, implying further restricting us to ℕ. Thus we have a definition on "Count to x":

First, define the well ordered set A = {∀y | ∃x ∧ x,y∈ℕ ∧ 1 ≤ y ≤ x}, ordered in increasing order from left to right. (Example, A = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} for x = 6)
"Count to x", call it a function C(x), is then defined as iterating through each element in set A from left to right where x is the upper limit as shown in the set's definition with the same restraints.

Now we get to the question. What about C(1). Based on the definition above, you have A = {1}. You iterate through it. What do you get? 1. That's it.

If you still want to argue about "to", how about this compromise:

Every set contains the empty set (including the empty set itself!). Lists are sets, in mathematics, computer science and everyday life. Thus A = {Ø, 1}.
Counting to 1: Ø, 1.

But that's just me. :P
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18419 on: October 02, 2012, 01:35:00 pm »

My eyes have been glazing over because of this forum far too frequently lately.

Quick, someone make a DF joke!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 11037