Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504566 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #12015 on: July 08, 2012, 01:23:37 am »

I never understood HOW the folds in a brain make it more advanced.

I mean, I understand that it DOES, but it seems to me that with more folds, there would be less actual neurons in the brain?

I know it has something to do with the surface area, but you'd think that more than just the neurons on the surface would matter, and that with more folds and creases, there are less neurons and neural connections (compared to a skull positively stuffed with criss-crossing neurons everywhere) and therefore, less advanced.

I SO FONCUSED. ;_;
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: July 08, 2012, 01:32:50 am »

I never understood HOW the folds in a brain make it more advanced.

I mean, I understand that it DOES, but it seems to me that with more folds, there would be less actual neurons in the brain?

I know it has something to do with the surface area, but you'd think that more than just the neurons on the surface would matter, and that with more folds and creases, there are less neurons and neural connections (compared to a skull positively stuffed with criss-crossing neurons everywhere) and therefore, less advanced.

I SO FONCUSED. ;_;
This may be a bit simplistic and not quite right (I never really studied the brain in depth,) but from what I gather, the brain is like a hugely complex computer, in which each neuron represents RAM, and the connections between those neurons represent processing power. Chains of neurons (or pathways in the brain) represent memories and, essentially, HDD space. Essentially, the more complex the brain gets, the more powerful it gets.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12017 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:31 am »

Yes, I understand that much.

What I DON'T understand, is how the folds in a creased brain make it much more advanced than a smoothed brain, more intelligent.

I know that it DOES, but that actual mechanics of it, I don't understand.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: July 08, 2012, 01:42:25 am »

What you'd be looking at is, as far as I know (let me preface with that, as I'm sure that there is someone on here that knows more about this than I do,) increased complexity, leading to increased pathways, meaning more powerful brainz. Our neurons (in a folded, crinkly brain) are connected to exponentially more stuff than in a smooth brain, allowing for a vast increase in intelligence.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12019 on: July 08, 2012, 07:07:13 am »

What you'd be looking at is, as far as I know (let me preface with that, as I'm sure that there is someone on here that knows more about this than I do,) increased complexity, leading to increased pathways, meaning more powerful brainz. Our neurons (in a folded, crinkly brain) are connected to exponentially more stuff than in a smooth brain, allowing for a vast increase in intelligence.
This is pretty much how I understand it, if I'm remembering things correctly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12020 on: July 08, 2012, 08:03:22 am »

Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that only the first few mm of brain matter (the cortex) are responsible for the actual "thinking" (whatever that might be), and by the brain folding it exponentially increases the amount of material availiable to form the cortex.
This is a blank sig.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: July 08, 2012, 10:21:20 am »

Right. It's the same principle as a fractal like the Koch snowflake, which has infinite perimeter but finite area. By acting fractal-ly, the brain can fit a hell of a lot more area into the same space than if it were smooth.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: July 08, 2012, 01:19:27 pm »

Why is there still no dislike or F Off! button on facebook.

If you look like you eat all the pies yes you eat the pies,pieshop and owner and no you do not look pretty you forklift breaking lump of lard and reflection on american food
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: July 08, 2012, 01:22:55 pm »

Why are people still friends with people who prompt that sort of reaction on Facebook?
*Hugs*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: July 08, 2012, 01:25:59 pm »

Why do people use FB in the first place?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12025 on: July 08, 2012, 01:27:41 pm »

To throw links at people.

Or for Farmville.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »

I look really young for my age (that and no Adam's apple helps me pass as female rather well thankfully) and I usually just wear a suit minus the jacket and tie in this heat, so slacks and a dress shirt. I've been noticing several old people not taking me seriously for some reason, and probably due to looking young. [sigh]. I don't get it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:41:08 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #12027 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:51 pm »

Because nobody uses MSN Messenger any more, and Skype is shit. But I have a few people who I want to keep in touch with, and I'm not a fan of texting but setting aside specific times to talk to people's actual voices is too much effort.

Plus I get to watch people I didn't particularly like at school slowly explode from the inside out as their dreams crash and burn around them. That's always fun :D

I do wish Google+ has taken off, because I do actually prefer G+'s interface to Facebooks. And if I have to choose my evil overlords, Google wins hands down.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:39:35 pm by MorleyDev »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #12028 on: July 08, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

I don't even go on my normal facebook any more :P

I only ever check my furry one, and even then I rarely do.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12029 on: July 08, 2012, 01:42:21 pm »

I look really young for my age (that and no Adam's apple helps me pass as female rather well thankfully) and I usually just wear a suit minus the jacket and tie in this heat, so slacks and a dress shirt. I've been noticing several old people not taking me seriously for some reason, and probably due to looking young. I love this reverse age discrimination thing. It's so great.... [slight fume]. Why would these old people see a lawyer, then ignore the advice and then bitch about the higher bill to fix what wouldn't have blown up if they had just listened? It's all the worse because the other side got a local lawyer who is basically folk lore in this town and attorneys have feared him for years. "What do you mean you're not sure if you can beat him?" <--- panicked idiot client just now realizing it actually was serious and they should've listened....

[sigh] Why do I bother with preventative advice? Nobody listens. I just should start on the solution for when they inevitably ignore my advice and I have to fix the screw up.
Preventative Fixing?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 11037