Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14484432 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10425 on: June 06, 2012, 02:43:25 pm »

sounds fake to me, tbh
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10426 on: June 06, 2012, 02:43:40 pm »

Brain... Tooth? That sounds less like a serious side effect of a drug and more like an SCP.

Besides, at least in America, they have to relay every single possible side effect ever encountered, even if the evidence linking it to the drug in question is sketchy. If some dumbass in Bolivia takes 20 of the thing and downs it all with a keg of vodka, then does cocaine to top it all off, and he gets a tooth in his brain, that's a side effect for all those things. If cocaine was legally sold, it would have to list: WARNING, DOING COCAINE MAY CAUSE YOUR LEFT FRONT CANINE TO LODGE ITSELF INTO YOUR CRANIUM. ALSO CAUSES RAMPANT STUPIDITY AND TWITCHYNESS. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ADD, ADHD, OR ADHDHADHDHADDDHADHDHADHDD.

I doubt it's going to do anything, to the point where the chance is so small it's probably safe to say that the drug in question is 100% safe, as long as we aren't doing rocket science. Unfortunately Legal science has to be even more precise than the Large Hadron Collider.

Does it say something about having a queasy stomach? You'll probably get that before anything really bad; the body is fairly good at going "wait, this is hurting me".

http://rayfish.com/

Grow your own pair of shoes, genetically!
This is... whut.

They're genetically engineering stingrays for shoes now? The 1950's scifi community would be pleased.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: June 06, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »

http://rayfish.com/

Grow your own pair of shoes, genetically!

(not sure if real...)
wat

Pricing of a pair of genuine Rayfish sneakers currently ranges from $14,800 to $16,200
dubbel wat

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:55 pm »

It doesn't look like the ray actually grows into a shoe, but rather, it's pigmentation is altered to produce the desired color for your one of a kind stingray leather shoes. Very dwarfy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: June 06, 2012, 02:50:13 pm »

Well they are designing you a custom animals with genes tailored to your specific taste, raising it to adulthood, and then making a shoe out of it. You can't expect that to be cheap! Playing god and perverting nature to make a pair if shoes takes big money.

I agree, though - very very dwarfy.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: June 06, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »

It's probably fake. I doubt very much they can "gene-tailor" a stingray's skin pattern. Mostly for the reasons listed here
http://www.livescience.com/20705-transgenic-stingray-shoes-fake.html

I agree with the conclusion: If they can do such a thing, let them show their scientific legwork.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: June 06, 2012, 02:56:20 pm »

Personally, I think they are real... but that it isn't, as they claim, genetic. Maybe something more akin to tattoing the still living stingray or applying various environmental influences. Maybe some genetics involved to make it easier, if that's why they haven't launched already, but I VERY much doubt transgenics from the species with the pattern in question would have anything to do with it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: June 06, 2012, 02:58:31 pm »

Personally, I think they are real... but that it isn't, as they claim, genetic. Maybe something more akin to tattoing the still living stingray

If there's anything real about this then I suspect this is it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: June 06, 2012, 03:32:58 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:33:43 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #10434 on: June 06, 2012, 03:59:45 pm »

Best reason I can come up with is: Users/Clients are stupid. At all times and usually at least partially on purpose.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: June 06, 2012, 04:08:38 pm »

I much preferred it when medicine = "Take this magic pill and you'll be all better!" than "Roll d100: On 01-97, you steadily improve over 1d2 weeks. On 97, your skin falls off. On 98, you get cancer. On 99, you burst into flames. On 00, you do all three of the above simultaneously."
I'm tempted to sig this.
Too late.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: June 06, 2012, 04:18:35 pm »

??? MS should've been doing what they always did best: rip off UI's other people invented that actually work.
MS is doing what they do best. Its just that they did it with something far too new (Unity interface from Ubuntu, or at least in the general vicinity of it) and think desktop UIs work exactly the same as tablets and will work perfectly fine with the same OS. Thus Windows 8 was made, and doesn't seem to care that we don't need an entire sodding screen for the start menu. This isn't ye olde ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME computers like DOS, we have Aero and case-sensitivity, we don't need more silly effects than that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10437 on: June 06, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »

yeah, we have trouble doing far simpler things with genes, these guys are obviously bullshitting.*

*as everyone else has said
The only thing stopping us from cloning a person are silly moral arguments.

WHERE ARE OUR CLONES DAMMIT.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: June 06, 2012, 04:42:19 pm »

Stingray shoes are more important.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: June 06, 2012, 04:45:10 pm »

yeah, we have trouble doing far simpler things with genes, these guys are obviously bullshitting.*

*as everyone else has said
The only thing stopping us from cloning a person are silly moral arguments.

WHERE ARE OUR CLONES DAMMIT.
They are hidden behind the pro-life or religious or some other sometimes overly moral groups.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 11037