Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14518486 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #12675 on: July 20, 2012, 09:17:43 am »

Eccentrica Gallumbits?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12676 on: July 20, 2012, 09:28:19 am »

On topic, there is a town in Alaska whose mayor is a cat.
Things Dwarf Fortress have taught me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12678 on: July 20, 2012, 11:04:21 am »

Why the fuck do people who you are taking a message from over the phone ask you if they need to wait for you to get a piece of paper and a pencil when they know you are in front of a computer?

I'm sitting in front of one of the most advanced pieces of technology the world has ever seen, arguably the pinnacle of 50,000 years of human evolution. And you want me to replace it with two hunks of dead tree and a stick of metal?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12679 on: July 20, 2012, 11:05:56 am »

Because humans are also incredibly stupid for being so smart.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12680 on: July 20, 2012, 11:10:52 am »

Why the fuck do people who you are taking a message from over the phone ask you if they need to wait for you to get a piece of paper and a pencil when they know you are in front of a computer?

I'm sitting in front of one of the most advanced pieces of technology the world has ever seen, arguably the pinnacle of 50,000 years of human evolution. And you want me to replace it with two hunks of dead tree and a stick of metal?
Do you know how many times the opposite has happened to me?
"Okay, lemme give you the number to call..."
"Wait, let me get something to write with."
"....you're at your computer. I know this because I'm remotely connected to it. In fact, fuck it...I'll TYPE THE NUMBER ON YOUR SCREEN."

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12681 on: July 20, 2012, 11:11:11 am »

Honestly, it's probably just habit. They default to asking about the paper simply because that's what they normally do over a phone... probably just run into people not if front of a computer with enough regularity it becomes the default for them.

Either that or they don't realize you're in front of a computer, I guess. You might be overestimating them when you say they know you're at computer :P

Also entirely possible they're more used to dealing with people that have a preference for writing stuff like that down instead of typing it in, o'course.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:12:44 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12682 on: July 20, 2012, 11:17:24 am »

I know I prefer paper for random notes, rather than .txt files scattered over my desktop.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12683 on: July 20, 2012, 11:43:35 am »

I watched a kim dotcom video because somebody in my gaming community linked it, shared the vid with a few friends, etc.

SUDDENLY
You have recieved an invite for the steam group "free kim dotcom"

WTF?
Is steam trying to beat google in information-gathering or something?
Or is this just a weird coincidence?

EDIT:

Oh, the admin of the group is one of the head admins of my gaming community :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12684 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:30 am »

Steam doesn't send invites.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12685 on: July 20, 2012, 11:49:58 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:59:39 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12686 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:09 am »

John sounds like a fun guy to me :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12687 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:14 am »

seems to be WTF/ragey to me.

I think you need a long holiday. and when you leave the company, you can leave a card on your desk telling them to go screw themselves.

The problem with being self employed is, there's no one you can tell to take this job and shove it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12688 on: July 20, 2012, 12:19:57 pm »

'I quit!'
'No, you're fired!'
"Oh, boss, here's your medication. I forgot to give it to you this morning."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12689 on: July 20, 2012, 12:21:11 pm »

I think the magistrate doing arraignments is purposefully giving me the worst god damn assigned criminal defense cases she can find. Not sure what I did to piss her off (this time).

In keeping with this theme another lawyer I know also seems pissed off at me. He referred me a case where it appeared a woman and her husband were having problems with a condo/homeowner's association. So fine, I talk to them. She doesn't know what the problem could be.

She owns 17 cats.... John, you fucker. I feel I was denied critical need to know sit. rep.  on this referral.

He really should've gotten her to legal aid or something, because damn. I mean really. In any event I know several farmers, who agreed to take about 7 of the cats, after I talked her into realizing that .... god damn. It isn't like the animal shelters want a shit ton of cats all at once like that. I guess they can chill out in the barn with the cows or whatever.

So I call up John. His secretary transfers in the call to him, and from the get go, he is laughing his ass off.... Prick.
I'm with kaijyuu on this one. That's actually kinda hilarious. That said, if I were John I'd be sending over a vintage and expensive bottle of whatever your favorite liquor is, as the "thank you for taking that shit sandwich off my plate" gift.

Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848 ... 11037