Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14480237 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #15690 on: September 06, 2012, 09:44:55 am »

My WTF moment of the day came when I found myself enjoying the level of abstraction in coding assembly after spending the latter part of the last course coding straight up binary instructions. Really brain, assembly is pleasant? The fuck is wrong with you!
Well, everything ends up in some form of assembly eventually if I remember right, so its just skipping the first part.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:18 am »

Man, my whole Microprocessors course used Assembly and machine code. Low-level languages like that are actually pretty great. You don't need to compile them because your 1's and 0's are directly affecting the chips. Not to mention that it was really fun to dictate to a microphone when writing it. (The microphones in the computer lab are notoriously insensitive, so whenever anyone dictates anything they have to shout.)

"A! C! C! A!"
ONE! ONE! ZERO! ONE!" (13)
"ONE! ZERO! ZERO! ZERO! ONE! ZERO! ONE! ONE ONE!" (279)
"A! D! C! A!"
(turns off microphone)
"WOOHOO! 292!"

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: September 06, 2012, 11:10:02 am »

Man, my whole Microprocessors course used Assembly and machine code. Low-level languages like that are actually pretty great. You don't need to compile them because your 1's and 0's are directly affecting the chips. Not to mention that it was really fun to dictate to a microphone when writing it. (The microphones in the computer lab are notoriously insensitive, so whenever anyone dictates anything they have to shout.)

"A! C! C! A!"
ONE! ONE! ZERO! ONE!" (13)
"ONE! ZERO! ZERO! ZERO! ONE! ZERO! ONE! ONE ONE!" (279)
"A! D! C! A!"
(turns off microphone)
"WOOHOO! 292!"

Heh when me and my lab partners were making the final tests for the MIPS we had designed we noticed it was just easier to remember where we were in the code if we spoke it out loud. Must have been interesting to listen to us blathering out 32 bit instructions in ones and zeros as we were inserting them into the simulators instruction memory. Then we came upon the eureka moment that you could just use hex to write numbers in Xilinx instead of actually writing 16 bit long immediate fields :p

But yeah, assembly is a hell of a lot easier to keep track of than what we did before. "addiu $t1, $t1, 5" versus 00100101001010010000000000000101 ($t1 is register 9 in this architecture).

EDIT: The person who thought of using $ signs should be shot though... it requires the damn alt key to be typed (atleast on swedish keyboards.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:13:03 am by Aptus »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: September 06, 2012, 11:11:19 am »

* kaijyuu quite likes assembly

Literally nothing gives you more control.

Though seriously, you coded in binary? Ugh. Memorizing opcodes isn't something I ever had to do, thank Cod.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: September 06, 2012, 11:15:42 am »

Though seriously, you coded in binary? Ugh. Memorizing opcodes isn't something I ever had to do, thank Cod.

Yup, no big things ofcourse, just tests to see if our MIPS could do everything it was supposed to be able to. ALU operations, branching etc. Still got a bit cross eyed some times when trying to look at it after a toilet break.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #15695 on: September 06, 2012, 11:16:16 am »

Yep, I programmed a few basic motorola chips that way. Luckily I wrote myself a handbook for opcodes as I learned them, so it wasn't too bad after a while. Just tedious.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15696 on: September 06, 2012, 12:11:27 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt's spine is severely compacted.
And now we know.
I'd say this makes some sense, but I forgot what sense it had when my mind merged the concept of MSH and MZ into one continuum...

Just had my first full-blown sleep-deprivation induced hallucination, after only 18 hours awake no less. I'm staring at the wall when a large brown rectangle skuttles across it, stops for a moment in front of me and then walks off.

I'm not sure what, if anything, this says about me.
I do remember my hatred of flies manifesting after 19 hours of exhaustion as little day-dream flies. I was almost too exhausted to hate them.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: September 06, 2012, 12:14:25 pm »

Raspberry Pi production moves to Wales from China

This place is like five minutes away from my house.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: September 06, 2012, 12:38:03 pm »

Just had my first full-blown sleep-deprivation induced hallucination, after only 18 hours awake no less. I'm staring at the wall when a large brown rectangle skuttles across it, stops for a moment in front of me and then walks off.

I'm not sure what, if anything, this says about me.
I do remember my hatred of flies manifesting after 19 hours of exhaustion as little day-dream flies. I was almost too exhausted to hate them.

That also happens if you do bath salts for too long. You feel like, and I quote my tweaker friend, "Like little flies are tied to my face." I've never done meth, so I can't vouch for it, but after doing bath salts for long enough, you get wierd little visual distortions and a strange tickle in your face, that yes, feels like there are flies on little tethers on your face.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #15699 on: September 06, 2012, 01:44:56 pm »

That also happens if you do bath salts for too long. You feel like, and I quote my tweaker friend, "Like little flies are tied to my face." I've never done meth, so I can't vouch for it, but after doing bath salts for long enough, you get wierd little visual distortions and a strange tickle in your face, that yes, feels like there are flies on little tethers on your face.
I think I'm going to take up the wearing of a hockey mask around you from now on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: September 06, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »

I'm not sure how you should feel when China starts outsourcing to you.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: September 06, 2012, 01:53:53 pm »

I'm not sure how you should feel when China starts outsourcing to you.
They aren't in a outsourcing chain, they just moved back to the UK for 300k Pi's of time.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: September 06, 2012, 02:02:02 pm »

I think I'm going to take up the wearing of a hockey mask around you from now on.
You don't want Hans to eat your face?

Edit: Hopy fuck, I just passed Janet and The Toady One in post count. How am I supposed to feel about that?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:12:53 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: September 06, 2012, 02:16:55 pm »

Accomplished?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: September 06, 2012, 02:52:51 pm »

I'm apparently at #8 for posts.

How am I supposed to feel about that?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 11037