Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481226 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #14340 on: August 21, 2012, 02:57:35 pm »

Oh, expensive books.

This is a book vent, not a WTF, but in any case, I really wish someone would man up and put out a tome that was a nice decent synchronic and diachronic survey of Tocharian (A & B, and what little of C we have) that's in English, that I can put on my bookshelf, and that doesn't cost through the nose.
That's a pretty specific request. Also, an awesome one.

I should probably note that I'm one of those amateur linguists who just graduated high school and knows the subject at grad level (this has been confirmed by numerous profs). My personal linguistics library is 10 feet end to end, contains academic grammars and dictionaries on such oddities as Aleut, Middle Egyptian, Yup'ik, and Old Irish (FUCK YEAH OLD IRISH), and... well, take a look at this actual quote I had in Skyping with a friend:

Quote from: Me in pretentious earnest
I'll disclaim that I know the most about Old Irish, Latin and Greek.
I know some about Sanskrit, Hittite, and the dead Germanic languages
(except old high german)
but my knowledge of Old Church Slavonic, the minor Anatolian languages, the dead Italic languages besides Latin (ie Oscan, Umbrian and Faliscan), Tocharian, Old Persian/Avestan/Dardic, Armenian, Albanian and the Baltic languages is woefully shoddy

Note that by "knowledge" I meant knowing about those languages; I can read some Latin and Greek, but that's it (and even those are rustier than they have been). I can't read a word of Old Irish, but I can sit down with a piece of paper and pencil and give a quick run-through of the Eldritch abomination that is its verbal system.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:00:31 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14341 on: August 21, 2012, 03:03:11 pm »

Youse and I'se should conlang sometime. (Which reminds me, I should get off my duff and finish that DF writing system I was working on in Creative Projects...)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14342 on: August 21, 2012, 03:05:57 pm »

My sister's friend threw the family cat at me. I caught it by the neck. It happened completely out of the blue. Why are people throwing animals at me?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14343 on: August 21, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

Poor kitty.

And poor you if that cat has claws.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14344 on: August 21, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »

My sister's friend threw the family cat at me. I caught it by the neck. It happened completely out of the blue. Why are people throwing animals at me?
Because you are a vibrating penguin.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14345 on: August 21, 2012, 03:11:16 pm »

Poor kitty.

And poor you if that cat has claws.

It did. My hand still stings a bit.

Because you are a vibrating penguin.

* Vorthon facepalms

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #14346 on: August 21, 2012, 03:12:19 pm »

Who wants to hear about the Old Irish verbal system? It's a pretty big WTF.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14347 on: August 21, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »

The flying cat strikes Vorthon in the palm, bruising the skin!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14348 on: August 21, 2012, 03:21:20 pm »

Try more like tearing the skin. Ouch. At least it's gone from a stinging pain to more of a dull burning sensation now.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #14349 on: August 21, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »

Try more like tearing the skin. Ouch. At least it's gone from a stinging pain to more of a dull burning sensation now.

People heal, that cats pride is damaged forever.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14350 on: August 21, 2012, 03:27:38 pm »

Who wants to hear about the Old Irish verbal system? It's a pretty big WTF.
`
Speak weird linguist.

insert comma to suit
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14351 on: August 21, 2012, 03:32:02 pm »

http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/sagawa-issei.htm

WTF 1: The guy listed.
WTF 2: There's a wiki for murders.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14352 on: August 21, 2012, 03:33:13 pm »

My cousin threw a cat at me once when we were young. In her defense, she was like 5 and it was more of a "Here'smyfavoritekittyilovehimsomuchwannaholdhim?" *FLING*

Said cat was like 13 damn pounds. And just as shocked as I was. Latched a paw into each shoulder and two more into my ribs. I'm sure if there had been video, it would be a meme by now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14354 on: August 21, 2012, 03:38:26 pm »

http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/sagawa-issei.htm

WTF 1: The guy listed.
WTF 2: There's a wiki for murders.
And now Japan has hit a whole new level of WTF?! for me. Not only is this dude walking around free after checking himself out of a mental institution (having been found "sane but evil"), he's a celebrity with books, TV appearances, and even appeared in a movie!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 11037