Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494108 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #15075 on: August 31, 2012, 08:10:34 am »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #15076 on: August 31, 2012, 08:20:15 am »

This book called Entropy by Jeremy something was assigned as chemistry reading book.

The various WTFs I had:

@ Entropy is physics. Why'd they assign it as chemistry
@ Entropy(book) is not a science book, but a sociology/anti-civilization book.
@ Author is somehow connecting the second law of thermodynamics (Entropy always increases) to unemployment, inflation, the various unrests around the world, and chaos in general.
@ Apparently the second law of thermodynamics is the BEST LAW EVER because, referencing Einstein, the best science laws are those that have the widest application range.
@ Also, said author savagely criticizes Newton's laws of motion and the idea of "progress". Never mind the fact that Newton's motion laws also apply to everything.
@ The Greeks are better than us as knowing entropy.
@ We should all lie down and die since us living is accelerating entropy, creating islands of law at the cost of incubating moar chaos. And increased entropy equals less time for the world.
@ Apparently we humans are special, because somehow we can evolve from a colonization species (eg, lichen) to a climax species (eg, trees).
@ Entropy is specifically in an enclosed environment. He repeatedly switches between saying Earth is basically a closed system in the Universe, then claiming everything we do increases entropy, then acknowledges that the Sun provides energy, then says, well, the entire Universe's entropy increases anyways, then asserts the Sun is infinite, then.... Yup, quite confusing.
@

I seriously wonder if this guy really studied science. He's mangling a ton of simple science facts every highschooler probably should know. Either that, or he's twisting the facts to make his thesis sound better. However, removing his horrid attempt to marry ENTROPY with his thoughts, he does make a bunch of valid observations. The more advanced we get, the more energy we spend to get even more energy to do stuff. =_= Still, this book is rather stupefying.

Entropy's a magic word folks! It's the root of all evil. Also, Jeremy says we should all fall over and cease to exist since we're increasing entropy.

Never mind the fact that all atoms in the world make much more entropy than we ever do.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15077 on: August 31, 2012, 08:46:48 am »

@ Entropy is physics. Why'd they assign it as chemistry

Entropy is very important in chemistry too; it's a major factor in the spontaneity of a reaction.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: August 31, 2012, 09:12:50 am »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: August 31, 2012, 09:52:33 am »

If movement is energy, and moving causes you to lose energy, and every bit of matter only has a set amount of energy, why doesn't light slow down over distance?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15080 on: August 31, 2012, 09:58:15 am »

moving causes you to lose energy
This part is false.

And if light lost energy as it moved (which is impossible without hitting something), it'd just get a longer wavelength. Light's speed is infinite from its perspective, and infinity divided by anything is still infinity. Relativity is why it has a finite speed from our perspective.

Also also light isn't comprised of matter. It's a tiny electric and magnetic field propagating itself across the universe. Closest thing to "pure energy" we have.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:59:47 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #15081 on: August 31, 2012, 10:13:38 am »

That reminds me of how a friend of mine discovered entropy and wouldn't stop connecting it to every damn little thing for a few months. He even made a few of the sillier observations from that book... maybe that's the one he read.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15082 on: August 31, 2012, 04:00:32 pm »

Why is Minnie mouse tall?
Why does Daisy Duck have breasts?!
And why is Goofy a fucking hipster?!

I just don't get how you can fuck up classic cartoons this badly.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15083 on: August 31, 2012, 04:01:53 pm »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: August 31, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »

Why is Minnie mouse tall?
Why does Daisy Duck have breasts?!
And why is Goofy a fucking hipster?!

I just don't get how you can fuck up classic cartoons this badly.
What. The. Fuck?

Did Disney hire Rob Liefeld?!?? Even if you were morphing Disney characters to look more anthropomorphic, bodies don't look like that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: August 31, 2012, 04:09:35 pm »

I think they're trying to advertise to those walking leaf creatures from Pikmin 2.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #15087 on: August 31, 2012, 05:04:24 pm »

WTF1: there exists such a thing as the Global Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve.

WTF2:  someone has stolen it.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/08/31/1817242/police-probing-theft-of-millions-of-pounds-of-maple-syrup-from-strategic-reserve
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #15088 on: August 31, 2012, 05:07:16 pm »

???

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: August 31, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT THE SYRUP!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 11037