Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481885 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10485 on: June 07, 2012, 01:59:47 pm »

I never noticed if there was a cool crowd at my school.

Except for me, of course. I was obviously the cool crowd all on my own. Grinding lockers on the way to class, walking the hallways on fire, tearing apart people who messed with me.

That makes me cool, right?
(I... don't think it actually did, now that I think about it. But it made people think I was crazy, and that's almost as good!

Also the fire bit was unintentional)

WTF is up with people breaking into schools after hours? This seemed to be, like, the most popular past time amongst people I knew for reasons beyond my comprehension.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: June 07, 2012, 02:01:02 pm »

Guess they just can't get enough schooling.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: June 07, 2012, 02:51:39 pm »

Oddly my school doesn't really seem to have a cool crowd so much as a "Associated group of jocks a lack of moral compass who are mostly ignored by the rest of the student body".

Then again, I may just not have noticed due to all my honors classes keeping me constantly surrounded by the likeable people. Or because I never leave the house.

And possibly because I have a weird reputation that results in most people not bothering me. I don't mean that I have a reputation for being weird, what I mean is that I have no idea what said reputation actually is, or why I have it. As far as I can tell it seems to be a combination of Memetic Badass, Nice Guy, and Adorkable.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: June 07, 2012, 02:58:32 pm »

My high school was basically a 4-way split between the preppy, rich, right-wing suburban kids; the kids who were bussed in from downtown; the WoW nerd-jock crowd; and the hipsters. In other words, a building full of obnoxious people I couldn't stand to be around, not least because of all the petty, moronic drama and the ego-stroking on the part of the people who were in the IB/AP classes with me, as if high school grades had any bearing on intelligence. The only people I cared about at all were the ones who didn't try to get near any of the groups.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: June 07, 2012, 03:06:38 pm »

My high school's cliques weren't very large or controlling. Everyone had their own little group, and only marginally interacted with other people. The "popular" kids were leaders in the various school activities, and none of them were (publicly) jerks. Loners such as I weren't uncommon. They were mostly left alone, too, unless they tried to edge their way into someone's clique. Then it got ugly.

My school's culture fostered... apathy toward those who were "unpopular." That's probably superior to fostering hostility, I suppose. But being nameless and faceless isn't all that great either. It was a "step in line with everyone else or get ostracized" type of situation.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:09:58 pm by kaijyuu »
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: June 07, 2012, 03:17:25 pm »

My typical response to "You're gay" remarks is saying, "Only if you want me to be!"

I've yet to hear a good retort to that.

"I thought you'd never ask"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: June 07, 2012, 03:19:10 pm »

Anyone who uses "gay" as an insult is probably to insecure to say something like that. But if not.... :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: June 07, 2012, 03:24:06 pm »

That, or they're a grade schooler from the 90s.

Unre: Went to install a game on steam, and for the first minute or so, my download rate was being measured in (three digits) bytes/second. That is not a typo.

3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: June 07, 2012, 03:33:28 pm »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-absolute-worst-things-in-the-world?ref=xpromo

Even with exaggerated language, the idea that anyone could consider these the "absolute worst things in the world," confounds the shit out of me. These are minor annoyances at best with the exception of the bug....
Comedy article.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: June 07, 2012, 03:37:07 pm »

Yeah, the whole using of gay as an insult went out the window about the time I got into 9th grade. IT phased into... pretending to be gay. No, dead serious, all the cooler guys would hold hands and rub eachothers backs and shit. It was really really weird. The whole faux-gay fad was even more disturbing than the idea that it's an insult.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: June 07, 2012, 03:46:26 pm »

Yeah, the whole using of gay as an insult went out the window about the time I got into 9th grade. IT phased into... pretending to be gay. No, dead serious, all the cooler guys would hold hands and rub eachothers backs and shit. It was really really weird. The whole faux-gay fad was even more disturbing than the idea that it's an insult.
Oh yes, I remember that.

3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: June 07, 2012, 03:53:34 pm »

Maybe your schools were just statistical anomalies. 90% gay kids instead of the other way around, and they were all just too nervous to actually act on it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: June 07, 2012, 04:24:34 pm »

Except that whenever they weren't dryhumping each other, they were being massive, demeaning cockbites jerks to their girlfriends.

Honestly, it isn't that strange. Seems to fit perfectly with other types of "Look at me, I'm so straight that it doesn't matter what I do!" activity.

3. Run Resize Enable

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: June 07, 2012, 04:57:29 pm »

Anyone who uses "gay" as an insult is probably to insecure to say something like that. But if not.... :)
Neh, I use it, and am totally fine with my sexuality and that of others. I use gay as an insult, and have used "sorry to disappoint you honey, I'm already taken *wink*" as a retort as well. With a swish of the hips to make it all the more fabulous. Gay isn't even a real insult. It's like using "nerd" as an insult, and I do that, too (and am a nerd).

Anyway I've gotten flak for this before, let me stop now and go find something wt-effy to rerail this thing. Such as Greek Politics! :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: June 07, 2012, 05:03:06 pm »

You call me a nerd and I'm gonna thank you. I don't care how venomous you say it; that's a mark of honor.
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 11037