Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488875 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10215 on: June 01, 2012, 01:02:48 pm »

The girl I am helping study for her bar exam knows and is ok with me being trans. Moreover, her boyfriend actually is ok with it too. She also knows I have a ton of issues about it and don't really like talking about it, because I must spend my entire life hiding it. Surprisingly, she's not the naive idealist who thinks I should just come out; the problem there is I pay all the costs for that proposed venture and the person suggesting it just feels good for a bit....

She's supportive, and honestly trying to be, but I can't really deal with it, because it's immensely painful. Simply, she's trying to be supportive and talk to me about something I'm spending a lifetime hiding....

You kind little fool. Study your property law questions more and talk about this less; the talking won't help you when you're all alone in that big examination room in Columbus wondering what the difference between a contingent remainder and a springing executor interest is. Nor will it help you remembering the issues of a life estate and who is responsible for maintenance of the property thereof.... Are you so overly optimistic as to think you can succeed where a dozen therapists have tried and failed? Don't you understand what happens if you fail this test and you can't afford to pay to take it again? If you'd be so kind, just be my friend, but mostly save yourself, because no one else can....

How dare she care about you, right? Maybe she thought you'd like to have at least one person you CAN talk to about it.
EDIT: Sorry, that wasn't intended to sound nearly as harsh as it came out.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:07:05 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: June 01, 2012, 01:11:37 pm »

Was going to say the same thing as the above. Do you not want a confidant? I, and most people I know, value those we can talk to freely. Maybe you don't, but it might just be that she has difficulty understanding it. And honestly, I think talking about it somewhat regularly with someone (who isn't a therapist) would be good for you, if difficult, from what little I know with you.

Have you tried explaining to her that your happy she knows, and that she accepts you, but that the thing you most prefer is the sort of casual acceptance often denied you - something that constantly talking about it disrupts? If you make her realize that not talking about it is what would make you happiest (and that she is still actually doing something to contribute positively simply be being around and accepting it) she might back off.

She probably appreciates your assistance and wants to help you in return.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: June 01, 2012, 01:21:48 pm »

My folks want to be able to use that fancy email button over the picture previewer in windows to send pictures in emails instead of hassling with the whole attachment buisness they are currently doing with the webmail.

I figure that that is easy enough and get them a copy of thunderbird so they have an email program for windows to point to and punch in their email, password, pop3, smtp and all that jazz.  It turns out yahoo requires their users to pay for pop3 service.  I tried IMAP instead, but that dosn't work either, seems yahoo only allows imap connections from cell phone networks.

WTF Yahoo.  I bet this would work if they used gmail.

EDIT:  Eh, smtp works, and all they want to do is send from it.  So I just threw in a bogus pop server, told it to never try to receive email and it seems to be working for what they need.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:40:20 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: June 01, 2012, 01:42:30 pm »

Yeah, I originally switched to yahoo from MSN because MSN stopped allowing it, and then I dumped yahoo because yahoo stopped allowing it. Super annoying.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: June 01, 2012, 02:06:25 pm »

I dumped yahoo because someone kept sending emails from that account after several password changes. And also the above crap.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: June 01, 2012, 02:10:58 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:47:55 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: June 01, 2012, 02:34:47 pm »

Understood. *hug*

Wish I had advice to give. I have some issues from my early childhood that I've only partially sorted through, and it was kinda the same thing where I wanted to talk about it, but at the same time I didn't because most people just wouldn't be able to comprehend. They'd THINK they'd understand, and nod slowly and cluck their tongue in a sympathetic manner, but really they wouldn't have a fucking clue what I went through.

So...yeah. *hugs*

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: June 01, 2012, 03:28:31 pm »

http://www.lassiquendi.com/TheHiddenRealm/ElvenPathBeliefs.html

Though the answers to these seemingly simple questions are quite complex, the short answer is that we are a group of people who resonate with the archetypes contained within the body of work treating of “Middle-earth”, and written by English author J.R.R. Tolkien; known collectively as the Legendarium. We know in our hearts that these are documents of Spiritual Truth, and we base our Path upon this. The Silmarillion is our sacred text.

As mentioned, we use certain shamanic methods (Olórmë) to communicate with the Valar themselves, and thus by a combination of logic and intuition is our collective Gnosis verified.

I appreciate uncommon ideas, but my appreciation does not prevent their receipt of my WTF.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: June 01, 2012, 03:34:01 pm »

Wouldn't be the first time a fictional religion got real-world adherents: Jedis...Heinlein's Church of All Worlds...Scientology...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:34 pm »

Wouldn't be the first time a fictional religion got real-world adherents: Jedis...Heinlein's Church of All Worlds...Scientology...
Pastafarianism?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: June 01, 2012, 03:41:35 pm »

Pastafarianism?
I really don't think flying spaghetti monster approves that name, makes it sound like he's being worshipped by people with munchies.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10226 on: June 01, 2012, 03:41:57 pm »

Scientology isn't a fictional religion...

It is the one of worlds most successful multi-level marketing cons.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: June 01, 2012, 03:45:54 pm »

Pastafarianism is still arguably "fictional" due to its totally satirical nature.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: June 01, 2012, 03:49:52 pm »

Scientology isn't a fictional religion...

It is the one of worlds most successful multi-level marketing cons.
Nothing saying it can't be both.

Oh! And how could I forget Discordianism? I actually know a couple who had a Discordian wedding. It was apparently very....different.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »

Haven't heard of that before.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 11037