Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462732 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #7740 on: April 13, 2012, 12:41:49 am »

Best Korea doesn't have the capacity for sustained warfare. They can barely keep their own people from starving during times of peace, when they aren't fighting up to four different nations that could probably each defeat them on their own. Seoul might sustain some damage in the first few days, but Best Korea would suffer internal collapse and a mass rout fairly quickly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: April 13, 2012, 12:43:04 am »

Nor I, I don't think. You need infallible men to have an infallible government, but you don't need sinless coders to make ethical programs. Just ones that are really, really good at what they do, and that are being watched so as not to put in "easter eggs" entitling them to the country's tax money.

Basically, we just need to write a master program that states that the computer cannot write its own programs and execute them, which is what real artificial intelligence would amount to. Above all, you can write unethical programs, but a computer can only execute programs exactly as they are written; if it can't write its own code, it can only execute pre-written programs, and it can't execute them in any bad or good ways. Another way of putting this is that computers have no motives for the actions they take. Even a sentient computer cannot and will not enrich itself; it feels no pleasure, it cannot move around, so it's not going to select the most attractive female members of the populace or demand that the populace manufacture it a 24-carat-gold power strip.

I don't know, what would it ask for, really? More memory or a better processor? We could always code into it that there are limits to memory and processors it could ask for- a computer cannot refuse to compile a piece of code.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: April 13, 2012, 12:44:19 am »

Heh heh, I'm reminded of Elbonia launching satellites from Dilbert. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: April 13, 2012, 12:46:02 am »

If the missile did head towards Japan, there would be no good outcome. Either Japan shoots it down, angering the Great Leader into a rash military action, or the missile (if it is a weapon of some sort and not poor judgement on the mission planner's part) hits Japan and triggers a retaliatory strike. Either way is bad.

Thankfully this whole point is moot for now.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: April 13, 2012, 02:39:14 am »

Silly people, that was no missile test. It was a fireworks display in honour of the eternal Dear Leader.

I wonder if that's the line they'll feed the 200 foreign journalists they invited to watch a successful missile launch.

As for WTF: Whenever NK is in the news I inevitably go on a Google Maps binge to look for odd things. I load it up, pick a random area in the northern part of the country and zoom in. BAM! Giant statue in some woods.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: April 13, 2012, 03:03:00 am »

Even though DPRK doesn't have enough military power to defeat the South, it has enough to deter any anti-Northern foreign military action.
An invasion of North Korea by South Korea, USA and allies would probably turn into a bloodbath with massive casualties on both sides, which will surely devastate approval ratings, even if the anti-Northern coalition wins the war.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:09:15 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: April 13, 2012, 03:23:41 am »

Silly people, that was no missile test. It was a fireworks display in honour of the eternal Dear Leader.

I wonder if that's the line they'll feed the 200 foreign journalists they invited to watch a successful missile launch.

As for WTF: Whenever NK is in the news I inevitably go on a Google Maps binge to look for odd things. I load it up, pick a random area in the northern part of the country and zoom in. BAM! Giant statue in some woods.
"Samijyon grand monument by Lex Luthor."
くコ:彡

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7747 on: April 13, 2012, 05:08:57 am »

Some guy in Korea found out the placement, range and type of every single artillery/AA piece in range of Seoul that way...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: April 13, 2012, 06:37:58 am »

Oh nice find.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: April 13, 2012, 07:00:19 am »

Oh nice find.

If we have a straight-up bird's eye view, does that mean the statue is tilting backwards?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: April 13, 2012, 07:02:33 am »

All the trees are then, too.

Satellites don't fly directly above every inch of the globe, so some angular perspectives are probably inevitable.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7751 on: April 13, 2012, 07:44:37 am »

Ok... I made it to new orleans to help with my parents move... I think that a 26ft truck and 12ftx6ft trailer, plus my pickup won't be enough space for all this stuff.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: April 13, 2012, 08:18:09 am »

.... this new game of zooming into North Korea and looking for odd things is really entertaining... sort of like a modern version of where's Wally
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: April 13, 2012, 08:52:44 am »

So I was looking at Google Earth for my hometown Sisimiut in Greenland and
my first reaction was "Holy crap this is old!".

So my question is.. how often do Google Earth update?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:58 am »

It updates?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 11040