Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14482093 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #15645 on: September 05, 2012, 09:19:52 pm »

There are many recorded cases of people with a third set of teeth that usually emerges in old age, and one recorded case of a woman who grew a full four sets of teeth over her lifetime.

That actually sounds like a useful adaptation.
Indeed, but using stem cells to artificially grow tooth buds will obsolete any advantages of it in a couple of decades at the most. Actually, it'll obsolete most of dentistry. There's no need to drill and fill a damaged tooth when you can just implant a tooth bud that'll push the damaged one out in a couple of months.
somehow this sounds more painful than a professional gingivitis clean

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15646 on: September 05, 2012, 09:25:16 pm »

It's only painful if they do it wrong. I've learned that this applies to a lot of medical things. For example, when I got my childhood injections they were from younger nurses, and it was fucking agony that gave me a fear of needles. No idea of how to find a vein. I got re-innoculated against some things recently by an older nurse. I didn't even realize she had done it until afterwards.

Same with dentistry. My current dentist's procedures are not painful at any stage, and even coming close to that will get you more anesthetic. He apparently considers it a contractual obligation to not cause his patients pain. I really don't know how he pulls it off.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15647 on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:30 pm »

Well, getting a tooth bud implanted is almost certainly going to require the old one getting pulled, and there's no way in hell that won't hurt.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15648 on: September 05, 2012, 09:29:43 pm »

It's only painful if they do it wrong. I've learned that this applies to a lot of medical things. For example, when I got my childhood injections they were from younger nurses, and it was fucking agony that gave me a fear of needles. No idea of how to find a vein. I got re-innoculated against some things recently by an older nurse. I didn't even realize she had done it until afterwards.

Same with dentistry. My current dentist's procedures are not painful at any stage, and even coming close to that will get you more anesthetic. He apparently considers it a contractual obligation to not cause his patients pain. I really don't know how he pulls it off.
Dude dental shots are fricking amazing. It feels like a little poke and i can sit there without freaking out. And for regular shots i don't let anyone except a experienced nurse or a doctor to administer those else ill walk out. For IV though.... you're gonna have to chase me down and knock me out before you stick that in me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15649 on: September 05, 2012, 09:33:02 pm »

Well, getting a tooth bud implanted is almost certainly going to require the old one getting pulled, and there's no way in hell that won't hurt.
You haven't met my dentist. He can do root canals without causing pain. I've not been under the knife for that in particular, but my mother has more than once and she swears by his abilities. I myself had five cavities filled by him in one session. It's honestly like magic. I fear the day that man retires from dentistry. Seriously, he has an entire wall of awards from the American Dental Association, various colleges, and a myriad of other places. He has an award for teaching dental hypnosis. I didn't even know that was a thing.

But also, it doesn't require pulling the old tooth, at least not in theory. The tooth bud can be injected below your gum line where tooth buds normally reside, and it'll develop into a full tooth on its own, pushing out the old one as it emerges.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15650 on: September 05, 2012, 09:57:42 pm »

Haha, sounds like you're just young to me. My reaction to the first girl telling me she liked me? I ran away terrified.

If you don't like her that way, you have no obligation to date her. So don't feel too bad.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15651 on: September 05, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »

Sorry to splash drama on yon boards again, but I've never been in a relationship before and I think I just friendzoned this girl that I've known for ten days. Of course, her self-esteem is already pretty low, so I'm sure that can't help much, nor have I ever had so much as a wink from anyone all through regular schooling, and now here's college and things are suddenly different. I understand I've an obligation to myself and my preferences first, but... Dang. I rather wish I was making this stuff up, it'd be less confusing for me. Marching band does strange things to people.

I'll try not to lavish too much of my social confusions on you guys, but I'm treading uncharted waters here and it's all looking pretty murky.
Dude, it's simple. You're allowed to be direct. Just preface it with, "Maybe I'm being stupid, but..." then ask if she likes you. If she laughs at you, or wrinkles up her nose, just say something about her being out of your league anyway. You've ingratiated yourself to her, and planted the seed for her potentially liking you. If she sheepishly admits it, you've won the game.

Haha, sounds like you're just young to me. My reaction to the first girl telling me she liked me? I ran away terrified.
What about the first boy? :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15652 on: September 05, 2012, 10:01:18 pm »

Let's find out.

Kai, I like you.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15653 on: September 05, 2012, 10:01:55 pm »

AHHHHHHH

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15654 on: September 05, 2012, 10:02:26 pm »

Hey Kaijyuuuuu~~~

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15655 on: September 05, 2012, 10:03:14 pm »

HANDS OFF HES IN MY STATE

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15656 on: September 05, 2012, 10:03:42 pm »

Abort, Abort!

MetalSlimeHunt picks up Kaijyuu and throws him into the escape pod!
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15657 on: September 05, 2012, 10:04:24 pm »

That's my fetish.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15658 on: September 05, 2012, 10:05:13 pm »

Abort, Abort!

That's my fetish.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15659 on: September 05, 2012, 10:05:25 pm »

Abort, Abort!

Phew! Thanks!

Wait a second... you too?!
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 11037