Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488627 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #14580 on: August 24, 2012, 05:40:13 pm »

I'm far too lazy for image spam.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14581 on: August 24, 2012, 05:42:06 pm »

People in countries with socialized healthcare should really try to be a little bit responsible and not go to the ER for stupid things, but in countries WITHOUT socialized healthcare this passes from "should" to "must": a vague  "cough" which has stuck around without change for six years  could be anything or nothing at all. If you insist on running the gauntlet you'll likely undergo a few relatively expensive tests at the very least, and chances are you would end up with some unspecific diagnosis at best.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14582 on: August 24, 2012, 05:45:34 pm »

This is definitely just page 600.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14583 on: August 24, 2012, 05:47:38 pm »

Au contraire, I hope people visit the doctor for little things more often. Big things start out as little things, after all. Plus regular checkups (as in, every other month regular) drastically increase your life expectancy by years.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #14584 on: August 24, 2012, 05:57:02 pm »

People in countries with socialized healthcare should really try to be a little bit responsible and not go to the ER for stupid things, but in countries WITHOUT socialized healthcare this passes from "should" to "must": a vague  "cough" which has stuck around without change for six years  could be anything or nothing at all. If you insist on running the gauntlet you'll likely undergo a few relatively expensive tests at the very least, and chances are you would end up with some unspecific diagnosis at best.

Sadly most health facilities in the U. S. A. have no E. R. or have a small/poorly funded one because they aren't profitable, leading to wait times similar to that of countries in which you can go to the doctor for anything and not have to pay. I have to agree with Kaijyuu on this one. Regular screening for cancer through pap smears, mammograms, prostate exams and other such tests have drastically increased the survival rate for many cancers.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14585 on: August 24, 2012, 06:06:30 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14586 on: August 24, 2012, 06:09:36 pm »

Someone can still grab post 15000. It is also a meaningless milestone and no one can dispute it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14587 on: August 24, 2012, 06:13:10 pm »

Au contraire, I hope people visit the doctor for little things more often. Big things start out as little things, after all. Plus regular checkups (as in, every other month regular) drastically increase your life expectancy by years.
Checkups are good. Going to the Emergency Room for a cough just costs you more money and strains the system.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14588 on: August 24, 2012, 06:17:24 pm »

True 'dat.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14589 on: August 24, 2012, 06:19:21 pm »

Checkups are good. Going to the Emergency Room for a cough just costs you more money and strains the system.

And if you use antibiotics for every little thing you help create antibiotics resistant TB.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14590 on: August 24, 2012, 06:24:00 pm »

Antibiotic immune TB now, actually. It's only in India right now, but being that we can't treat it it'll probably spread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14591 on: August 24, 2012, 06:27:11 pm »

Antibiotics can make one sick actually, as it clears out all the non-harmful crap in your system and leaves room for new stuff to take up residence (which could include things that cause disease). Anti-biotic resistant stuff is a much smaller possibility but still there.

I wouldn't be too worried about the antibiotic resistant strains, and our knowledge and techniques to combat them can evolve faster than they can. Doesn't help those that get sick and possibly die from new strains of course, though.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14592 on: August 24, 2012, 06:31:49 pm »

My Calculus teacher absolutely refused to allow people to use Germ-X or similar antibiotics in her classroom. When asked why, she never had another request to use the stuff there again.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #14594 on: August 24, 2012, 06:44:48 pm »

My ecology professor was actually talking about the problems with antimicrobials recently. He brought to my attention that Triclosan, a common microbial in hand soaps, is not only a toxin in of itself (of course, it kills microbes) but also breaks down into dioxin in the waterways that our water runs into.

Screw being worried about resistant diseases, we're actively lacing our water supply with one of the worst known carcinogen/teratogens. Granted we're not going to stop, so I guess we just sit here and play with ourselves or something. =/
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 11037