Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514228 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #12375 on: July 14, 2012, 08:19:06 pm »

@ Atheism: Well, when you get athiests who take delight in telling religious types how they're "wrong", they really become no better than those door-knockin' types they love to mock. :P

See, but we're right so that makes our mockery better.
Yeah, all you've got is a book. We've got lots of books!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12376 on: July 14, 2012, 08:22:20 pm »

And you're going to use these books, what for? Blunt trauma? 'Bout the only use they'll have in settling any debate :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12377 on: July 14, 2012, 08:27:26 pm »

Do you know how much it would hurt if you got all of Richard Dawkins' books dumped on you via catapult? That's sure to end any argument.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12378 on: July 14, 2012, 08:47:08 pm »

Ah, but think exactly how many copies of the bible there are. Not to mention every other non-athiest religious text.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12379 on: July 14, 2012, 08:51:20 pm »

Some of those fancy gold-plated bibles would have been pretty hefty. :P
Which books could you build a better bunker out of, though? To y'know, protect from the rain of books.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12380 on: July 14, 2012, 08:54:10 pm »

Well, a bible is more likely to be hardcover, so I'd pick the religious books. Now, if you want to know how to build shelter, that's another story.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12381 on: July 14, 2012, 08:54:30 pm »

Ah, but think exactly how many copies of the bible there are. Not to mention every other non-athiest religious text.
Or just noticeably different versions, really, ignoring the raw weight of the copies. Dawkins is pretty heavily outnumbered just by major English translations of the bible, never mind the various major fanfictions that have sprung followings.

That's even ignoring the various text on the sides. Theology has frankly produced at least as much raw bullshit-in-text-form as philosophy has, so a numbers game is probably a bad one to try to play. And that's probably per major religion, to say nothing of all the rest.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12382 on: July 14, 2012, 08:57:33 pm »

*stuffs cannon with 500 translations of A Critique of Pure Reason and urea gunpowder*

Come at me, Pope.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12383 on: July 14, 2012, 09:02:05 pm »

I must say, building book forts and book catapults is perhaps the best possible outcome of a religious debate.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12384 on: July 14, 2012, 09:04:34 pm »

This entire debate is amusing.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12385 on: July 14, 2012, 10:21:03 pm »

met a weirdo city person who has a reality problem.
Why?
Because she did not want to sit on some grass on the park on the grounds of "worms live in it and its real". Apparently real grass is horribly icky and fake plastic stuff is so much cleaner. She has never gone to the seaside and no interest in going as fish piss in it and sharrks will eat her. she loves concrete as its clean and solid and not natural. Also hates fresh food and is addicted to processed everything as its clean and not from the dirty ground. more to my WFT moment was when I discovered she thought milk and eggs come from factories.
As someone born and living in the deep countryside, who grew up on a farm and has a hatred of cities and increasing hatred of those who come from that culture (dont get me started on the culchies either). I like my cows and love eggs esp goose eggs. This from her was close to saying she was a idiot and nutter.
How can anyone in this day and age not know where eggs and milk come from? To actually like concrete instead of reality?
She was a fine holestein type girl as well, such a pity she is nuts.
Views? do you think like her aor have come across this city damaged thinking.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12386 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:45 pm »

I'd love to live in a city. I live in this halfway suburb that still has some scattered farms but mostly houses nowadays.

Anyway I seriously doubt she was "city damaged" but was just one of those people who never payed attention in school. And concrete is neat; man made rock!

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #12387 on: July 14, 2012, 10:46:31 pm »

@Lord Inquisitor: I used to live in the city, and now live on a farm. I prefer my eggs and produce infinitely more to anything I could buy in a store :D If I had livestock other than rabbits I'd be on cloud nine, but I still have to buy pork and beef :( I can't understand how someone could think that all of their food comes from factories; damn nutters
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12388 on: July 14, 2012, 10:47:57 pm »

... Factories? Humanity is doomed. :/
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: July 14, 2012, 10:56:29 pm »

I hate cities. Hate them. Too noisy, too crowded, and the neighbors get pissy if you fire up the forge.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 11037