Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14426425 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #13515 on: August 08, 2012, 02:27:40 pm »

It could be considered indecent exposure.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13516 on: August 08, 2012, 02:48:08 pm »

It could be considered indecent exposure.
Wouldn't that only be if they're sagging so low they're basically around your ankles? Not really sure what the criteria for "indecent exposure" is.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13517 on: August 08, 2012, 02:50:05 pm »

I'd think sagging pants would be more modest. After all, there's no chance of them showing off your shapely ankles!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13518 on: August 08, 2012, 03:21:56 pm »

So are they banning anything that would potentially cause an employer to not hire you? Or just things them damn black people wear?

Because I feel like there should be a shutter shades amendment if they're really taking the intent of this law seriously.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13519 on: August 08, 2012, 03:29:22 pm »

I'd think sagging pants would be more modest. After all, there's no chance of them showing off your shapely ankles!
My ankles bring all the boys to the yard. Which is kinda awkward, cause that means they're probably foot fetishists.  ???

I don't buy the "this is oppressing black people!" argument. I've seen plenty of white douchebags dress this way too. I think they're banning it because it's so pervasive in their city (which is over 50% black, but correlation != causation). Like I said, I'm not sure what I think of this. You can't pass laws against being a dumbass. But when you have so many dumbasses that it's actually impacting the entire economy of your town...I dunno. The social Darwinist argument would say that if Jackson, MS just decays into utter disrepair because none of its young men have the sense to spiff up for a job interview, then it deserves what it gets.

I guess my counterargument is what's next if they went the other way? A law forbidding discrimination based on personal attire? Cause you could make the case that they're just racists and using the baggy pants thing as a shibboleth, but I'd wager that given the demographics of Jackson, a fair number of the business owners doing this are themselves African-American.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13520 on: August 08, 2012, 03:34:30 pm »

If it's not a race thing, it's definitely a class thing.

And I really don't think "white people do it" is a good argument against it being a race thing, since it's still something that's very strongly associated with black ghetto culture. When talking about racism, it's only the stereotypes that matter since racists only think in stereotypes.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13521 on: August 08, 2012, 04:17:49 pm »

Oh, now you are just stereotyping racists!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13522 on: August 08, 2012, 04:26:02 pm »

Lots of people seem to do that, really. We're prejudiced against prejudiced people! Which means we're prejudiced against ourselves because ourselves are prejudiced about ourselves for hating ourselves for being prejudiced against prejudiced people, who are prejudiced against us!
Hello Hunam

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13523 on: August 08, 2012, 04:28:06 pm »

Some stereotyping is kinda funny.
You know.. Like when Scandinavians stereotype other Scandinavians.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13524 on: August 08, 2012, 04:30:56 pm »

Lots of people seem to do that, really. We're prejudiced against prejudiced people! Which means we're prejudiced against ourselves because ourselves are prejudiced about ourselves for hating ourselves for being prejudiced against prejudiced people, who are prejudiced against us!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13525 on: August 08, 2012, 04:31:40 pm »

Hahah! I... don't get it.
Hello Hunam

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13526 on: August 08, 2012, 04:33:55 pm »

Lots of people seem to do that, really. We're juice against juice people! Which means we're juice against ourselves because ourselves are juice about ourselves for hating ourselves for being juice against juice people, who are juice against us!
Hahah! I... don't get it.
Get it now?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13527 on: August 08, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »

Oh.

...Why?
Hello Hunam

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13528 on: August 08, 2012, 05:06:34 pm »

If everyone's wearing baggy pants, do you think no one is going to be hired? Companies aren't known for sticking to ideals, so I doubt they'd go without employees out of some anti baggy pants principle.

Blaming job loss on clothing style is ludicrous. This is unabashed victim blaming with an absurd excuse.

Oh, now you are just stereotyping racists!
When the criteria for being in a group is X, accusing them of X is not stereotyping.

Now, if you were to claim all racists like hotdogs (or something equally arbitrary), that would be stereotyping. And silly.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:08:38 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #13529 on: August 08, 2012, 05:08:31 pm »

And that is why it is in the WTF thread instead of one of the ideology threads.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 11039