Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14489582 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10125 on: May 29, 2012, 05:28:00 pm »

I dislike talking on the phone. I usually just send text messages unless it is a business call or something extremely important. Also, most of my phone calls last less than 1 minute since it is basically "Hey, sup?" "Not much, you?" "Not much, want to hang out?" "Sure, where at?" "Blah, blah blah. See ya in a few, bye." And that's the end of it. Important calls will last about 5 minutes but that's because it's usually me giving out directions to someone on where to meet them or getting directions for the same reason.

For me, text messages are just an easier way to talk to someone since it's akin to a forum thread where answers are usually not time dependent. Also, it's just easier to go meet someone then talk on the phone as phones feel impersonal and it's harder to get the right response from people if I don't have their full attention in person.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: May 29, 2012, 05:48:49 pm »

And then there are phone interviews. Where you can't see the look of poorly masked horror on the interviewer's face which would normally be telling you to change the subject to something you have some sort of knowledge about. :P

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #10127 on: May 29, 2012, 05:54:19 pm »

Thankfully haven't gone through one of those yet. As long as I can see the interviewer I can usually BS my way into the job. Only been turned down by one job so far and that was because of complete lack of preparation on my part :( Not like it was a really good job anyway though :)
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: May 29, 2012, 07:32:17 pm »

This fucking desktop at work is literally a Schrodinger's box. Close the case and the sucker hangs, but the moment i crack it open its starts working. Then the dvd drive and the hard drive hate each other and wont work if the other one is connected. Turn on Windows 7 and can't use any usb drives and i can't change permissions on the system. Screw it Go BUY A NEW one save me the trouble.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: May 30, 2012, 02:06:37 am »

So I was randomly thinking about science stuff and came up with this without ever being taught it. I knew the universe was expanding but never thought about the consequences of that.

Objects that appear to be moving parallel to each other actually aren't, but are angled toward each other just enough to nullify the expansion of space between them. Of two objects that appear to be moving the same speed and in the same direction, with one behind the other, the trailing one is actually moving faster (again to take into the account the expansion of space). The further apart two objects are, in order to actually appear identical, the more different they need to be.

Who knew?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #10130 on: May 30, 2012, 02:31:30 am »

That is AWESOME! :D I wish I could eloquently think of something that cool and then explain it. I have an interesting idea floating in my head but it is still fuzzy and not coming together properly :( Stupid theory of a constant volume universe where everything within scales downward with time >:{( Sounds bad now that I type it up, needs fleshy parts still...

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: May 30, 2012, 07:21:32 am »

So I was randomly thinking about science stuff and came up with this without ever being taught it. I knew the universe was expanding but never thought about the consequences of that.

Objects that appear to be moving parallel to each other actually aren't, but are angled toward each other just enough to nullify the expansion of space between them. Of two objects that appear to be moving the same speed and in the same direction, with one behind the other, the trailing one is actually moving faster (again to take into the account the expansion of space). The further apart two objects are, in order to actually appear identical, the more different they need to be.

Who knew?

Isn't that the theory of gravitational pull created by objects?

In other news body parts are being found all over the place in Montreal and Ottawa. There has been a torso in an abandoned suitcase, and a hand and foot sent through the postal service. I think someone is trying to get someone's attention. My guess is that they are just trying to get the story noticed and that they aren't trying to scare Tories. Maybe an attempt to flaunt what they can do?

There is also the possibility that they aren't linked, but I would guess that they are.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: May 30, 2012, 07:40:42 am »

Isn't that the theory of gravitational pull created by objects?
No, it does the opposite actually, pushing things apart (without actually pushing). Gravity overshadows it by a humongous margin for anything smaller in scale than a galaxy.

For now, anyway.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: May 30, 2012, 07:50:34 am »

I, meanwhile, abhor the telephone. Half the time it devolves into neither party knowing what the other one saying, for one. Two, pressing something up agains the side of your head is incredibly uncomfortable (though a good pair of mic headphones solve that problem) and three, fuck telephones.

It is the single most efficient way to suck all the joy out of a conversation.
God, so much this. Which makes it bitterly ironic that I've spent 16 years in jobs where I have a phone headset strapped to my skull for 8 hours or more a day.

I don't answer my personal phone unless it's my wife or a close friend. Sometimes not even then.
Coupled with that is the fact that I'm steadily going deaf, and my wife gets really irritated when I can't understand half of what she's trying to tell me on the phone.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: May 30, 2012, 08:08:34 am »

I also hate phone conversations.  I'm very heavily introverted, and would still prefer to do any business face to face rather than over the phone.  I've even lost plenty of money over my unwillingness to make a damn phone call.

In other news:  is it strange that I've grown fond of hot dogs drenched in buffalo sauce as a bedtime snack?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: May 30, 2012, 10:14:14 am »

You've probably had some pretty odd dreams lately :P

and yeah Phone conversation are bleh, it's like talking to someone face to face, only without any visual cues, which are the only things that I interpret well.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: May 30, 2012, 11:11:27 am »

If you stop answering it, people stop ringing you. Its beautiful.
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: May 30, 2012, 11:12:17 am »

My philosophy is if their call is important, they'll leave a voicemail.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: May 30, 2012, 11:14:52 am »

I really only do text messages. They can be alot cheaper and easier.

I had a weird MSPA dream lately.
John and Dave met physically and did a fistbump, and thats all i remember xD

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: May 30, 2012, 11:23:50 am »

Figuring I'll finally upgrade my box from vista to 7. I got a free copy of 7 Pro and a legit license key from my school's Information Technology student program.  I figure, ok microsoft, it's kinda cool you give out free copies of your software to the folks that will be fixing it for clients.  And microsoft gains a point or two in my book.

I figure I'm going to do a clean install, but I'm looking into other options for completeness sake and while checking out the in place upgrade option I come across what seems to be a silly rule.

Vista Home Premium(what I have), cannot be upgraded to 7 Pro(what I have a license key for).  But it can be upgraded to ultimate. And since all this pro/home/ultimate stuff is basically just plugins thrown on top of MinWin, and ultimate is actually a superset of pro and pro is a superset of home premium, there is no logical reason for it not to be doable.  Microsoft apperantly just decided one day that they don't want home users to upgrade to pro features without buying ultimate.

WTF Microsoft, three steps forward, two steps back.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 11037