Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14476914 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10725 on: June 10, 2012, 02:02:02 pm »

Ducks are really stupid about standing in the road, though. It's like they want to get hit.

And you know what the worst part is? They have wings, and they fly thousands of miles to migrate, so they could totally fly OVER the road, out of the way of oncoming traffic very possible death, but Noooo.

Here we have Canadian Geese, and those damn things are mean. I have been ever so tempted to just lay on the horn for a few minutes and show them what honking is. I imagine they'd either ignore it, challenge it, or make my car their god.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:26:33 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: June 10, 2012, 02:03:01 pm »

I don't think baby ducks can fly that well
It's FEF, not FEOF

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: June 10, 2012, 02:04:42 pm »

All the other birds stay in the nest til that's remedied, but the ducks just have to strut across traffic.... :P

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: June 10, 2012, 02:05:23 pm »

Perhaps not, but they can at least run a bit faster, or at least pretend to care that a large, fast moving, and rather noisy object is hurtling toward them. Never seen any other species of bird that is so braindead.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: June 10, 2012, 02:07:54 pm »

Very few animals can tell that a car is coming for them. Almost everything about a car is built to break their neurological wiring - it simply doesn't move like something that's approaching, especially something the animal needs to move away from. You can see this even in kids - especially from straight on, they simply have great difficulty in telling if a car is stopped or actually moving towards them.

In summary: Ducks are going to continue being stupid and standing in the road until evolution does it's thing. ;)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: June 10, 2012, 02:09:30 pm »

Very few animals can tell that a car is coming for them. Almost everything about a car is built to break their neurological wiring - it simply doesn't move like something that's approaching, especially something the animal needs to move away from. You can see this even in kids - especially from straight on, they simply have great difficulty in telling if a car is stopped or actually moving towards them.

In summary: Ducks are going to continue being stupid and standing in the road until evolution does it's thing. ;)

That would be unfortunate, because duck is actually tasty. I hope we start raising those things like chickens.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: June 10, 2012, 02:18:23 pm »

...we do raise them like chickens. I knew several people who raised ducks when I was younger.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10732 on: June 10, 2012, 02:18:58 pm »

It doesn't help that some cars are designed to look like they're moving whilst they're stationary. Also, there's something that happens amongst animals, notably rabbits, that causes them to freeze and stare at the headlights of approaching cars.

Alnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: June 10, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #10734 on: June 10, 2012, 04:47:18 pm »

Hm, I haven't had many duck-in-the-road encounters. Turkeys, on the other hand... at least four or five times a summer, my drive is interrupted by a literal horde of fifteen or twenty turkeys who proceed to mill about in the road, completely ignoring the huge, metallic honking monster revving its engine at them from a few feet away. They just blithely strut around and gobble. Bastards.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10735 on: June 10, 2012, 04:52:47 pm »

Then you must eat them.

I ran over a duck once. It went right under the center of my truck with a thump and cloud of feathers in my rear view mirror. I should have stopped and gone back to see how much more plucking it would need.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: June 10, 2012, 05:00:21 pm »

We've got some huuuuge wild turkeys around here, they come round our back yard to search around the bird feeders for spilled bird seed too. I would have thought the coyotes would have eaten something that big and slow by now, but apparently they somehow avoid being eaten.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: June 10, 2012, 05:04:26 pm »

They're mean. They have huge spurs and they're not afraid to use 'em. It's why I never get out of the car to try to shoo them away even when I encounter large groups of them that sit in the middle of the road for minutes at a time. I used to have a dog that was smart enough to walk off of his leash with us in the woods, and he loved to chase those things. Luckily for him, he never caught up to one.  :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: June 10, 2012, 05:07:24 pm »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: June 10, 2012, 05:20:46 pm »

So much to do

So much to see

Wut. What the hell did I just watch!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8K-w3gK3I&feature=autoplay&list=PL66871A5AEC242773&playnext=1

Go to 2:01. TOAD IS HORRIFYING

Also, "This doesn't look like an ending. This looks like a one-way ticket to f'en... to Cthulhu's realm."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 05:24:12 pm by Lord Dullard »
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 11037