Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460072 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #16155 on: September 11, 2012, 10:15:40 am »

You must be capable of willful ignorance, otherwise you would have dropped your entire everything to go around the world and try to learn everything. Ever. If you ARE doing that, that's pretty impressive.

But I expect not.
By Kaijyuus definition, that is not true.
For instance, I hate it when people eat meat, but don't want to know where it comes from. Even though they know damn well that lambs are cute little animals and one of em was butchered and bled to death just so you could have meat on your plate (I am not a vegetarian, btw, I actually imagine the lamb while I eat it).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16156 on: September 11, 2012, 10:17:08 am »

I am a vegetarian, for pretty much that very reason :P

And if you don't actively avoid any knowledge, Siquo, then good for you! That's a respectable thing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16157 on: September 11, 2012, 10:23:01 am »

I know damn well where meat comes from. I know the entire process of killing and gutting pigs and chickens.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16158 on: September 11, 2012, 10:25:32 am »

I dunno, it seems a lot easier, I guess. Found out last week I'm probably a full-blown Asperger after all, and feel like everything I thought was normal or "the way it should be" is now upside-down. It's a good thing I finally found out (and apologies to all other Aspy ppl I insulted), but I'm still confused.

I know damn well where meat comes from. I know the entire process of killing and gutting pigs and chickens.
Good for you. I was refering more to people who dislike faces on their meats, or only eat ground meat so you can't tell it used to be a living thing.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16159 on: September 11, 2012, 10:29:23 am »

You must be capable of willful ignorance, otherwise you would have dropped your entire everything to go around the world and try to learn everything. Ever. If you ARE doing that, that's pretty impressive.

But I expect not.
By Kaijyuus definition, that is not true.
For instance, I hate it when people eat meat, but don't want to know where it comes from. Even though they know damn well that lambs are cute little animals and one of em was butchered and bled to death just so you could have meat on your plate (I am not a vegetarian, btw, I actually imagine the lamb while I eat it).

Oh, I think I kind of misread that post the first time around. Disregard what I said.

And I'm pretty sure that most people don't willfully abstain from knowing how the meat is procured, they're just a bit dim. Or really dim. I mostly get UK news sources when I look for this stuff because Google decides to show them to me first I guess, but here's something where a bunch of people didn't know a load of stuff about food. Not because they didn't want to know, just because they didn't care enough about knowing some basic facts.

Edit: Oh god my mum is so bad for doing that. She'll say that she won't eat X meat because there was a documentary about the farm that rears the animal that provides that particular meat, then she'll forget about it in a couple of weeks and go right back to eating it. Even though it's not as if some sort of meat fairy produces all of our meat and only lets it happen through butchery for the cameras.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:31:12 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16160 on: September 11, 2012, 10:30:18 am »

That's why I never understood the moral stance of vegetarians. I understand that some people don't eat meat because they find it disgusting or their body can't digest it right or their religion forbids them. But the reason they don't eat them because meat used to be living things? That line of thinking is WTF for me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16161 on: September 11, 2012, 10:31:36 am »

Empathy toward non-humans is WTF to you?

I guess you never had any pets.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16162 on: September 11, 2012, 10:35:05 am »

I understand empathy towards pets. Those animals are something you cared for, raised and loved like your own family.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16163 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:27 am »

And is it really much of a stretch to apply that to everything similarly capable?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16164 on: September 11, 2012, 10:38:04 am »

I think he's trying to point more in the 'I have no idea what the animals were like or anything about them besides that they are dead and maybe their location as well, what is there to emphasize with?' way of thinking.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16165 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:28 am »

Sort of like a monkey sphere excuse?

Yeah I don't accept that as a reason to not have empathy for humans either. Doesn't matter if you've personally met them or not.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16166 on: September 11, 2012, 10:43:49 am »

Yup, I'm using the monkey sphere excuse. I can't be bothered to care about one chicken out of a dozen who I may never see after six months.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16167 on: September 11, 2012, 10:48:08 am »

* kaijyuu shrugs

Okie dokie. But yeah, that's the logic behind people not liking to kill animals because they taste good. If you don't agree, then sure whatever (I'm not PETA and I'm not going to burn down your house), but I don't think the logic is exactly alien.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16168 on: September 11, 2012, 11:00:06 am »

Oh well, back to WTFs then.

And I'm pretty sure that most people don't willfully abstain from knowing how the meat is procured, they're just a bit dim. Or really dim. I mostly get UK news sources when I look for this stuff because Google decides to show them to me first I guess, but here's something where a bunch of people didn't know a load of stuff about food. Not because they didn't want to know, just because they didn't care enough about knowing some basic facts.

Edit: Oh god my mum is so bad for doing that. She'll say that she won't eat X meat because there was a documentary about the farm that rears the animal that provides that particular meat, then she'll forget about it in a couple of weeks and go right back to eating it. Even though it's not as if some sort of meat fairy produces all of our meat and only lets it happen through butchery for the cameras.

This. We're I grew up, our grocery store has a big diagram of cows and pigs that shows the location of various meat cuts and what it's called.

The only food stuff I don't know is mayonnaise. It apparently comes from egg yolks and is dyed white for some reason.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16169 on: September 11, 2012, 11:03:05 am »

What about veggies like me who have no problem with eating dead flesh, but DO have a problem with attempted abrogation of moral responsibility? I assume that's ok?

If you purchased and ate it, you killed it. Worse yet, you killed it through another party. IF a person is capable of killing and preparing a class of creature themselves, or at least prepared to do so, I have no real problem with them eating that creature - my morals in that regard are personal, as I don't think I could except in a survival situation. But if they couldn't, because their personal morals wouldn't let them, because they can't "bring themselves to do it" for whatever reason, I find it both sickening and reprehensible to pay someone else to do it for them.

My WTF for the day:
Apparently tapeworm larva can get in your brain and give you a bad case of brainworm. It can cause migraine, epilepsy, paralysis and death!
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 11040