Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485573 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10395 on: June 06, 2012, 10:41:11 am »

Did... did he ever tell you what he wanted you to do with them?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:13 am »

I'm sticking with windows 7.

Why the fuck throw over everything?

A computer != a smartphone.
Its not because your smartphones appear to be horrible failures that we have to be crammed something horrid up our throat D:

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10397 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The guy is pissed off I drove his dead parents back to the nursing home and am billing him for it..... really?

How dare you give his dead parents back.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:58 am »

no ???
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: June 06, 2012, 10:56:00 am »

Apparently me breathing in my bed at night causes enough of a weight shift to make my floors creak and annoy the hell out of my downstairs neighbor (who is also unfortunately my landlord).   ???
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: June 06, 2012, 11:02:21 am »

no ???
Maybe they were your payment
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: June 06, 2012, 11:03:11 am »

no ???
I wish I was paid in human remains!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: June 06, 2012, 11:05:37 am »

no ???
I wish I was paid in human remains!

Cash, check, visa, or parent?

A.) Only those first three in order of preference.
B.) It's an arm and a leg, or your first born.... No, a thousand times, no.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: June 06, 2012, 11:38:25 am »

Yeah, first born is a bit too much.
Last born is MUCH more reasonable.

jk, obviously

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: June 06, 2012, 12:00:43 pm »

Here's a tip, kids: Never learn enough about medicine to understand Wikipedia entries on what you have and what they're prescribing you to "fix" it.
Just DON'T.

Long story short: They think I have one of the kinds of bacterial infections that you usually get from overuse of antibiotics when you're in a hospital or nursing home. I haven't been on any antibiotics in months, nor have I been in a hospital or nursing home in months. Nor have any of my family. So that's the first WTF. Left untreated, it could kill me.

Better yet? The antibiotic they're prescribing (yes, I'm already aware of the irony of using an antibiotic to kill something that's mostly a problem because of antibiotics) "is listed by the US National Toxicology Program (NTP) as reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen". HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE, WHAT? D:

Also, it rarely but occasionally causes Stevens-Johnson syndrome, also known as "your fucking skin dies and falls off".

And it has been linked occasionally to serotonin syndrome, where your body rapidly builds up toxic levels of serotonin. Despite what you might think, no this does not mean you get an epic buzz and die super happy. Instead, symptoms include very high fever, rapid heartbeat, muscle twitching, agitation and "hyperactive bowel sounds".
GREAT. That's how I always wanted to go out: like an Ecstasy overdose but with way more farting.

Jesus...I know these are extremely rare complications, but still....
I much preferred it when medicine = "Take this magic pill and you'll be all better!" than "Roll d100: On 01-97, you steadily improve over 1d2 weeks. On 97, your skin falls off. On 98, you get cancer. On 99, you burst into flames. On 00, you do all three of the above simultaneously."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:07:19 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: June 06, 2012, 12:03:08 pm »

The medical side-effect addition is just one of the many reasons RL 9.5 is far superior to RL 10.0

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: June 06, 2012, 12:06:52 pm »

I'm the sort who just says, "I can actually take it, tell me the side effects.... Sounds unpleasant.... Uh huh, and is there anything you could do for me if that happens or am I screwed? Either way, just trying to plan my day."

Please don't quote me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: June 06, 2012, 12:11:30 pm »

Doctors tend not to like being questioned by a Scientist about thier work. Possbly as they dont like the idea I could actually understand and pick holes in thier argument.

"So, whats this machine here Doc?"

"Thats an ultrasound imager."

"What frequency does it use?"

"I dont know, sorry."

"I do - it says right here in the user manual..."
This is a blank sig.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #10408 on: June 06, 2012, 12:14:09 pm »

User Manual!? They're Doctors (supposedly)! Doctors don't need to know how something works to assume that it works nowadays! >.>
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: June 06, 2012, 12:15:24 pm »

I'm the sort who just says, "I can actually take it, tell me the side effects.... Sounds unpleasant.... Uh huh, and is there anything you could do for me if that happens or am I screwed? Either way, just trying to plan my day."
I'm normally pretty rational about risk assessment. For instance, no worries getting on an airplane or worries about terrorist strikes. But that's partially because I have virtually no control over those things and so as a good Taoist, I don't sweat it.

But here, I'm the one who has to actually take that carcinogenic pill, stick it in my mouth, and swallow. That seems to make a difference, at least in the "Oh shit, don't let me end up as a fascinating sidebar in a medical textbook" department. I'm still going to take the medicine, I'd just be happier without knowing the intricacies of the black magic powering it, just as I'm happy flying without knowing the failure rates of the various components of the metal tube that holds me 35,000 feet over the Earth's hard, unforgiving surface.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 11037