Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467353 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #8760 on: May 04, 2012, 09:09:23 pm »

So apparently there is a semi-famous author in my family tree. I'm not quite sure of his exact relation, but I'm fairly sure that he lived two to three generations before me.

Cabell's work was thought of very highly by a number of his peers, including Mark Twain, Sinclair Lewis, H. L. Mencken, Joseph Hergesheimer, and Jack Woodford. Although now largely forgotten by the general public, his work was remarkably influential on later authors of fantastic fiction.

So I guess he was a fantasy writer. Though it is wikipedia, so eh. Still nice to know though. Definitely a big WTF.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Branch_Cabell
If nothing else, that picture of him just reeks classy.

Say, who wants to start another repeat into the "which branch of royalty is everyone related to" tangent?
I traced mine back to the norman conquest. A certain William Cabell. Not really sure where that fits in to royalty though...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: May 04, 2012, 09:16:43 pm »

So apparently there is a semi-famous author in my family tree. I'm not quite sure of his exact relation, but I'm fairly sure that he lived two to three generations before me.

Cabell's work was thought of very highly by a number of his peers, including Mark Twain, Sinclair Lewis, H. L. Mencken, Joseph Hergesheimer, and Jack Woodford. Although now largely forgotten by the general public, his work was remarkably influential on later authors of fantastic fiction.

So I guess he was a fantasy writer. Though it is wikipedia, so eh. Still nice to know though. Definitely a big WTF.

Say, who wants to start another repeat into the "which branch of royalty is everyone related to" tangent?
I traced mine back to the norman conquest. A certain William Cabell. Not really sure where that fits in to royalty though...
If you or a family member is really hardcore about genealogy, you're all but assured of finding a link to someone who wore a crown (or at least was mid-level nobility) if you go back far enough.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: May 04, 2012, 09:19:42 pm »

My family tree is damn near impossible to figure out. Mostly because the records are either sealed or have been destroyed. ;_;

I mean, hey, if anyone would help me pick up the torch, it'd be much appreciated. :P
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:23:19 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: May 04, 2012, 09:20:43 pm »

If you or a family member is really hardcore about genealogy, you're all but assured of finding a link to someone who wore a crown (or at least was mid-level nobility) if you go back far enough.
William and names beginning with J run in the family.

Also apparently my ancestors were hotshots so there's a metric fuckton of data on them.

I mean, seriously, just look at all of this!

From conquerors to settlers to fantasy writers. Hopefully I can carry on into the new generation with computer science :D

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: May 04, 2012, 09:24:51 pm »

Also apparently my ancestors were hotshots so there's a metric fuckton of data on them.

From conquerors to settlers to fantasy writers. Hopefully I can carry on into the new generation with computer science :D
I'm just happy to be related to Edward III (fairly badass, as monarchs go) and Daniel Boone (by marriage). My namesake's namesake was also a pretty substantial badass.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: May 04, 2012, 09:25:12 pm »

I know frak-all about my family's history. We used to live in Oklahoma before the Dust Bowl, then moved west. That's all I know for sure. I've heard stories about French nobility, Wild West outlaws, and Viking explorers (Erik the Red, if I remember correctly), but I have no way of knowing if any of it is true. It doesn't help that my last name is incredibly common, and thus a simple Google search is useless.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: May 04, 2012, 09:29:27 pm »

I'm just happy to be related to Edward III (fairly badass, as monarchs go) and Daniel Boone (by marriage). My namesake's namesake was also a pretty substantial badass.
I call your bet, and raise you another confederate badass.

But damn, 69 prizes is a lot. Your ancestor was pretty much a raider.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: May 05, 2012, 03:55:23 am »

The fuck did I manage to get banned from 4chan for 1 minute?
anyways, I liked their banned art thing, it's on a image updater, similar to mine and other peoples avatars, where if you hit f5 it should load a different one each time.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8768 on: May 05, 2012, 05:23:57 am »

The fuck did I manage to get banned from 4chan for 1 minute?

Did you:
  • Newfriend
  • Cancer
  • Heavy rule breakage
  • Board related breaking
  • Wrong place wrong time

?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: May 05, 2012, 05:37:58 am »

This is precisedly why I think such dick-waving is pretty pointless. That and the fact that gloating about long-dead people's long-forgotten claims has little bearing on current events.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: May 05, 2012, 06:47:47 am »

This is precisedly why I think such dick-waving is pretty pointless. That and the fact that gloating about long-dead people's long-forgotten claims has little bearing on current events.

I think that this sort of thing is pretty cool as long as you are aware that it is pointless dick-waving. It's no less pointless than any other form of entertainment, and proper family research at least gives you a little perspective on what those who came before you did.

But yeah, the moment someone starts feeling smug superiority because their great-great-great-grand father was Sir Von De Zu Hufflepuff Esq is when it goes wrong.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: May 05, 2012, 09:19:43 am »

I think that this sort of thing is pretty cool as long as you are aware that it is pointless dick-waving. It's no less pointless than any other form of entertainment, and proper family research at least gives you a little perspective on what those who came before you did.

But yeah, the moment someone starts feeling smug superiority because their great-great-great-grand father was Sir Von De Zu Hufflepuff Esq is when it goes wrong.
That's always been the point for me; just about everyone has some ancestor who was something or other, therefore it isn't anything to be proud of. Though I will admit that it is an interesting way to learn about people you might not have known about otherwise. S'all in good fun, as long as everyone realizes that the whole point of talking about it is to poke fun at the people who take such things seriously.

3. Run Resize Enable

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: May 05, 2012, 09:26:49 am »

That's always been the point for me; just about everyone has some ancestor who was something or other, therefore it isn't anything to be proud of. Though I will admit that it is an interesting way to learn about people you might not have known about otherwise. S'all in good fun, as long as everyone realizes that the whole point of talking about it is to poke fun at the people who take such things seriously.
I sort of just look stuff up and go 'oh that's neat' then compare with other people. It's not really the big deal that a lot of people make it out to be.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: May 05, 2012, 09:35:23 am »

One of my ancestors according to my father was the first ever recorded criminal in these parts when the Austro-Hungarian empire took over, dude apparently killed a priest for some reason then ran for his life, also had a coffe house and saved only one coffe mill X)

/dick-wave
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: May 05, 2012, 10:12:59 am »

The only thing I know about my family is that one side of my family (father's, IIRC) comes from Luxembourg.

Considering the entire population of Luxembourg consists of a King, three people and a goat, I'm probably related to everyone in the country over there.

It was a badass goat though.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 11037