Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14519585 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #12765 on: July 21, 2012, 11:55:20 am »

Raw materials can be made in other ways. We've become rather good at synthesizing proteins. So unless you're sympathetic to killing bacteria... (though practically speaking, even if we invent food replicators, most the raw materials are probably going to come from plants)

There's also research being done for growing meat. Like, without the animal. In a lab. I'm actually kinda legitimately hoping that one picks up steam and becomes cheaper than raising livestock.

Give me an alternative, and I'll happily let the cows and suchlike become useless (and shortly thereafter either extinct or vastly reduced in population :P).
Depending on how you look at it, we've already decimated a bunch of livestock species. Population numbers aren't everything when determining the health of a species. Domestication and selective breeding means they wouldn't survive long out in the wild, plus their natural habitats are pretty much gone. If we stopped eating them, they'd end up like the buffalo (few pockets here and there, kept alive solely due to preservation efforts).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12766 on: July 21, 2012, 11:57:55 am »

Reading thing called world embryo.
Started reading this, wut.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12767 on: July 21, 2012, 12:01:16 pm »

Yeah, that's always been a kind of catch-22 to reducing livestock usage, t'me. There's a number of species that the only reason they're still around (outside the preservation efforts) is strictly because we find them useful somehow, usually for consumption.

It's like... meat is murder, but not!meat is extinction. Oh dear. "Keep cows alive to consume their children" is kind of a terrible campaign slogan.

About a third of the way through (the translated stuff) since I started reading this morning. Chainsword still makes me giggle, especially considering the teeth are actually retractable. Manga's been pretty decent so far, though.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:04:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12768 on: July 21, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »

Yeah, that's always been a kind of catch-22 to reducing livestock usage, t'me. There's a number of species that the only reason they're still around (outside the preservation efforts) is strictly because we find them useful somehow, usually for consumption.

It's like... meat is murder, but not!meat is extinction. Oh dear. "Keep cows alive to consume their children" is kind of a terrible campaign slogan.

About a third of the way through (the translated stuff) since I started reading this morning. Chainsword still makes me giggle, especially considering the teeth are actually retractable. Manga's been pretty decent so far, though.

Humans: To every animal on earth, we are the Eldritch Abomination Aliens come to take over your world and eat your babies.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12769 on: July 21, 2012, 12:17:22 pm »

And then Humans were Cthulhu.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12770 on: July 21, 2012, 12:19:41 pm »

For the livestock that do remain, they would probably have a vastly greater quality of life than they currently do now - consider horses now and 250/300 years ago.
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12771 on: July 21, 2012, 12:22:00 pm »

As long as we're thinking like radical animal rights activists (poodles are people too!), this analogy works:

Imagine if aliens came down, To Serve Man style, and caged us up for food production. They have the same attitude toward us as we have toward our livestock. No quirky Independence Day tricks will save us, either. Would you prefer:

A) Eternal slavery + slaughter at one's prime age, or
B) Nigh extinction + freedom

Most people I imagine would choose B (according do all the sci-fi I've seen on the matter, anyway). There are some happiness in slavery arguments to be made (like having no responsibilities or fears beyond the inevitable, and perhaps ignorance is bliss if the inevitable is kept secret (it's not like cows know what's going to happen)), but those tend to fall flat.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12772 on: July 21, 2012, 12:26:11 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.
But seriously, B. I'd rather die fighting that be forced to subject my children and the future of the human race to such an existence.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12773 on: July 21, 2012, 12:28:14 pm »

Well, it wouldn't really be freedom, though. More like benign (at best) neglect and being shoved into whatever wasteland the dominate species didn't feel like utilizing for something else, assuming there's any of said wasteland they're willing to not utilize. In the past, at least, humans have demonstrated semi-regularly they're quite happy to capitulate for better conditions in situations like that, hum...

Are there any wild horses that exist outside of preservation (or something similar) land? How are they doing?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12774 on: July 21, 2012, 12:31:03 pm »

I believe there are, and I would assume not very great.

And I suppose perhaps you would be right. A great majority of humans would probably just give in. At least the race would survive on, even though we'd be glorified cattle. So, everyone would be American. :P
There would also be the fact that at any point in time, if the aliens so decided, they could just come in and wipe out the 'free' remnants of the human race pretty much at will.
He's fucking with us.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12775 on: July 21, 2012, 01:56:57 pm »

/
As long as we're thinking like radical animal rights activists (poodles are people too!), this analogy works:

Imagine if aliens came down, To Serve Man style, and caged us up for food production. They have the same attitude toward us as we have toward our livestock. No quirky Independence Day tricks will save us, either. Would you prefer:

A) Eternal slavery + slaughter at one's prime age, or
B) Nigh extinction + freedom

but we have been harvesting you for years!
we simple take from countries no one really cares about
but dont worry, now we are fattning you all up it will be time for harvest party and you are all invited for dinner
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12776 on: July 21, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »

You don't want to eat me! I haven't showered in a week! And I'm like, all elbows! Elbows and gristle!

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12777 on: July 21, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »

Not a big WTF, but this doesn't belong in the happy or sad thread, so,

Ireland has the highest QoL in the world, according to wikipedia.
I don't know why I never expected that. no-one ever expects the Irish Inquisiton to come to their house with puppies, a glass of lager, and an invitation to that neat party and O'neils house!

HA!HA!
Ireland has the highest QoL in the world in 2004, political PR and only for few
Ireland has the lowest QoL in the europe in 2011, The reality.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12778 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:34 pm »

If you're right, Wikipedia really is behind on the times...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #12779 on: July 21, 2012, 02:52:59 pm »

Firefox: youtube doesnt work anymore. Wtf?

Chrome: "When I open you, load google search page." "Sure boss, Ill load some page with link to google and to some store page" WTF?!
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 11037